Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
2001 Boxster S

Vacuum lines under plenum/throttlebody

Ive reviewed the diagrams, but I cant follow one of the lines (green arrow) unless I remove the intake manifolds.

Off the Y shape, I see one side going to the reservoir and the other to the check valve.

Where I'm pointing the green arrow in the picture (same hose as green arrow above), are those 2 hoses supposed to be connected together?

Maybe I broke it off while removing the starter??

Thanks for any insight.

Chris

SpIcEz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpIcEz View Post
Ive reviewed the diagrams, but I cant follow one of the lines (green arrow) unless I remove the intake manifolds.

Off the Y shape, I see one side going to the reservoir and the other to the check valve.

Where I'm pointing the green arrow in the picture (same hose as green arrow above), are those 2 hoses supposed to be connected together?

Maybe I broke it off while removing the starter??

Thanks for any insight.

Chris
Where does the other end of that hose go to? Iirc, it should go to the solenoid mounted on the fuel rail, left side. If that's it, then yup, I think you found it.
I've never tried to buy plastic vacuum hose like that, but I'd think a sleeve of rubber hose would patch that together quite nicely.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 03-21-2020 at 02:36 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yeah, those plastic vacuum hoses get very brittle with age. As Maytag says, some rubber vac hose will patch things up nicely!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

spIcEz,...did You use any trick to keep your computer memory,Iam about to chase a vacuum leak behind my Alternator and I didnt want to lose any..LOL Thanks Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Where does the other end of that hose go to? Iirc, it should go to the solenoid mounted on the fuel rail, left side. If that's it, then yup, I think you found it.
I've never tried to buy plastic vacuum hose like that, but I'd think a sleeve of rubber hose would patch that together quite nicely.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yeah, goes up to the fuel rail.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Yeah, those plastic vacuum hoses get very brittle with age. As Maytag says, some rubber vac hose will patch things up nicely!
Brittle indeed, I probably didint see it, and broke it as I was pulling out the starter.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
spIcEz,...did You use any trick to keep your computer memory,Iam about to chase a vacuum leak behind my Alternator and I didnt want to lose any..LOL Thanks Frank
I wasnt really hunting the vac leak, was replacing the starter. So I just unhooked the battery.

Did you mean keep the memory for the code?
If not that, there really isnt any memory that needs to be kept to my knowledge.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:18 PM   #8

Ohh, ok. Thanks...Why does that vacuum line go to the fuel rail,my car is a 02, 2.7 5 spd and I gotta have a vac leak somewhere, she' idles rough and gotta CEL !
Old 03-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #9
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Ohh, ok. Thanks...Why does that vacuum line go to the fuel rail,my car is a 02, 2.7 5 spd and I gotta have a vac leak somewhere, she' idles rough and gotta CEL !
Fuel pressure regulator? I think it maintains constant pressure between the fuel rail and the intake manifold.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
'97-'01 models have a vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. The '02-'04 models do not use it.

You will not lose any important data from your car by disconnecting the battery other than having to enter the code for the radio if you have a CDR 220, or 210. The only data that may be lost from the DME is the recent fuel trim adjustments and that will be created again from driving you car after the battery is reconnected. Any OBD codes or rev data will remain in the DME.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Some vacuum hose stuff....

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/62979-vacuum-confusion-solved.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/69281-where-does-go-vacuum-valve.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75676-can-someone-identify-random-hose.html
Old 03-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #12

Ahh Thats Great news on the Data 78F350 TY,.My vacuum Canister only pump's up to maybe 7-8 inches of vacuum..I have a hissing sound coming from that area,..I did a pretty good smoke test just after the TB,.Via the AOS intake hose,..the only smoke I seen was coming out of my airbox filter housing..I dont even know how that happens.!! Thanks Guys appreciate the info...Frank