Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Fault lights and buckets / non-airbag wheels

Is it possible to fit aftermarket bucket seats and / or a non-airbag steering wheel without triggering the airbag fault light in an early 986?

Here in the UK the MOT road worthiness test is changing soon. The new version will stipulate a fail for error lights indicating faults with airbags, ABS, stability control, you name it. If your car has any of these things, the fault light must not show.

In theory, you cannot just remove the bulb as they will check the bulb is working by turning the key to position one or whatever.

I'm hoping to fit buckets and possibly a different wheel. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #2

You cannot escape by removing the bulb; when they scan the computer (which they will do), it will still indicate all faults present, including any missing MIL bulbs (yes, there is actually a code for that as well).

You need to get the electronics to think that the air bags are still there by using resistors in the air bag circuits (no, I do not know the required rating, you would need to figure that out by testing the components you are removing). When the computer looks for the air bags by testing the circuits, it will think everything is OK and act accordingly.

I have no idea how you will get by the visual inspection...............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-04-2011 at 08:16 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

You can pass without an airbag as long as the light isn't on? Are you sure about that?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

JFP - I can assure you that the test does not involve interrogating the computer.

Blue2000S - yes, I'm pretty sure that would be the case. As I understand it, the rule for things like ABS and airbags is that if they are present, they must not be accompanied by an error light.

I will need to double check, but I believe that if the car was factory fitted with an airbag that has then been removed, you will fail if an a fault light shows, but not if it does not.

To quote from the AA:

"As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Air bag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light"

So it's all about the presence and correct function of the "warning" lights.

Also, to quote the VOSA who sets the test:

"Level one is a visual inspection
together with a simple check of
the malfunction indicator light –
or MIL – and is covered by the
introduction of new MOT test
items in line with the Testing
Directive.

For the moment, testers do not
have to worry about levels two and
three, which will cover the process
to retrieve the fault codes stored
in the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
of the vehicle system and the
check of ECS performance by
carrying out functional tests."

So, it's all about the lights. For now.

It's a fairly silly system. But if you think about it, it will cover the vast majority of cases.