Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhh my View Post
more pictures...
Hi ohhh my,

The photo of the secondary and the muffler does not looks to be an '03 OEM flavor (that I am aware of). As a minimum, shouldn't there be a U-tube that connects the secondary cat pipe to the muffler and is held by a double pipe clamp?
the photo of the flanges (header and the pipe) definitely shows different wear. the exhaust header and it's flange is lot more "aged"

added new info.
I'm in the process of installing the topspeed pipe. Sprayed penetrating oil and while waiting for the chemical to do it's job, tooks this photo and made some measurements.
the photo is of the secondary CAT on the left side. You can see the left rear tire and the last plastic screw holding the bumper skin as well as the U-tube.
the center of the dual clamp (this should be the end of the secondary pipe) is (on my car 01 2.7L) one inch towards the front of the car with respect to the screw and about 2.5 inches in toward the center of the car from the same screw.
also measured from the aluminum heat shield to the center of the secondary cat body and this was about 2.5 inches as well. on my car, the OEM pipe does bend significantly towards the tire and the fender.

I'm not trying to contradict or start an open argument. Hopefully, this forum is here to exchange information and doing so will be to member's overall benefit. I have gained lots of knowledge from the Forum/Members
Regards,
Tad

Attached Images

Last edited by sb01box; 09-23-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: additional notes
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
02 box s

supposedly correct pipes are on their way. i will let everyone know how it goes. it may still be a while before install though.
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #23
Vendor

For anyone received These Test Pipes in same side, Please contact us immediately we will provide exchange plus provide UPS Return shipping Label. My apologies for the Inconvenience
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001535057084
delubozparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
Update: I just finished installing my pipes yesterday. The driver's side went on without a problem but I noted that the passenger's side required some adjustment in order to make it fit. Overall it feels I have gained 5-7hp at a conservative stance, and exhaust note is more colorful at full throttle. I was sent out a pair of duplicate passenger sides, but got the correct set last Friday.

Kenny,

If possible will you please post some installed pictures on the forum ?

Thank you !

Che
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #25

Garage
Received mine quickly delivered on Saturday. Installed them by Saturday night and drove 100 miles Sunday. I see no issues with the over all fit. Bend to the factory U pipe to the muffler was off by half the tube width but nothing I couldn't just pull into place by hand. The pictures from the original poster are a full aftermarket system the factory CATs have heat shields and look nothing like what is pictured.

Nothing rubs and I'd say they follow the original path very closely.

The little adapter pipe I'm not sure about. It works but I wish it was all one pipe to the flange. I have a small leak on each side on that adapter pipe that I still need to mess with to seal up.

Overall for the price can't beat it tubing looks nice it was packed great.

For my car with 109K this helped out low end power all the way up to red line feel better. Throttle feels like it has better response. I felt my low end under 2K RPM feels better leaving from stopped. That surprised me I was expecting that I would lose power in the low end. I'm not sure if it has to do with the mileage and my old CATs?

Sound: Just enough for me very mild increase in sound I'd say it brings the exhaust sound up to even with the intake sound. I can hear the muffler now but just the slightest bit.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #26

As it turns out I did receive 2 left [driver's] side pipes. Before I had verified that this was the case, Che, having read this thread, sent me an email with instruction if there was an issue. I called and they are shipping the correct pipe to my mechanic with a return shipping label for the duplicate left pipe. I'll report back as things move forward, but so far, Topspeed is doing everything they can to make things right.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #27

Garage
Here are a couple pictures before and after install. Hard to see much but figured I'd share since there is so much back and forth on what works. To install I only removed the 3 nuts on the flange, 2 nuts sliding coupler and 2 nuts on the hanger off the muffler. Repeat the same on each side of the car. I did not remove the muffler or anything else. I did remove the wheel for easier access to the flange nuts.

Stock

Stock

Top Speed

Top Speed
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagdisco03 View Post
Received mine quickly delivered on Saturday. Installed them by Saturday night and drove 100 miles Sunday. I see no issues with the over all fit. Bend to the factory U pipe to the muffler was off by half the tube width but nothing I couldn't just pull into place by hand. The pictures from the original poster are a full aftermarket system the factory CATs have heat shields and look nothing like what is pictured.

Nothing rubs and I'd say they follow the original path very closely.

The little adapter pipe I'm not sure about. It works but I wish it was all one pipe to the flange. I have a small leak on each side on that adapter pipe that I still need to mess with to seal up.

Overall for the price can't beat it tubing looks nice it was packed great.

For my car with 109K this helped out low end power all the way up to red line feel better. Throttle feels like it has better response. I felt my low end under 2K RPM feels better leaving from stopped. That surprised me I was expecting that I would lose power in the low end. I'm not sure if it has to do with the mileage and my old CATs?

