Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #41

Garage
Geraintthomas, you nailed exactly how the car's current state is in, kind of mind boggling actually. By the way, I appreciate the helpful comments you've made, gave me some hope that there's still civil and helpful people amongst this community.

So I went ahead and ordered a SPEC stage 1 clutch last night. With my dual mass flywheel in good shape still, I'm going to stick with that and eliminate the potential rattle noise of a lwfw. I also purchased the Rear Main Seal and LN engineering's IMS retrofit kit(that got expensive quick) Not to mention the tool kit for $350...
I found out that my IMS Bearing is a dual row IMS. Is this better than the single row IMS?

Is there anything else that anyone would recommend changing/replacing while the tranny is off?

Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #42

Garage
Check your cv joints and half shafts, they are dirt cheap to replace as a unit with refurb units and you are going to be in there anyway. If you replace them buy new microencapsulated bolts to go with them.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
Is there anything else that anyone would recommend changing/replacing while the tranny is off?
Hmm, yes..

While there, I would replace the throw out bearing, the plastic sleeve that holds the bearing, and visually (carefully) inspect the large steel stamped arm for stress cracks..

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #44
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
... I found out that my IMS Bearing is a dual row IMS. Is this better than the single row IMS?

Dual row bearings last longer and fail less often.

Consider changing the coolant expansion tank if it is original and the AOS. Also, while you are poking around in there it may be a good idea to replace the vacuum hoses on the engine. The old ones are likely to be brittle. How old is your water pump? AOS + Coolant tank + Water pump (and 160 degree thermostat while you are at it) = about another $1,000, but its well spent if you are having the down time anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #45

It is threads like this that give these cars a bad name, and by bad name I mean things like "hairdressers cars".

Clutches were ment to be replaced, we've replaced many on cars where people were just driving them around like normal. Stuff happens.

Drive it like you stole it, don't worry about the nay sayers.
BoxsterLS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #46
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Geraintthomas, you nailed exactly how the car's current state is in, kind of mind boggling actually. By the way, I appreciate the helpful comments you've made, gave me some hope that there's still civil and helpful people amongst this community.

So I went ahead and ordered a SPEC stage 1 clutch last night. With my dual mass flywheel in good shape still, I'm going to stick with that and eliminate the potential rattle noise of a lwfw. I also purchased the Rear Main Seal and LN engineering's IMS retrofit kit(that got expensive quick) Not to mention the tool kit for $350...
I found out that my IMS Bearing is a dual row IMS. Is this better than the single row IMS?

There are tons of very helpful people here. The help you get depends a little on your attitude.

Maybe if you had introduced yourself before ragging on people here your responses would have been a little different

as far as the IMSB, don't be lazy, do a search, there are lots of threads on that subject
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
There are tons of very helpful people here. The help you get depends a little on your attitude.

Maybe if you had introduced yourself before ragging on people here your responses would have been a little different

as far as the IMSB, don't be lazy, do a search, there are lots of threads on that subject
You're definitely right on that, I did a poor job with an intro to who I am. I was so caught up with what just happened to my car, and people skills didn't even get put into the factor. I apologize for coming off as that "kid" who is reckless on the public roads.

My name is Randy. I'm 24, from Seattle, WA . My dad was a mechanic his whole life so i have a tiny bit of backyard mechanic skills. He sold me his boxster S after purchasing a 05 996 turbo S, and a few months later, I ruin the clutch.

Once again, apologies for coming off the way I did.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #48

Garage
Good luck fixing the car, no one wants to see a broken box, but that's half of why we are critiquing your driving style. Treat her as your fiancé and not your side hoe is all I'm suggesting.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #49
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
You're definitely right on that, I did a poor job with an intro to who I am. I was so caught up with what just happened to my car, and people skills didn't even get put into the factor. I apologize for coming off as that "kid" who is reckless on the public roads.

My name is Randy. I'm 24, from Seattle, WA . My dad was a mechanic his whole life so i have a tiny bit of backyard mechanic skills. He sold me his boxster S after purchasing a 05 996 turbo S, and a few months later, I ruin the clutch.

Hi Randy

One last thing.........
It ain't real without pictures
Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #50
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Good luck fixing the car, no one wants to see a broken box, but that's half of why we are critiquing your driving style. Treat her as your fiancé and not your side hoe is all I'm suggesting.
Listen to Jake, or one of his friends in a big oversized pickups might drive over your car
Old 01-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:

Nice to meet you Randy. The suggestions of additional things to do while the trans is out aren't a must, but as your dad can well tell you the key to keeping these cars on the road is preventative maintenance.

Since it was his car, he can tell you if the AOS, water pump, coolant tank have been done. Those jobs are tight spaces jobs (especially expansion tank and aos) and with all that room to work if they haven't been done now is the time to do it.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #52

New bleed nipple cover for slave cylinder that thing gets baked on there and when I bled my clutch it was hard as heck to remove.

Another easy retrofit while the trans is out is the gbox/others 2nd gear pop out prevention fix, which is very hard to do with the trans in. I have one but have never gotten around to installing as I heard from some folks that the issue seems to more common to 996 turbo folks.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
. Fix your clutch and go find that Maserati!
Those cars can go 185. We can only go 165(ish).
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Hi Randy

One last thing.........
It ain't real without pictures
All real bro, Ill take some tomorrow. I'll even show you the fairlady...
Old 01-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #55

Garage
My two beauties

and the beast...
Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #56

Garage
What year is the Nissan?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #57

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
What year is the Nissan?
It's a 96.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #58

Garage
I had a 2008 350Z before the Boxster what a great ride that was.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3230 View Post
I had a 2008 350Z before the Boxster what a great ride that was.
I agree fully, just 1 downside to that car, the rear window is tiny. I wonder how the 350z rear window compares to the boxster glass convertible top...
Old 01-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #60

Garage
You couldn't see too much from the back window on the 350Z as it was small and your sitting so low that you could hardly see anything. The Boxster is OK at least mine is as it has the backup sensors.