986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ruined my clutch racing... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60066)

Dubaday 01-08-2016 12:15 PM

Ruined my clutch racing...

HAD an oem bone stock 3.2 boxster S, until the maserati to my left rev'd til i rev'd back....and here i am. Looking to performance tune this ocean metallic blue beauty back to life.
SPEC stage 2 clutch, AASCO lwfw a good combo?
Any thoughts or opinion will be very much appreciated:cheers:

Fintro11 01-08-2016 01:00 PM

maybe you need an automatic ?

landrovered 01-08-2016 03:16 PM

Buy a Camaro, a Boxster is a lousy drag car. You are going to break a lot of stuff if you insist on drag racing.

jdraupp 01-08-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintro11 (Post 479284)
maybe you need an automatic ?

OR learn how to drive stick?

RedTele58 01-08-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubaday (Post 479281)
Any thoughts or opinion will be very much appreciated:cheers:

Yup. You're not driving a straight line car. :rolleyes: Leave that to the knuckleheads in their Mustangs and Camaros.

j.fro 01-09-2016 04:24 AM

I've had the Aasco LWFW and a sprung Spec stage 3 plus clutch in my autocross car for 5 years/40K+ miles and it works great. If you are going with the LWFW, be sure to get a sprung clutch, not the solid unit that would match the dual mass FW.
There is certainly a difference launching with the LWFW and a grabby clutch. It takes minimum 2k revs, fast feet, and nobody in front of you.
While the 986S is no wheelie-bars&parachutes drag car, it's not a turd off the line either.

Prelude Guy 01-09-2016 07:49 PM

Besides j.fro, some pretty lousy responses.

Blowing an older clutch while launching a car has nothing to do with driver skill or it being a straight-line car. He's enjoying his car. These kinds of things happen.

Smh

78F350 01-09-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy (Post 479465)
Besides j.fro, some pretty lousy responses.

Blowing an older clutch while launching a car has nothing to do with driver skill or it being a straight-line car. He's enjoying his car. These kinds of things happen.

Smh

There are strong opinions among the forum members about street racing. Threads have been locked and people have left the forum. Reading the title, " Ruined my clutch racing...", I figured that someone had a bad day at the track or at an AX event.
Nope, it was kid doing stupid stuff in his Boxster:
Quote:

...until the maserati to my left rev'd til i rev'd back....and here i am.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1452410411.jpg

If the OP had simply said that he had a bad clutch and was looking for recommendations to replace it, the responses would have been very different.

landrovered 01-10-2016 04:16 AM

Fixed it for you: "I ruined my car trying to show a BMW owner that my penis was larger than his. Do any of you know of any good penis enlargers that I might try?"

kk2002s 01-10-2016 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 479472)
Fixed it for you: "I ruined my car trying to show a BMW owner that my penis was larger than his. Do any of you know of any good penis enlargers that I might try?"

I've heard that a 2016 Mustang Shelby gt350 will gain you a few inches

Mark_T 01-10-2016 07:45 PM

One hard launch is not going to smoke a clutch. Doing it n a regular basis will, and I think that's the real story here.

CHRISP357 01-10-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landrovered (Post 479472)

Geez, I'll bet you're a lot of fun at parties old lady! Maybe he was doing it for fun?

jdraupp 01-11-2016 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 479578)
One hard launch is not going to smoke a clutch. Doing it n a regular basis will, and I think that's the real story here.

Exactly. And I'm gonna guess by the lack of replies by the original poster that we are all right. He bought a Porsche thinking he'd be the envy of every Mustang owner at stop lights. With a record of 0-34, two tickets for street racing and a burned up clutch he thought he'd come here and find out how we win our stop light drags only to find out he bought a car that isn't designed for that.

Next, his "lightly used" boxster will show up for sale in classifieds with a "might need clutch work" tag line.

landrovered 01-11-2016 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRISP357 (Post 479581)
Geez, I'll bet you're a lot of fun at parties old lady! Maybe he was doing it for fun?

Any time you want to go on a track you let me know girlfriend, but street racing is irresponsible, dangerous and stupid, so if that is no fun at parties then yeah, I'm a buzzkill.

Dubaday 01-11-2016 05:30 AM

negativity here is unreal. thanks a alot

johnsjmc 01-11-2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubaday (Post 479604)

Agreed . I, just joined the dark side after driving air cooled 911s for 40 years. A stock clutch is good for about 60,000 mi +/- . Maybe your clutch was due for failure anyway.

landrovered 01-11-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

20 something with Porsche has sad feels because forum does not elect him king after breaking his car and the law.

JayG 01-11-2016 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsjmc (Post 479617)
Agreed . I, just joined the dark side after driving air cooled 911s for 40 years. A stock clutch is good for about 60,000 mi +/- . Maybe your clutch was due for failure anyway.

sure, 60k +- 60k miles
There is not a "set" mileage for a clutch. Its wear depends on how the car is driven and kind of driving

If you are a dickhead and drag race the car, it won't last as long

A LWFW and Spec clutch is not for street driving.

This forum is far and away the best of all the Porsche forums

Mark_T 01-11-2016 07:42 AM

Quote:

You were expecting maybe an "Attaboy" for coming on to a Porsche enthusiast forum and bragging about how you thrash on your car in a way that it was never intended to be used? Or perhaps you expected a bunch of guys who race their cars responsibly on the track to be impressed with how you endanger the lives of other people that have to share the road with you? Really?

A few years from now, if you survive, you will look back and realize what a dumbass kid you used to be and understand where the people slamming you are coming from. I shake my head at the stupid stuff I did with cars when I was in my teens and I am both lucky and grateful that I survived it.

jdraupp 01-11-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Join a Honda civic forum.