Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

RMS Install Tool

Anyone out there know where to purchase a rear main seal installation tool for a 97 Porsche 986 Boxster?? I know there are several suggestions on making one but I would prefer to get it in right the first time. Porsche is outrageous for the price they charge, so I was hoping someone out there has and old one they are willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone
Les

rackets351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackets351 View Post
Anyone out there know where to purchase a rear main seal installation tool for a 97 Porsche 986 Boxster?? I know there are several suggestions on making one but I would prefer to get it in right the first time. Porsche is outrageous for the price they charge, so I was hoping someone out there has and old one they are willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone
Les
The ONLY correct tool for the PTFE replacement seal is the one from Porsche, and I have seen used ones selling for over $400.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:

Thanks everyone
Les
Check with CBXRacer - I rented a set of tools from him when doing my IMSB and Rear Main Seal.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Thanks everyone
rackets351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Les
Les,

Someone on rennlist sells a 3D printed copy of the factory tool. I used it in my install, and it worked well! I think it was $30-$40.
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
Les,

Someone on rennlist sells a 3D printed copy of the factory tool. I used it in my install, and it worked well! I think it was $30-$40.
That is just really cool.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
Will there be cake?

Garage
We used a piece of pipe from home depot and calipers to measure depth, (new depth, 13mm from end of shaft)...just like described in Dempsey's "projects" book. (project 44, picture 10) be careful and it works fine. I am about to do it again next week, same method.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1446810
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Les
Porsche Rear Main Seal Installation Tool | cheetahonline
Old 04-27-2020, 03:33 AM   #10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVS6w9BDTOc

He used a PVC cap from the hardware store. Probably less than $10. Looks he did it right to me.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote