Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Carnut

Thumbs up Bypass pipes installed! Now a problem?

Mods so far:-
UD pulley from RSS
Technotorque
Bypass pipes from Fabspeed

First the good news! Awesome sound and most def better performance!!!

Sound, deeper at idle and louder/meaner in the higher revs. no drone. At the same time not annoyingly loud, IMHO just right.

Power, def more. Before the mods I always felt a flatspot between 3 to 4,000 rpm. Now gone, very nice! Engine feels "lighter" if you can imagine that.

Installation was relatively easy, car on lift and the right tools did the job.

Also, wierd enough, the 3200 vibration is gone but I feel some at approximate 3500. Go figure! Somebody posted here that the 3200 vibe was gone as well after he installed the pipes.

Now a couple of points which are not so good.

First after 24 miles of driving the check engine light came on. Why?? Do I have to reset the ECU??

Have to check the exhaust alignment, I think one the pipes touches something.

Any comments and/or feedback please?

Thanks for reading!
Later,
Andy

Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #2

BYPASS Pipes = you just bypassed your secondary catalytics and now your 02 sensors know it and are throwing the code. You can buy 02 extenders or have the ecu reflashed with a ROW flash.

I hope this helps.

Jay
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
BYPASS Pipes = you just bypassed your secondary catalytics and now your 02 sensors know it and are throwing the code.

Jay

Jay,

How do the O2 sensors/DME detect this downstream change?

Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #4

The dme detects that there gone by reading the difference from the first set of o2s to the second set. The first set was pre cat and the second set is post cat.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #5

Quote:
The dme detects that there gone by reading the difference from the first set of o2s to the second set. The first set was pre cat and the second set is post cat.

Interesting. When I installed my secondary cat delete pipes I have had no issues with CE lights. There is a O2 sensor fore and immediately aft of my primary cat. There are NO sensors around the secondary. I have passed NYS emissions with no problems for two years now and have never had a CE light come on. I have an '02 2.7 model. Keep us posted on what you find that is triggering the light.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

AndyA6... you have the bypass pipes on an '04 right? The o2 sensors are on the primary cats. Adding the bypass (secondary cat delete) pipes does not effect the operation of the o2 sensors. Go by a cheap, $50 code scanner and see what comes up. I always clear the code and ignore it the first time. If it comes back, then I will see about doing something. Actually, I have cleared a code for an “aging o2 sensor” about 5 times now. I probably should do something about it.
Todd
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #7

Ahhhhh. Didn't realize you had a newer box. There correct. It should not affect you. Nmay e time for new sensors or and a maf
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
Mods so far:-
UD pulley from RSS
Technotorque
Bypass pipes from Fabspeed

Andy,

How long has the Technotorque been installed? If it is a recent addition maybe there is a leak in the system and a clamp or coupling needs to be adjusted or tightened.

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 06-24-2011 at 05:35 AM.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Carnut

Thanks guys!

Correct, there are no sensors. Either there might be a leak between the headers and the pipes or something came loose in the intake area...... who knows.

I will scan the car asap and see what code(s) there are. The TT is in for quiet a while now.

Whilst driving this morning to work I can def feel more power. Sound is very different now, deeper and a bit louder, me likey!

Also, carefully checked the dreaded 3200 rpm vibration, guess what, gone! As stated in my earlier post I felt some vibs at 3500 but today only (flat6) smoothness, like it should be.

Reporting back asap!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
BYPASS Pipes = you just bypassed your secondary catalytics and now your 02 sensors know it and are throwing the code. You can buy 02 extenders or have the ecu reflashed with a ROW flash.

I hope this helps.

Jay

Ummm no. The pre-cat O2s are in the headers, as are the post-cat O2s. The secondary cats have no O2s behind them.

There is absolutely no reason you should throw a CEL from removing the secondary cars.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Hey cloudsurfer. Ummmm Read all the posts!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Carnut

OK, scanned the car over lunch break at Autozone.

All 4 Oxygene sensors show a code...... cleared/erased. After 2 miles check engine light back on.

Hmmm, unusual to have all 4 sensors show a code?!?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #13

It's interesting when these threads just stop. Did you find the problem? What was the fix? I'm going to change my exhaust also and agree that your exhaust change alone shouldn't cause the stated problem.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #14

I deleted the secondary cats years ago and have never had a CEL...something else is the problem.

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps the info will help someone else.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It's interesting when these threads just stop. Did you find the problem? What was the fix? I'm going to change my exhaust also and agree that your exhaust change alone shouldn't cause the stated problem.
DS,

Agree, it would be nice when people find solutions to post the results so others can benefit.

Another pet peeve I have when people say that the DME set some codes and never state what the codes are. On AndyA6's last post, codes can be set for all O2 sensors depending on the problem and DME version although only one O2 sensor could be the problem.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv View Post
DS,

Agree, it would be nice when people find solutions to post the results so others can benefit.

Another pet peeve I have when people say that the DME set some codes and never state what the codes are. On AndyA6's last post, codes can be set for all O2 sensors depending on the problem and DME version although only one O2 sensor could be the problem.

Regards,
paul...

Steve/Paul, I agree! Sorry it took me so long. First of all I finally bought a Durametric cable, an extra laptop and started scanning.

Here are the codes:-

P0036:
Porsche fault code 373 - Oxygen sensor heater behind cat. conv. bank 1
P0056:
Porsche fault code 374 - Oxygen sensor heater behind cat. conv. bank 2
P0141:
Porsche fault code 14 - Oxygen sensor heater behind cat. conv. bank 1
P0161:
Porsche fault code 4 - Oxygen sensor heater behind cat. conv. bank 2

After erasing the codes come back almost immediately.

One theory is that during the pipe install some wiring came loose? I believe that is almost impossible, I watched/helped to do the install.

I also had no chance to get under the car, I totally injured my back and could hardly wallk for the past 2 weeks....... just getting back onto my feet! That did not prevent me to install my 997 shifter, trust me, can be done sitting down

However, I just now scanned again, same codes, same CL coming back after a couple of miles.

Well, there you go!

Later,
Andy
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Have you checked your fuses?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Have you checked your fuses?
The fuses are ok. Are there any additional fuses besides the ones in the car I have to check?

TIA!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #19

i had this happen once. it was a single bad O2 sensor & it caused codes to trip for all 4......

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
Carnut

Thanks Insite!

Friday morning I'll be at the dealership, my friend there will hook the car up and do some "live" logging, we will go from there and see what is going on.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, I hate to drive around with a CEL although the engine runs nice...