Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

Thumbs up 2009 Cayman S Battery Replacement

Hello Members:

After 6-good years of service I decided that my original Moll Kamina 580 80AH 380A # 999.611.080.00 battery was time to replace. I maintained the battery regularly over that time on a Ctek Multi-US 3300 battery tender/maintainer. I researched various brands and their manufacturer to aid in my decision. I chose the Autozone Duralast H7-AGM battery. The product was literally a drop-in and the vent hose disconnected from the Moll and plugged right into the Duralast battery without any issues. The product is made by Johnson Controls, a leading maker of automobile batteries. I was able to search the internet for a $15.00 coupon which even added to the Value Proposition. A CORE charge is applied to the purchase price which is credited when you return the old battery to Autozone. The complete changeover took about 15-minutes. To my surprise the Ctek Multi-US 3300 battery tender/maintainer has a setting for the newer AGM batteries. By the way, the new Porsche Macan is fitted with an AGM battery. The Ctek Multi-US 3300 battery tender/maintainer provided the necessary power to the system while plugged in and allowed for all settings to remain set correctly. It's worth checking out when you are ready for a battery change.

Rocketman

Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

I also did my research and decided on a duralast platinum AGM for my Boxster. Excellent choice.
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

duralast has been great for me.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
I like AGM batteries. Do use an AGM rated charger/maintainer with it though. Chargers with anti-sulfate function will cause damage.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I like AGM batteries. Do use an AGM rated charger/maintainer with it though. Chargers with anti-sulfate function will cause damage.
Not really correct, C-Tek maintainers use a special charge profile for AGM batteries that also uses a specific de-sulfating step as well that is designed for AGM use that will not harm the batteries, but will extend their lives.