Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #1

Recommended Oil Filter

I just purchased the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter and wanted some feedback from you guys. I have read a few comments on what others have used and what they recommend, but would like more input. I am leaning towards the K&N HP-1007 spin-on filter ... have never had any trouble with K&N filters across multiple vehicles. Have any of you used the K&N filter? Thanks for any input.

freserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #2

I use the NAPA Gold filter that is recommended by LN, why would you not?
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
100%, no need to overthink it.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freserf View Post
I just purchased the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter and wanted some feedback from you guys. I have read a few comments on what others have used and what they recommend, but would like more input. I am leaning towards the K&N HP-1007 spin-on filter ... have never had any trouble with K&N filters across multiple vehicles. Have any of you used the K&N filter? Thanks for any input.
The K&N is overpriced and not as good as the NAPA filter.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #5

Speaking of the LN spin on adapter - are there any similar adapters (for stock or aftermarket filters) that have oil line takeoffs built in to them? I know the DOF kits come with such a thing, but I haven't seen any sold individually. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Speaking of the LN spin on adapter - are there any similar adapters (for stock or aftermarket filters) that have oil line takeoffs built in to them? I know the DOF kits come with such a thing, but I haven't seen any sold individually. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
First of all, the DOF system takes oil from the cylinder head, not the filter. The IMS Solution, which is a patented design, uses the spin on filter adaptor. There are filter adaptors with AN lines on them to remote mount the filter itself, but I do not know of anyone other than LN that makes a quality spin on filter mount for these cars, possibly because the market size is so small.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Suggestions from others on other forums. But if you guys have used them without issue, I would trust that information ...
Old 04-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #8

Wix # 51348 .......... done ! I have been using these since Jake built my engine . It's a quality filter and available locally and online .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Try the 51348 XP (IMS Solution cars) or the 51042 XP for non Solution cars. The XP filters are designed for use with full synthetic oils, and offer a slightly finer micron porosity in the filter media.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:41 AM   #10

I am using a semi-synthetic oil in my car based on oil analysis ( many samples ) and Jake reviewing those samples . I will stay with the Wix # 51348 . But my engine is far from stock so your results may vary
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #11

FYI... Napa Gold filters are rebranded Wix filters.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:38 AM   #12

Thanks

Thanks for the responses and input. It is always good to hear other points of view ... I am going to send off an oil sample at my next oil change to get a baseline with the factory filter setup. Then I will install my spin-on adapter and K&N HP-1007. Next I will use the NAPA Gold with oil samples for comparison. I'll try at least 3-4 different filters just for my own curiosity. I don't expect any amazing results.