Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

Too many things.... where to begin?

Hey y'all!

I took the car for a spin around the block just now; first voyage since entering the garage a couple months ago to undergo some upgrades.

ABS and PSM lights came on almost immediately. (So'd the CEL, but I think I know what that's about)

Typically, my trouble shooting begins with "what's changed?" But in this instance, the answer is "what HASN'T?"

New:
Coilovers (ride height is probably too low, more on that later)
Camber plates
Tarret sway bars and end links
Adjustable thrust bars on front
Adjustable toe links on rear
18" wheels (replacing the 17's)
Replaced transmission, too.

And, I painted the calipers, so they were dismounted and remounted.

I set the ride height about 10mm lower than spec for ROW SPORT, which I presume is M030. And then I set up some string lines and just got the alignment "in the park", as I'll be letting my race shop do a corner balance and alignment.

As I was leaving the drive, turning hard right, the left front was rubbing, and actually felt like it was "crabbing" a bit, as well. And that's about when the lights came on.

So....
Can I presume that the PSM light is on because the ABS light is on? Or vice-versa? Or are they so independent of each other that I'm looking for failures that impact both systems? For instance: if I've accidentally left one of my brake sensors unplugged (I don't think I did, but im speculating) triggering the ABS, could that ABS system off-line make the PSM light come on as well?

Any thoughts are welcome. It'll be Saturday before I can look at it again.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Totally a guess but I could imagine that the ABS and PSM are linked. As for brake sensors, you don't mean the pad wear sensors do you? If you track and/or otherwise maintain your car regularly (which I'm sure you do!) you can just eliminate those and twist the wires together. Sort of like the clutch switch.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Totally a guess but I could imagine that the ABS and PSM are linked. As for brake sensors, you don't mean the pad wear sensors do you? If you track and/or otherwise maintain your car regularly (which I'm sure you do!) you can just eliminate those and twist the wires together. Sort of like the clutch switch.
I do mean the pad sensors, and yes, I've done precisely as you described. I unplugged them and the wheel sensors when I was putting the coilovers on.

I'm laying in bed worried that the rubbing I heard may've been the wire running to the sensors.... and I broke it (the "crabbing").

I'm trying to forget about it since I can't do anything till Saturday. Haha

I think first thing I'll do is connect the durametric and see what codes I've got. (I assume it'll read ABS and other chassis codes? )

Old 02-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Racer Boy

My first thought was the ABS wiring harness on one of the wheels got either disconnected or damaged. It's handy that you have a Durametric!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:16 AM   #5

Garage
Have you changed any of your light bulbs to LED?

Sounds like an odd question, but I had both ABS and TC dashlights come on in my 98 after installing led brake light bulbs. The system seems pretty sensitive to current draw.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I do mean the pad sensors, and yes, I've done precisely as you described. I unplugged them and the wheel sensors when I was putting the coilovers on.
OK. So you unplugged them (pad sensors). However, did you twist the wires together to complete the circuit, thus preventing the light from tripping?
Old 02-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
You can also leave them connected and wire tie they out of the way
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
OK. So you unplugged them (pad sensors). However, did you twist the wires together to complete the circuit, thus preventing the light from tripping?
Sorry, I've been unclear.
Yes, twisted wires bypassing the pad sensors. been running like that for over a year.

they are in my list of suspects only because I unplugged them (along with the wheel sensors) when I was installing the coil-overs.

I was tentatively fearing (or hoping?) that someone would tell me that there's an obvious problem with such-n-such part's compatibility with the '03 PSM. That's the biggest reason I posted all of this. Some of y'all have been down the same road and I thought there might be some ".... aaaah..... I know what this is....". Excluding that, I'll just have to roll up my sleeves. :dance:
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'll just have to roll up my sleeves. :dance:
Dude, I thought always those sleeves were up. You're always improving your car, and I bet it's awesome.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #10
Who's askin'?

So I couldn't stand it, and I took 5 minutes to hook up the durametric.

ABS code 4440. Steering angle sensor.

I think this is all about my poop-ey half-butt "it's- too- cold- out- here" alignment. The steering wheel is aimed left as I'm headed down the road.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
#1 Don't panic and start fixing things that aren't broken and breaking things that are good. This problem is not uncommon and happens for a variety of reasons including a lower battery voltage after the car has been in the shop for a while, or a simple burned out brake light.

Rather than re-post my favorites from the search, I'll let you take your pick:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=abs+and+psm+after+sitting+porsche

I had the steering angle sensor code on my '04, and it simply reset and tested good the next time I took it out.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
#1 Don't panic and start fixing things that aren't broken and breaking things that are good. This problem is not uncommon and happens for a variety of reasons including a lower battery voltage after the car has been in the shop for a while, or a simple burned out brake light.

Rather than re-post my favorites from the search, I'll let you take your pick:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=abs+and+psm+after+sitting+porsche

I had the steering angle sensor code on my '04, and it simply reset and tested good the next time I took it out.
hehe, thanks. No Panic here. I'm pretty confident that a proper alignment will solve the ABS / PSM thing.

So, on to the CEL, but I'll start another thread.