Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The reason I ask is that it seems as though most cam deviation issues here on the forum are on bank 1.
So I am curious and wondering why the issue favors bank 1.
Good call blue62. Mine 2001 2.7 has also bigger CamDeviation on bank1...
Bank 1: -8.22
Bank 2: -5.11

Plan is to drive this summer and pull the engine out next winter to change the VC pads (and clutch, FW, IMS, RMS,...).

Old 05-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #22

Bank 1 =9.12 Bank 2 = 3.97
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Bank 1 =9.12 Bank 2 = 3.97
Have you gotten a code on the bank 1 deviation. I have read here on the forum that 9 is the code trigger point.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
The reason I ask is that it seems as though most cam deviation issues here on the forum are on bank 1.
So I am curious and wondering why the issue favors bank 1.
Interesting observation. When I looked through the forum for variocam failures I found reports only for bank 1, never for bank 4. I`m talking about the green rubber debris that accumulates in the sump when the O-rings disintegrate inside variocam 1-3. I don`t know if it`s related.

As for the deviation: in my 99 986 base the chain pad at bank 4-6 was worn down to the ground and fell off. Bank 1-3 was not that bad. So it looks like an exception, I know nothing about the deviation values before the rebuild though.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Interesting observation. When I looked through the forum for variocam failures I found reports only for bank 1, never for bank 4. I`m talking about the green rubber debris that accumulates in the sump when the O-rings disintegrate inside variocam 1-3. I don`t know if it`s related.

As for the deviation: in my 99 986 base the chain pad at bank 4-6 was worn down to the ground and fell off. Bank 1-3 was not that bad. So it looks like an exception, I know nothing about the deviation values before the rebuild though.
Yup it was something that my brain locked on.
seems most issues are with bank 1
Another interesting thing is that 986's for the ROW market only report Camshaft Deviation values on bank 1. Or so I have read.
So why does bank 1 seem to have more issues that bank 2 in relation to Cam timing (Vario Cam timing components)issues??? Engine rotation direction creating certain wear patterns???? That's the only thing I have come up with so far. But it is just a WAG
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Yup it was something that my brain locked on.
seems most issues are with bank 1
Another interesting thing is that 986's for the ROW market only report Camshaft Deviation values on bank 1. Or so I have read.
So why does bank 1 seem to have more issues that bank 2 in relation to Cam timing (Vario Cam timing components)issues??? Engine rotation direction creating certain wear patterns???? That's the only thing I have come up with so far. But it is just a WAG
The chain guide block at bank 1-3 vs 4-6 moves the opposite directions. Perhaps the 1-3 pads (the chain guide block moves down at 1500 rpm) are exposed to more friction at the changovers. Another possibility is that one side gets more lubrication from the chain than the other. The two banks differ in many ways actually.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
The chain guide block at bank 1-3 vs 4-6 moves the opposite directions. Perhaps the 1-3 pads (the chain guide block moves down at 1500 rpm) are exposed to more friction at the changovers. Another possibility is that one side gets more lubrication from the chain than the other. The two banks differ in many ways actually.
Interesting so there are probably several things in the design that adds to the issue.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #28

No code yet ,Blue62
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenD View Post
Hey guys,

Over the winter I replaced my variocam pads and chains, along with the 3 chain tensioners and various other items. I retimed the engine using the very slick timing tool and rotated the engine several times to verify it was spot on. I hooked up my durametric yesterday after a 1 hour drive to see that bank 1 was at +6 cam deviation at idle, bank 2 is at zero. I did drive the car around and saw at one point that bank 1 was at 3 degrees but at idle it returns to 6.

I did check it last year before the work was done and i was at -9 cold and -6 after a 1/2 of driving. Bank 2 was at zero. IIRC.

Engine has 100K(60k miles) and is very smooth and runs beautifully.

Did i do something wrong?
Hey Darren, any updates?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk