Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #1

Just upgraded to clear lenses - pics before / after

it was super easy to do.
the pics show a nice improvement, but I can't tell you how much better it looks in person...really big improvement. Getting rid of the orange on the rear really helps the eye pick up the beautiful lines on the rear fenders instead of being distracted by all the crazy colors on the lights.

Old 11-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #2

before with orange

before
Old 11-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #3

and the rear

before
Old 11-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #4

and after

rear
Old 12-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
porsche986

clear lights are a MUST.. good job...

try replacing the orange bulbs in the rear lights with clear ones that flash orange or buy a set of silver bulbs from ebay that flash orange it makes it looks even better.

for the front, remove the headlight and use some plyers and twist and pull the orange film out then stick some clear bulbs in..

it looks stunning, as remember on a sunny day the orange is visable and looks the same. if you remove the orange film you will have a stunning boxster, with your boxster color white, it will look better than mine... mine is black and clear looks good, just amagine how your white car will look if you remove the film...

check my pic out
Old 12-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #6

Nice improvement! Congrats.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #7

I did this a while ago also. I don’t know why, but it really changes the look (for the better). My theory is that the yellow really draws attention on certain color cars ( i.e. black and white). Removing it reduces the distraction.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #8

gotta get a new picture up with my new badging...took off the silver 'boxster s' and replaced it with a single black 's'...looks great.
I'd like to finish off the clear light project as you recommend with the clear bulb stuff...any recommendation on brand of bulbs to get? is the scraping of the front headlights (or the removal of them, for that matter) hard. I'm a bit leary of removing the litronic set since they're so freakin expensive! And on the side markers, I was thinking of just using the clear bulb out of the old orange unit (but them it wouldn't come on as an orange light...just a clear light....anyone done that?

and where in the UK are you? I lived in Cobham, Surrey for many years as a kid.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #9
porsche986

Hi,

Doing the headlight change isnt that hard and it took me around 5 mins. As for the headlight bulb and rear bulbs, there are two types on ebay.com

the first is a silver tip bulb that is a normal orange bulb with a silver film around it.

the other one is a clear bulb but it flashes orange. highly recommended!

As for the side markers, i just use clear bulbs again on ebay.
I also put some high white headlight bulbs in, they come in white, blue, red and purple and are all legal.

I used red for a while and the amount of looks at night was amazing, people didnt know what the hell it was comming towards them with red glowing eyes lol

Anyways i took them out and switched to high bright carrera white. Now these red bulbs would look stunning in a red boxster as the red bulb is clearly visable during the day.

I think the guy was called troy from california i bought lots of sets off him from ebay last year.

H4 bulbs incase you wanna know.

I am from Newcastle by the way..

I did have a step by step picture instructions of the light hack on my old website www.porsche-boxster.com but porsche took legal action and claimed the website back under copyright laws blah blah blah blah...

by the way, i wish my boxster was white, i am 100% getting a white boxster next. I was going to sell my black boxster and get a black 1999 - 996 turbo not the cab version, the one with the hard roof, but now i will get another boxster it will look superb on my driveway. two boxsters hahahah piss nextdoor off...
This time i am getting a white one i dont care how far i have to drive for it.... i want a dam white boxster!!!

white boxster with red leather...
black boxster - will upgrade to white/black leather

it means i can lend my brother my black one and we can go driving in the country with the boxsters. I have a bmw M3 cab but it i will sell that which will help to pay for my next boxster.

Last edited by porsche986; 12-12-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
porsche986

Here is a picture i took tonight... you will see up close the orange has gone. Its just a case of twisting and turning the orange and it will come out. You can melt the orange with a solder iron the pull it out is a mangled clump of orange plastic, remember the orange block will never come out in one go you need to get it half out, cut it with a hacksaw then get the last bit..

the result:

If you need any more help let me know.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #11

is it this guy?
prostreetlighting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7940364460&catego ry=33717&sspagename=WDVW
Old 12-12-2004, 03:31 PM   #12

oh, and thanks for the kind words on the white.
I rather like it myself, and this is the slightly older 'biarritz' white which is a little creamier than the current white. I've got some factory carrera wheels, painted black at the factory, on order and they should be here in a week or so. I'm really looking forward to getting them on the car...they're considerably lighter than my current wheels and I think the black is going to look great of the white / black / black car.
I'll get pics up after I get them mounted.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #13
porsche986

not the same person, but he seems to do a nice set...