Sound: Just enough for me very mild increase in sound I'd say it brings the exhaust sound up to even with the intake sound. I can hear the muffler now but just the slightest bit.
What you're experienced was correct. The secondary cats are extremely restrictive (400 to 600 cells depending if they share the same part as a 996). Therefore, by reducing a significant amount of back pressure, along with weight, your vehicle should have definitely felt more responsive.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #29

Garage
I thought I should check my pipes before install after reading these posts and just found out I have two passenger side pipes.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
How can a company that makes after market parts not pair the components in the boxes properly?
Seems they would have a slight amount a quality control before shipping something out the door..
puzzling...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #31

Garage
Good to hear Danger I was definitely expecting the placebo effect response. And I felt this livened up the bottom, mid and throttle response significantly. I was pleasantly surprised that's for sure. I was expecting more noise and slightly less power. More noise was quieter then I expected and power was butt dyno approved
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #32

Garage
Thank god mine were right I didn't even check each side before the install. I pulled one from the box and said these look good I'm happy and started to pull the car apart. I would have found out the hard way after getting the second CAT out I unwrapped that pipe.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #33

Garage
Anyone getting exhaust leaks with these pipes?

I've heard of one exhaust leak with these at the small pipe connection. Anyone else experiencing this? I'll be installing these soon and am just curious if I should get some muffler paste to add to the joint. Thanks.
2000boxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Nettgen View Post
I thought I should check my pipes before install after reading these posts and just found out I have two passenger side pipes.
PM received, correct set replacement on the way along with FedEx return shipping Label. My apologies for our glitch on shipping dept.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
02 box s

well i received the second package yesterday, but won't get to open it until sometime this weekend or early next week. hopefully we have everything sorted out this time.

brad
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #36

Garage
Finally got my pipes installed yesterday. Initial impression is the car sounds raspier and there's a slight increase in volume especially around 4000rpms and up.

It took 3.5hrs for my shop to do the install. It was longer than expected because they initially ran into some issues last week with rusted/fused bolts and then the discovery that I was shipped two left pipes. Yesterday they completed the installation but had some minor issues with the pipes lining up perfectly. They ended up trimming the pipes to fit properly.

Despite these issues, I'm pretty happy and the price can't be beat.

Two questions though...is it normal to have a burnt smell after the cat-bypass pipe install? Does this eventually go away?
F1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GP View Post
Finally got my pipes installed yesterday. Initial impression is the car sounds raspier and there's a slight increase in volume especially around 4000rpms and up.

It took 3.5hrs for my shop to do the install. It was longer than expected because they initially ran into some issues last week with rusted/fused bolts and then the discovery that I was shipped two left pipes. Yesterday they completed the installation but had some minor issues with the pipes lining up perfectly. They ended up trimming the pipes to fit properly.

Despite these issues, I'm pretty happy and the price can't be beat.

Two questions though...is it normal to have a burnt smell after the cat-bypass pipe install? Does this eventually go away?
The smell is likely do to penetrant residue and residuals from the pipe mfg process. It should dissipate after a few heat cycles.

Glad to know it went well. Do you notice any difference in drive-ability, power. power curve...seat of the pants measurements?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
DIY extremist

my pipes were identical. call topspeed and they are sending another pair
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
The smell is likely do to penetrant residue and residuals from the pipe mfg process. It should dissipate after a few heat cycles.

Glad to know it went well. Do you notice any difference in drive-ability, power. power curve...seat of the pants measurements?
The car feels a little peppier, but it's probably due to the fact that I'm now upshifting at higher revs and driving more aggressively to enjoy the new sound.
F1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #40

Garage
Some bypass pipe fitment issues and a workaround...

Received a left and right pipes from Top-Speed with no issues. Overall quality appears to be good. However like others mine did not fit as well as I was hoping. I had to do some mods. Some of the proper fitment was hampered by the exhaust modes already done to the car before I bought it. I think it's called a Pedro exhaust mod etc... The Pedro mod has the 1" pipes welded to the U tubes and not the muffler inlet. So, they were unmovable, otherwise I might have been able to tilt the U tubes down for a better fit with the hardware received in the pipe kit.
I wound up using 1 3/4" ID x 2" OD reducers and 2" stainless flexible muffler pipe to get everything to work and to assure nothing was overstressed. I don't particularly like muffler clamps and bendable pipe for exhaust mods but check out the pics below. It's a solid fit and there are no leaks. I'm running stock manifolds with pre-cats.
I don't have the car off the rack as yet but did start it up and it sounds good.
Attached Images

2000boxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote