Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: malta
Posts: 210
drilled brake discs

i have a set of drilled brake discs on my 986, but since installing them 2 years ago i already had to skim them twice. the reason being that i start getting steering judder after some heavy braking from highway speeds.
my mechanic told me that its beacuse the material of the discs is not of original quality, so now he suggested i change the front discs.
but i dont know what to get.
i think the safest will be to install a set of original brembos, but they dont do them drilled, and i really like the look of the drilled ones.
someone suggested sebro german brake discs, anyone has experience with them?
is warping an issue with all drilled discs, or is it just the inferior material that causes discs to warp.
i also have a set of ebc red stuff pads.
could it be them that are causing the discs to warp, maybe theyre too harsh?
any suggestions please?

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central CT
Posts: 1,197
Garage
3 things, if I may ask:

What year is your 986?

Depending on your answer above: if 2000 or later, is it a base model?

What size are your wheels?

My reason for asking these is because you could get yourself the front rotors and calipers from a Boxster S if you have a base model. They should just drop right in...the rears not so much if I recall what I've read correctly, but it only works if you've got 17 inch or larger wheels, I believe.

Might as well go with factory parts that you know will work and hold up to their task. You do have to watch out with hairline cracks starting to form between the drill holes on these types of rotors though. I believe even the Boxster S rotors are not safe from this eventual stress.
__________________
-O/D

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Matt
 
MileHighBoxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 284
S Brakes for the front. Drilled, factory and fine.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,666
I use Cquence drilled rotors for my '99 base 986 and have not had any problems with judder even after 20 track days and lots and lots of very hard braking (to the point where I have melted the brake wear sensors twice). The Cquence rotors are also very affordable.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,704
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
i have a set of drilled brake discs on my 986, but since installing them 2 years ago i already had to skim them twice. the reason being that i start getting steering judder after some heavy braking from highway speeds.
my mechanic told me that its beacuse the material of the discs is not of original quality, so now he suggested i change the front discs.
but i dont know what to get.
i think the safest will be to install a set of original brembos, but they dont do them drilled, and i really like the look of the drilled ones.
someone suggested sebro german brake discs, anyone has experience with them?
is warping an issue with all drilled discs, or is it just the inferior material that causes discs to warp.
i also have a set of ebc red stuff pads.
could it be them that are causing the discs to warp, maybe theyre too harsh?
any suggestions please?
I would try a set of stock OEM type pads 1st, you may like them better anyway.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Guys the base 987 and base 986 have the same size disc. I run 987 OEM base discs up front. The are drilled. Problem solved

Good luck

James D


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.129644,-118.348552
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: malta
Posts: 210
my car is a 1999 base model and it has the 19" turbo wheels on.
are the 987 base model's discs drilled?
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central CT
Posts: 1,197
Garage
According to TriGem2k they are (read the end of his post), so maybe that's an even easier bolt-on swap you can pursue.
__________________
-O/D

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Pat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I would try a set of stock OEM type pads 1st, you may like them better anyway.
Listen to this guy.
__________________
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,666
The EBC Red Stuff pads are quite an improvement over the stock pads. Much better initial bite, no heat fade, and almost zero brake dust on your wheels.

It is not likely that the EBC pads are causing the rotors to warp. I've driven my car with EBC RedStuff pads on the track until the brake sensors have melted without any rotor issues.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-23-2011 at 09:21 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Pat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The EBC Red Stuff pads are quite an improvement over the stock pads. Much better initial bite, no heat fade, and almost zero brake dust on your wheels.

It is not likely that the EBC pads are causing the rotors to warp. I've driven my car with EBC RedStuff pads on the track until the brake sensors have melted without any rotor issues.
I'm not saying they caused the rotors to warm. I'm saying there may be uneven pad deposits on the rotors.
__________________
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Registered User
 
DFW02S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'm not saying they caused the rotors to warm. I'm saying there may be uneven pad deposits on the rotors.
Uneven deposits often happens after track days.
Here's what I do when my rotors are "warped" - the most common misdiagnosis for the deposits and shuddering you describe.

Spray a fine mist over the rotors at the end of the day, a full hosing down works too.

Let the car sit at least overnight, giving the water a chance to get under the deposits and start to oxidize the surface of the rotors.

In the morning (or whenever) do your best too avoid stepping on the brakes until you get the car up to 30 mph or better and then stab the brakes hard. Repeat 2x.

The deposits will be magically scraped away and the rotors will be fine until you need to do it again.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: malta
Posts: 210
wont cold water affect the discs when thy are still hot?
Pat, are you saying that the ebc red stuff might emmit uneven brake deposits compared to stock pads?
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Pat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
wont cold water affect the discs when thy are still hot?
Pat, are you saying that the ebc red stuff might emmit uneven brake deposits compared to stock pads?
I'm saying many people misinterpret uneven pad deposits as warped rotors. It can happen with many, if not most, types of pads.
__________________
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: malta
Posts: 210
since ebs red stuff are meant to emmit less dust than some other types of pads i thought that theyll have an advantage
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern New jersey
Posts: 1,054
I'm sure he means wet the discs when they're cold, to generate a little surface rust overnight.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page