Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

HA! I told you so! (rear control arms)

Have had the annoying rear control arm rattle on the car for years now. Several years ago I asked this shop to see if they could find the source of the noise. They could not, , and everything seemed to be in order, so I lived with it.

Fast forward 3+ years. I ask them (same shop) to order new rear control arms for me, I want them replaced, I am confident that is the problem (determined by all the good info here and on renntech).

Day one in the shop they cannot find the source of the noise, that an the other items (faulty secondary air pump system) require a stay at the shop.

Day two, still baffled they removed the control arms, inspected them and determined they were fine. But replaced them with the new ones anyway… voila! Noise gone! HA!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #2

what sort of rattle was it?

I'm getting some rattles now that AREN'T coming from the cabin in my 03 box that has covered 85,000 miles.
blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

Boxster suspension rattle - YouTube

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Find a new shop.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
you need exhaust work, your car is too quiet... :dance:

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #6

^ HAhahah! That is true. This car stays stock, so much simpler to maintain that way. Though I have considered the pedro sport exhaust mod.

I have multiple shops I use when I can't do the work myself. This particular one is not always my first choice of shop, but using this place was the the best option for me at the time. AND it was a good exercise to remind them I am not a typical customer.

Tags
control arms , rear , replace