Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

Top Speed Bypass pipes initial impression

My bypass pipes arrived this week for $189 shipped. I will drop them by my shop while they do the RMS, IMSB and other work this week. I plan on doing a dyno test in the future to see if there is any difference at all... My primary reason to install these is weight savings as well as removing a major heat source (secondary cat) from the vicinity of my CV boots.

This kit includes the pipes, gaskets, clamps, and other hardware needed for installation.

The quality of the materials is as good or better than I would expect for this price point. There are some marks from the manufacturing process as well as some minor pitting here and there, but for the money, I think the materials are satisfactory.

The quality of the welds appears to be adequate. While the finish could be a bit better, we are talking about less than $200 here, I am pretty happy with it.

The proof will be in how easily it bolts up to my 3.2. I will report back as things progress!

Cheers!

Ross

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

Garage
I bought a pair too. Let's see how this goes.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

I would also be interested to hear your impression and install process. I just sent Che an email and will report back how they handle everything.

I have a 03 Boxster S and here is my problem.

After I received my order on Friday, I took the box straight to an exhaust shop to get it installed.

The first exhaust shop said the angle and shape of the piping was incorrect, but I wanted a second opinion because it was a small mom and pop shop and based upon reading the forums, I knew there would be some slight modification that needed to be done.

So today, Saturday, I took it to another shop to get their opinion. Again, they said there is no way these pipes will fit. There is 2 problems with these pipes. The angle of the pipe is incorrect and also the shape of the pipe is also wrong. If you look at the stock setup on a 2003 Boxster S, the pipe from the primary cat to the exhaust should angle upwards towards the trunk, top speed's pipes are nearly flat with only a very slight angle at the flange.

The second problem is the shape is also wrong. See attached pictures. When it's lined up with the factory flange, the end of the pipe is pointing towards the end of the bumper.
Attached Images

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

more pictures...
Attached Images

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

My confidence is fading. While the pipes are reasonably constructed, it means little if there not properly designed. I was concerned from the outset given the feedback of other buyers. While I don't know the exhaust system well enough to say whether mine will fit just from looking looking at the pipes, but I will say that the angles look quite sharp compared to my mental picture of the rear pipes. Stay tuned...
Old 09-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

I fitted a set of test pipes to my 2001 S Boxster last January with no problems at all. After saying that, I had fitted Che's headers a few weeks before, again with only minor adjustments to the fixing holes (they were slightly too small). I cannot comment re fitting the pipes to the standard headers.
However, when fitting the pipes, I started off loosly bolting the flange on to the header section, but no way could I get the other end of the pipe lined up with the muffler. The secret is to push the test pipe into the muffler and THEN adjust & connect up the 3 bolt flange end, pulling up the gap slowly & evenly with the bolts.
Of course, there could still be a problem with your particular pipes (or the wrong ones ordered / sent), but I must say I am very happy with my purchase from Che.....
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
02 box s

Houston, we have a problem. I have two identical pipes as well. No way these will work. Going to post in the for sale thread.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
Houston, we have a problem. I have two identical pipes as well. No way these will work. Going to post in the for sale thread.
My pipes are not identical. They appear similar, but they are certainly different. This is not to say they will fit, but I'm going to reserve judgment until we attempt to match them up to the car. Why would you try sell them as opposed to sending them back? At that point you're just kicking the can down the road to someone else. If mine don't fit, Che will be the first to know and his handling of the situation will be detailed here. Similarly, if they do fit, I will also detail the particulars here.

Last edited by shadrach74; 09-23-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I fitted a set of test pipes to my 2001 S Boxster last January with no problems at all. After saying that, I had fitted Che's headers a few weeks before, again with only minor adjustments to the fixing holes (they were slightly too small). I cannot comment re fitting the pipes to the standard headers.
However, when fitting the pipes, I started off loosly bolting the flange on to the header section, but no way could I get the other end of the pipe lined up with the muffler. The secret is to push the test pipe into the muffler and THEN adjust & connect up the 3 bolt flange end, pulling up the gap slowly & evenly with the bolts.
Of course, there could still be a problem with your particular pipes (or the wrong ones ordered / sent), but I must say I am very happy with my purchase from Che.....
I just received a set and am planning to install it this weekend. purpose is to see if the rattle is from the secondary cat (hoping it's not the primary cat).
a question on installation. It is my understanding that the engine/transmission is one piece when assembled. and that the header, mid pipe and the muffler bolts to the engine head and to the back plate of the transmission. as such, there is no need for bellows-like pipe section to absorb the differential movement that is present in autos with the muffler hanging from the chassis.
with this design, the test pipe bends should be such that the pipe just drops in and working the three screws/bolts at the flange will only induce stress into the exhaust system and worse to the head. this I believe is not good- and should not have to be done.
Is the assumption that when the pipe gets hot, it will auto-align and adapt and such the stress during assembly will be "eliminated" and all is fine from there on?

