Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Airbag warning light - need to be reset?

Today I replaced my steering wheel - proud picture enclosed - which obviously required that I unplug the driver's side air bag. Prior to this work I had unhooked the battery, but during the work I needed to hook the battery back up just for a minute for an unrelated reason while the air bag was unplugged.

Now that the car is buttoned back up, my dash air bag warning light is on.

Theory is that during the short time that the battery was hooked up but the air bag was unplugged, the car 'sensed' that there was a fault in the airbag circuitry, and that the dash warning light is serving as a lingering tattle-tale.

So, my question: With time and a number of operation cycles, will the warning light 'relearn' that the air bag is now fine and extinguish the dash warning light? Or does the dealer need to clear and to reset this code?

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
This code needs to be reset either by a dealer or someone with a Durametric. Nice wheel by the way
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Bummer ...

I was afraid of that.

Can the air bag code be reset by using the less expensive Durametric Enthusiast model, or does it require the more expensive Durametric Pro?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
I was afraid of that.

Can the air bag code be reset by using the less expensive Durametric Enthusiast model, or does it require the more expensive Durametric Pro?
Enthusiast model should be able to do it. I have the even less expensive Autel MD802 and have reset airbag lights in one of my '99s and the '01. It also does well on my Audi, my wife's Honda, my son's VW, and even a friends Dodge Ram truck.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Project Addicted

For $27 you can get a very early version of the software and do it at home.

Durametric Interface Diagnostic Cable For Porsche Car ,Can Access All Systems | eBay

DO NOT try to use the more modern version of the software. it will kill the cable.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post

Durametric Interface Diagnostic Cable For Porsche Car ,Can Access All Systems | eBay

DO NOT try to use the more modern version of the software. it will kill the cable.
Chinese cable. See comments by JFP elsewhere.Ironically it works(?) because it is such an old version.Oh well maybe there is some merit to the clone cables after all. Good suggestion thank you
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post

I bought one of those to play with when I got my first Boxster. It read the DME on my '99 but didn't work with any other modules (did not reset the airbag). It required a Windows XP computer and did not work with later versions. Not saying they all won't work, just be sure to read the fine print (if they bothered to print it).
Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I see you picked up the Crossfire Becker radio knobs too. Nice steering wheel too.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #9

That's the same wheel that I have. How do you like it?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Enthusiast model should be able to do it. I have the even less expensive Autel MD802 and have reset airbag lights in one of my '99s and the '01. It also does well on my Audi, my wife's Honda, my son's VW, and even a friends Dodge Ram truck.
Many thanks for your comments!

While my accidentally having triggered the air bag light is an annoyance, the experience has now offered me enough of an excuse to justify going out and buying a code reader / resetter, which I have been wanting to do ever since I bought the car.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
I see you picked up the Crossfire Becker radio knobs too.
Sharp eyes! Far too frequently in the past I would find myself grabbing the windshield wiper interval speed knob when all that I wanted to do was to change the radio’s volume. I am now hoping that, when viewed out of the corner of my eye while driving, I will more easily be able to take hold of the radio knob because of its contrasting color.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
That's the same wheel that I have. How do you like it?
I REALLY like it! The camera flash makes the blue stitching look brighter than it actually is, and likewise it makes the vinyl air bag cover look darker than the leather wheel rim. In the flesh these issues are both fine, and the wheel's smaller O.D. / flat bottom gives me some appreciated extra thigh clearance. So, while the wheel was a bit on the expensive side, I am very happy with this add.