Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Porsche Cayman Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Airbag system fault, will it ever go away for good?

This is my first year living in Virginia with my Corbeau seats in my Cayman and am having a hard time getting the airbag system fault to be cleared for good. Is it possible to fully clear the fault so that I may pass the Virginia State Safety Inspection? I have had it cleared but we triggered it somehow while repairing a faulty wire in the rear turn signal. Now my local shop says their super Porsche diagnostic wire cannot connect with my airbag system at all and they'll have to spend a lot of time, and my money, figuring it out with no guarantees. Any other people with Caymans in Virginia run year round with race seats and have passed the safety inspection???

MelissaPanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2

Did they install the wire harness that comes up under the seats to the seatbelt receiver that came from the old seats? You have to do that. And since its not the full wire harness from the old seats with airbags, you will also need to tape it together to make them keep contact.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Put the stock seats back in it for inspection, clear the codes.. it takes 10min per side. We do it on grid at track events all the time...

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaPanek View Post
This is my first year living in Virginia with my Corbeau seats in my Cayman and am having a hard time getting the airbag system fault to be cleared for good. Is it possible to fully clear the fault so that I may pass the Virginia State Safety Inspection? I have had it cleared but we triggered it somehow while repairing a faulty wire in the rear turn signal. Now my local shop says their super Porsche diagnostic wire cannot connect with my airbag system at all and they'll have to spend a lot of time, and my money, figuring it out with no guarantees. Any other people with Caymans in Virginia run year round with race seats and have passed the safety inspection???
I don't know of any state that would pass a car for state inspection with the air bag MIL on. Problem is that you removed part of the air bag controll wiring with the OEM seats; so you either have to add that back, or reinstall the factory seats and clear the MIL for state inspection time.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
but we triggered it somehow while repairing a faulty wire in the rear turn signal
Any time you remove a seat from any 98-up Porsche and go "key on" with it disconnected, you will throw the airbag light.

I'll take CA. Smog any day.. we have no state inspection..

B
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

someone with some Porsche tester knowledge and a factor scan tool should be able to code the control unit to not look for the in seat air bags if they are not their, and also for the air bag weight system that came installed on some passenger seats that will also cause a light
porsche99634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

Yes. You can turn off *some* of the airbags with a PIWIS.

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.