Last edited by sb01box; 09-22-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: slight verbage alteration
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #10

shadrach...
You are correct, the two pipes are different lengths - as are the Porsche originals when you remove tham and look at them side by side.....

sb01box...
When I fitted the test pipes, the gap between the 2 flanges was quite small say 5 - 10mm (1/4 - 1/2") which pulled up easily. I guess if I had pulled and pushed the pipes out of the muffler entry by hand, I could have possibly closed the gap - as it was I was tired and just used the 3 bolts to slowly pull the flanges together.
I rechecked the bolt / head stud tenioning last month after 3,000km and there ware no signs of leaks, cracking or metal fatigue that I could see.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 09-22-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
My pipes are not identical. They appear similar, but they are certainly different. This is not to say they will fit, but I'm going to reserve judgment until we attempt to match them up to the car. Why would you try sell them as opposed to sending them back? At that point you're just kicking the can down the road to someone else. If mine don't fit, Che will be the first to know and his handling of the situation will be detailed here. Similarly, if the do fit, I will also detail the particulars here.
I meant that I would be posting in the for sale thread for che to see. Unfortunately my laptop is down right now so I cant download pics.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
shadrach...
You are correct, the two pipes are different lengths - as are the Porsche originals when you remove tham and look at them side by side.....

sb01box...
When I fitted the test pipes, the gap between the 2 flanges was quite small say 5 - 10mm (1/4 - 1/2") which pulled up easily. I guess if I had pulled and pushed the pipes out of the muffler entry by hand, I could have possibly closed the gap - as it was I was tired and just used the 3 bolts to slowly pull the flanges together.
I rechecked the bolt / head stud tenioning last month after 3,000km and there ware no signs of leaks, cracking or metal fatigue that I could see.
Steve Tinker,
my concern, after reading this and "other" thread is that the angles were off. in your case it sounds like the pipes were little short, but the header flange and the pipe flange were parallel and needed to be brought together.
the "suspension" that the muffler attaches to should allow for forward movement of the muffler to accommodate 5 to 10mm gas.
were the gap the same on both sides?
thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #13

Garage
Has anyone had a successful install with this most recent batch of pipes? I'm sitting on two driver side pipes & waiting on replacement parts in transit which will hopefully resolve this issue.
F1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
SPB racer

Garage
Couple of things here.

Firstly, I hate to say I told you so but.... I had exactly the same issues with these pipes a few weeks ago and got treated like I was a fool for even suggesting that there was something wrong (by several, but not all, people)- check back through the posts.

Second, just because a shipment from China brought in a few months ago worked fine does not mean they will on a new shipment. Having done business in China a few times I can almost guarantee that Honest Johnny doesn't deal direct with the "manufacturer". In fact there are probably several layers between him and the umpteen dozens of Chinamen who own a welder. If profit is his solE motive (as I suspect it is) then he'll be simply chasing down the cheapest source with little regard for quality or fit.

Lastly, as several people advised me - what are you complaining about it was cheap so what did you expect!

I would advise all people dealing with Che or John (or whatever his name is) to be very careful and very firm. As far as he is concerned simply not fitting is not a good enough excuse for him to give a full refund. In my case it cost 25% + shipping in both directions. Although as a couple of people suggested to me - it wasn't much money so what am I complaing about. I guess they are right. Why shouldn't he profit from supplying crap that doesn't fit - this is America, the land of opportunity.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #15

Garage
Update: I just finished installing my pipes yesterday. The driver's side went on without a problem but I noted that the passenger's side required some adjustment in order to make it fit. Overall it feels I have gained 5-7hp at a conservative stance, and exhaust note is more colorful at full throttle. I was sent out a pair of duplicate passenger sides, but got the correct set last Friday.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
02 box s

fwiw, i am willing to wait it out a bit and see where this goes. there have been many who have given positive comments on the pipes, both headers and bypass. this batch certainly seems to have problems. we will see where this goes. i agree that paying anything for something that doesn't fit as advertised is malarky. i read your thread and am not sure where it went off the rails.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
My pipes are not identical. They appear similar, but they are certainly different. This is not to say they will fit, but I'm going to reserve judgment until we attempt to match them up to the car. Why would you try sell them as opposed to sending them back? At that point you're just kicking the can down the road to someone else. If mine don't fit, Che will be the first to know and his handling of the situation will be detailed here. Similarly, if they do fit, I will also detail the particulars here.
Shadrach74,
looking at your very first photo, it looks like you have two left sides. I arranged the pipes just like it is in your photo and I can only get this. see how the top pipe's flange is resting on the side, but the other pipe is resting on a tip of the flange.

when I arrange my set with the tubes flat and with the end pointing away from each other, a side of the triangular manifold flange is almost flat to the surface. I believe once installed, a flat feature of the flange is the bottom most part of the connection.

I've been doing some additional look-see. (measured, but very subjective.)
1) since the pipes are "symmetrical about the engine, you can check for symmetry.
2) resting the bottom side of the flange on the table, and with carpenter's level on the surface of the flange, proping up the pipe end till the flange was vertical, the bottom of the pipe end was 3-3/4 and 4.0 inches above the bench
3) with the pipe resting in what will be it's installed orientation, see photo above, the measurement from the top tip of the flange to the top the middle of the pipe end was 20 inches for both.

I need to stop playing with them and start the installation
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
SPB racer

Garage
Be careful. If you start to install them they become used (acording to honest John). Used product does not get full refund.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Be careful. If you start to install them they become used (acording to honest John). Used product does not get full refund.
I understand.
that's the main reason for doing "incoming inspection"
I'm going to take one of the secondary pipe off the car and do the same measurements (if I can) and as a minimum, will do side by side comparison before getting the pipes anywhere near the car.
thanks for the warning
Tad
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #20

Ill weigh in. I bought mine shortly after Che announced they were available for the 2.7L's. I got them promptly and in great condition. My car went into the shop for 7 months for a Tiptronic replacement (seriously.. 7 months), but I installed these myself once I got it back. The install was pretty simple and did require adjustment. This was expected as I've done the Che muffler install prior to this a while back and saw all the exhaust "pieces" that needed to be aligned just right. After getting it all buttoned up, the sound is awesome, the weight savings are awesome, the look and quality of stainless is awesome, and the install was like a 3/10.

Im sorry for those that are having issues with the latest pipes being sent out. So as not to appear as if I'm taking sides here, I would just say that they were definitely worth the price and do require some minor adjustments as there's a lot of parts that have to line up just right.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote