986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Recommended Oil Filter (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80030)

freserf 04-07-2021 06:15 AM

Recommended Oil Filter

I just purchased the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter and wanted some feedback from you guys. I have read a few comments on what others have used and what they recommend, but would like more input. I am leaning towards the K&N HP-1007 spin-on filter ... have never had any trouble with K&N filters across multiple vehicles. Have any of you used the K&N filter? Thanks for any input.

2ata 04-07-2021 06:45 AM

I use the NAPA Gold filter that is recommended by LN, why would you not?

BrantyB 04-07-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ata (Post 633119)

100%, no need to overthink it.

JFP in PA 04-07-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freserf (Post 633116)
I just purchased the LN Engineering spin-on filter adapter and wanted some feedback from you guys. I have read a few comments on what others have used and what they recommend, but would like more input. I am leaning towards the K&N HP-1007 spin-on filter ... have never had any trouble with K&N filters across multiple vehicles. Have any of you used the K&N filter? Thanks for any input.

The K&N is overpriced and not as good as the NAPA filter.

ike84 04-07-2021 08:09 AM

Speaking of the LN spin on adapter - are there any similar adapters (for stock or aftermarket filters) that have oil line takeoffs built in to them? I know the DOF kits come with such a thing, but I haven't seen any sold individually. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

JFP in PA 04-07-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ike84 (Post 633128)
Speaking of the LN spin on adapter - are there any similar adapters (for stock or aftermarket filters) that have oil line takeoffs built in to them? I know the DOF kits come with such a thing, but I haven't seen any sold individually. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread).

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

First of all, the DOF system takes oil from the cylinder head, not the filter. The IMS Solution, which is a patented design, uses the spin on filter adaptor. There are filter adaptors with AN lines on them to remote mount the filter itself, but I do not know of anyone other than LN that makes a quality spin on filter mount for these cars, possibly because the market size is so small.

freserf 04-07-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ata (Post 633119)

Suggestions from others on other forums. But if you guys have used them without issue, I would trust that information ...

rfuerst911sc 04-07-2021 11:52 AM

Wix # 51348 .......... done ! I have been using these since Jake built my engine . It's a quality filter and available locally and online .

JFP in PA 04-07-2021 12:06 PM

Try the 51348 XP (IMS Solution cars) or the 51042 XP for non Solution cars. The XP filters are designed for use with full synthetic oils, and offer a slightly finer micron porosity in the filter media.

rfuerst911sc 04-08-2021 02:41 AM

I am using a semi-synthetic oil in my car based on oil analysis ( many samples ) and Jake reviewing those samples . I will stay with the Wix # 51348 . But my engine is far from stock so your results may vary :D

husker boxster 04-08-2021 05:25 AM

FYI... Napa Gold filters are rebranded Wix filters.

freserf 04-12-2021 04:38 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the responses and input. It is always good to hear other points of view ... I am going to send off an oil sample at my next oil change to get a baseline with the factory filter setup. Then I will install my spin-on adapter and K&N HP-1007. Next I will use the NAPA Gold with oil samples for comparison. I'll try at least 3-4 different filters just for my own curiosity. I don't expect any amazing results.