Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #1

Cold air intake kit - YES or NO

Hi, I have a 2003 Boxster w/ 50K miles, in great condition, don't want to change much but I have heard that if I install a K&N Cold Air Intake kit, I would love the response and upgrade in HP....

Is this true?

Does this thing REALLY work or no?

Thank you!!!

Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

You already have a factory "cold air" system, and while it may make the car louder, it will do little to nothing to increase HP. Waste of money.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

Garage
ditto. Put one on my 996 and the sound is better, but no noticeable performance difference, in spite of the claims
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
Hi, I have a 2003 Boxster w/ 50K miles, in great condition, don't want to change much but I have heard that if I install a K&N Cold Air Intake kit, I would love the response and upgrade in HP....

Is this true?

Does this thing REALLY work or no?

Thank you!!!

DO NOT DO THIS! WHY? Oils from the filter will screw up your MAF sensor!

Do this instead. De-Snorkle the air intake and change out the stock filter with a BMC filter. The BMC will add 5 hp and De-snorkling will add the sound you are looking for.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12

Last edited by jwade; 04-21-2013 at 05:14 PM.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
The fact that the intake alone isn't a big gain is not the reason to avoid the mod. Friend, intakes are gateway mods. They are the first step down a long road of addiction. That tiny taste of forbidden power will only lead to an insatiable thirst for more. Are you willing to risk your family, your soul, and your credit score for lies supported only by the butt Dyno???
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Ditto. Not worth the trouble, time, nor expense.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Garage
My $.02, yes the stock filter assembly is cold air, but it's restrictive, that's why I run an EVO. Do your homework on your stock set-up. Once you see all the turns and twists you'll also notice that at 6,000 rpm's your engine's basically breathing through a straw. I've posted in the past that if you followed an air molecule, it would take like five 90 degree turns before it gets to the MAF. As far as oils from the filter burning out your MAF...I run K&N's and an Outerware on everything I have. Properly serviced filters are perfectly fine, those that soak their filters in oil will reap the rewards.

With my EVO, if I look into the drivers side intake grill I can see my filter. It's a straight shot and my engine breaths easy.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
It's like back surgery... less than 50% of patients report improvement after the procedure. Choose wisely.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Garage
Factory intake is a cold air intake, albeit a rather restrictive one. You can pick up some power with a less restrictive intake- however nearly all aftermarkets compromise by picking up hot air from the engine. They key to a conducive and methodical gain is sealing it away from hot air from the engine (a tricky task given the room to work with), thus not making it counter-productive.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
The fact that the intake alone isn't a big gain is not the reason to avoid the mod. Friend, intakes are gateway mods. They are the first step down a long road of addiction. That tiny taste of forbidden power will only lead to an insatiable thirst for more. Are you willing to risk your family, your soul, and your credit score for lies supported only by the butt Dyno???
Hi my name is Mark and I am a power addict. My butt dyno says it is worth it but it DOES LEAD to more $$$ mods and more FUN - surprised no one mentioned that!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #11

Stock or 987 period. Cone filter fact - once a tiny bit dirty will flow less than a stock filter.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

Cold air intake - YES or NO*****NO!

Guys this is great advise....I have decided to NOT DO ANYTHING, 5 to 7 HP and a small GROWL is not worth, the pissibility of messing up an already perfectly engineered car.

I appriciate the advise, If I want faster, I will buy a 2009/10 Boxster S - gives me an excuse to convince wifey to let me buy my 3rd Porsche!

:dance:
Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

Garage
Adding a cold air intake my vehicle netted an additional 180 hp.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #14

Yeah, but if you run it thru the A/C as an intercooler you could net +280 H.P.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #15

The stock intake you have is about as cold as it is going to get. Do you mean cold or more free-flowing? You can foil wrap the intake for reduced radiation heat transfer.

More free-flowing will put you into the world of experimentation.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #16

De snork now!

de snorkling is probably the best overall mod you can make. It takes 15 minutes and you ll swear the car has a 100 HP increase. Plus, it will sound like a PORSCHE then! There are plenty of posts about how to do it and I think one even showed a dyno graph indicating a 5 HP advantage!!!!
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #17

De-snork it fo sho!!! unless you like the "nancy" sound your intake makes right now...
even adding "Spectre" pipping from the TB to your factory airbox helps sound and airflow... Im on the side of CAI are better, but then again im looking at enlarging my TB/plenum etc etc
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #18

FYI desnorking also does not give you as smooth of a power curve as with the snorkel in. Just saying.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Yeah, but if you run it thru the A/C as an intercooler you could net +280 H.P.
I find if I have the windows cracked a bit, I can easily get another 15 to 18 hp.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

J.D, I thought you had your intake routed to under your seat for that extra methane boost that got you 500 extra hp?