Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #1

Ultraguage?

Anyone here have any experience with these? It's on sale at a pretty good discount so I was considering one.

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

using this link UltraGauge Vechicle Gauge Lookup Utility

no Porsche's are listed.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

No experience with it but it looks very interesting. Unfortuantely they're sold out at the moment. Site says expecting new deliveries on 1/6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986 View Post
using this link UltraGauge Vechicle Gauge Lookup Utility

no Porsche's are listed.
I find two 2001 986's listed on that link.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

More flash than substance. Appears to be a simple OBDII scan capable device with the ability to display selected PID catalog sensor data in graphical format. Undoubtedly, it will not address or show the “protected code” areas in a Porsche DME (ABS, airbags, PSM/PASAM, service reminders, etc.), much less clear their codes. More of a toy than a diagnostic tool.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
More of a toy than a diagnostic tool
I like this guy!! Call it like he sees it (rare amongst adult males nowadays)

Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
No experience with it but it looks very interesting. Unfortuantely they're sold out at the moment. Site says expecting new deliveries on 1/6.

I find two 2001 986's listed on that link.
guess i should have checked a few more years. 2000 & 2005 showed nothing.

if it would show "real" water temps and oil temps it might make an interesting track day monitoring tool to keep an eye on your engine.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

just read through the list of things it will report. Oil temp is exluded.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #8

Yea, guys who call it straight and have the experience to put weight behind their opinions are a valued item on some forums.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #9

Thanks for the input JFP.

I was more looking at it as a code reader with additional functions since at it's sales price it isn't much more than some of the Actrons I have looked at. I was really wondering about it's accuracy on the other features and ease of use.

I understand it won't read the 'protected codes' but does any reader for your casual user do this other than the least expensive durametric?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #10

Have a look at Dgauge
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by idheaton View Post
Thanks for the input JFP.

I was more looking at it as a code reader with additional functions since at it's sales price it isn't much more than some of the Actrons I have looked at. I was really wondering about it's accuracy on the other features and ease of use.

I understand it won't read the 'protected codes' but does any reader for your casual user do this other than the least expensive durametric?
The only system that can totally access and test everything on your Porsche is the OEM PIWIS tool, which the first year’s lease cost about as much as a fully equipped two bay garage, so it is out of reach for all but the most serious independent Porsche shop. The Durametric system is the next best thing as it can access most of the car’s proprietary code areas (service rest, ABS, PSM/PASAM, airbags, etc.) and can not only read and reset codes, it can activate and test systems such as the VarioCam, and read and capture tons of data in real time such as the camshaft deviation values; something no other tool but the PIWIS can do, which makes it a real steal for less than $300, with the sole drawback that it will only work on Porsche’s. Even the very serious aftermarket diagnostic systems such as Snap-On’s Modis (one is selling on flea-bay at the moment for about $3,500 used) cannot do what the Durametric system can.

For the average “backyard” DIY addict, Actron would be the next choice; solidly made and well supported diagnostic tools at reasonable prices. For less than the cost of the Durametric package, you can get a unit that is Internet updatable (very important as OEM’s are constantly adding new sensors and codes), and even provides “the most common causes” for the codes it reads, giving someone with limited diagnostic experience some direction on what to do to fix a problem. While the Actron’s will work on any car built after 1996, it cannot see or address the proprietary codes on any OEM brand (all of them have areas such as Porsche that cannot be read or cleared without overly expensive dedicated tools such as the PIWIS). Several of the Actron models can read all of the “real time” sensor data that the Ultragauge can (what I referred to as PID catalogs earlier), so you can no only see the data, but can capture it and download it or print it out if you need to, it just won’t look as cute as the Ultragauge.

The decision is yours; but to give you some perspective, I have one Durametric Pro system and two Actron units in the shop. 60-75% of the time, the techs reach for the Actron units; the Durametric gets used when we are looking at something Porsche specific…...
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
1999 base

Garage
Before I got the Duranetric tool, I also thought it is very expensive.
After using it, I think it’s the most inexpensive tool I have in my box (in value per $)
The only mistake I did, is that I should have got it before I bought the car.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #13

When it comes to tools, sometimes the most expensive ones end up being the best long term values, and they will always be there at 2 AM when none of your buddies will answer their cell phones.........
Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #14

JFP,

Thank you for the detailed response.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #15

Can't clear abs code

After battery died and was slowly recharged (2 amp), the abs failure light and brake fluid level lights are on. The obc flashes abs failure and brake distribution failure. Speed sensors seem ok when checked with ohm meter. Durametric apparently can not reset these codes. Brakes seem to work fine but no abs. Fluid level is not low inspite of indicator light. Disconnecting battery also did not clear codes. Durametric does show 4276 low voltage to abs valve which clears but comes back. Any ideas about how to clear these codes. I thought this was something Durametric could do. (Sorry to post here meant to start new thread. )

Last edited by opus69; 08-04-2013 at 07:37 AM.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
After battery died and was slowly recharged (2 amp), the abs failure light and brake fluid level lights are on. The obc flashes abs failure and brake distribution failure. Speed sensors seem ok when checked with ohm meter. Durametric apparently can not reset these codes. Brakes seem to work fine but no abs. Fluid level is not low inspite of indicator light. Disconnecting battery also did not clear codes. Durametric does show 4276 low voltage to abs valve which clears but comes back. Any ideas about how to clear these codes. I thought this was something Durametric could do. (Sorry to post here meant to start new thread. )
You should always include the year and model when asking about codes, they change with years. And, to answer your question, yes, you need to determine what is causing the code, fix it, and then clear the code; then it won't come back. It keeps returning because the problem persist.

You also need to be aware that I'm having some difficulty finding that code, are you sure you have the Durametric set correctly (DME software number correct for year)?

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
02 box s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Have a look at Dgauge
i think that brockway has stopped making the dgauge. i looked into getting one last year and while the gauge was available, the 996 mount was not. i asked about having a mount fabbed and they said 900.00 for the gauge and one-off mount. that was too much to swallow for a gauge. now i don't even see the gauge available. maybe a group buy? it always seemed like an ideal solution. all of the info we want with modular design and a matching screen to our stock dash gauges. i hate that i didn't buy one 2-3 years ago.
brad

brockwayengineering.com

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote