Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #61

It's on and for the price couldn't be any happier :dance:

It's not deafening with the top up and has a nice growl ,comment was made about sound discomfort at 2k-3krpm I noticed it but also realized it when I was in 3 rd gear and should've been in 2nd as the rpms were below 2k and as the car came up to speed thats when I heard the sound.

I did cat back only and plan to do air intake shortly,mine is a 2.7 2003 with 49000 miles and plan on doing 60 k service @ around 53 k and while the lid is off do the intake.

I also saw a post "eBay muffler" with a sound clip and I must say that's the exhaust I bought and mine sounds much better with no distortion,might be device used to record.

Last edited by ocoeeboxster; 06-20-2011 at 09:23 AM.
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #62

Is there a break in period for these?as I drove my car throughout the day the growl got deeper
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #63

Garage
Nhp

I believe mine is NHP. I did mine hole exhaust over last year. For a little over 2K. Straight headers, 200 cell cat mid-pipes and sport muffler. It does drone at highway speed in 5th gear. I moved the sensor to right before and after the mid-pipe cat. No codes. I replaced the intake with Agency Powers cold air intake. still no codes. With Dyno Scan on My laptop in the quarter mile dyno run showed 24 HP increase after intake and exhaust. I went to FABSPEED for a ECU tune the tech there showed me their exhaust. same sound.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 09-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #64

Garage
So if the stock exhaust is restrictive, and going cat-less with the headers and mid pipes is too free flowing, could you mix the two and get a great Porsche sound with just enough back pressure? or is that just wishful thinking?

Right now I have the v1 deluboz muffler with a cat-less setup using the chineese headers and well... its rowdier than a bullrun. It sounds like a racecar but just a little too crazy for putting around town.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #65

Resonance from a Dansk sport exhaust for 986

Hi all, I've just had fitted a DANSK Rear Sport silencer with twin outlet tailpipes (Part No.: 705331051) to my 2003 986 Boxster S but I do not like the resonance inside with the top up at about 2,000 - 3,000 revs. It's far too loud and is putting me off driving the car. Is there any way I can quieten it? Thanks Tone
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #66

You could try this, though the fabrication may not be cheap:
Exhaust drone resonator fix - design and construction -
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #67

subscribed. I am looking to beef up the sound on my stock 03 S.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #68

A more comprehensive review of Fabspeed on a 01 Boxster S

I just did an install of BOTH Fabspeeds Supercups and Fabspeeds Maxflows. I analyzed them on the street, the track and the dynamometer. More info then you can dump into a single blog so I wrapped it up into a video.

After looking at all the pro and cons, I would recommend the MaxFlos'. Net gain of 24HP, 19ft-lbs and 17 fewer pounds, and the best overall sound quality.

Find how who I came to that conclusion here: https://youtu.be/MdCQg2tJFYg .

michaelpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:14 AM   #69

Loved the video and explanation. Well done test method.

Have you considered the 987 airbox and IPD (or similar)?
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
Loved the video and explanation. Well done test method.

Have you considered the 987 airbox and IPD (or similar)?
I have considered IBD. As an recovering engineer, i always look at the physics first to see if it has potential. Some of the marketing content for IPD seems appears to be a little "snake oily", so i have been having reservations. Its about $1100 for both the plenum and 74mm throttle body, and I find it hard to believe that it will really deliver 30HP and 35ft-lbs. However I have not seen any data proving the results valid (or invalid). If I ever do purchase and and install I will post the results.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-986-boxster-ipd-intake-plenum/
Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #71
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Rotofab Tune

@michael

Thank you for putting that video together, great testing methodology.

I recently purchased a 01 986 s that already had the fabspeed headers / maxflow exhaust and I think the sound is incredible. My last "fun" car was a chevy ss with an LS3. I thought I was never going to enjoy the sound another car as much as that ls3 and I was wrong, the music is just in the higher revs now.

I am going to research ipd intake, I agree it sound like a lot of power on the claim side.

Question on the fabspeed tune you have. One thing I noticed about mine is that I have less emissions monitors then I am used to seeing (was not a problem for my ny emissions test). All the monitors I have are green and there is no sign of any issues, but there are just less.
This first image is a scan of the boxster with a basic innova 3100

This one is the boxster with a foxwell scan tool

And this final one is to contrast, it is my 2019 pilot with innova

I know the pilot is much newer and might have additional monitors from 2001, but I am pretty sure there were originally more than 5. Have you noticed anything like this since you got the tune?

-Brian
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #72
01 Seal Gray 986 S

I realized my last post probably dissevered a separate thread after I put a bit more thought and detail into the question. Here is the link: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/76639-fabspeed-headers-exhaust-tune-case-missing-emissions-monitors.html
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #73

I'll add my 2 cents here. I had a Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust installed on my 2001 Boxster S. The upside is that it sounds great when hammering on from 4000 to the redline, and there seems to be more urge than before up there, but on the downside, the drone at 2000 rpm is driving me nuts and there's a noticeable dip in midrange torque. I'm wondering if it's possible to reinstall the standard muffler with the Fabspeed secondary cat delete pipes
PeterBleakney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:52 AM   #74

Hi BG305. Unfortunately I was not monitoring my emission before or after the tune. If you have the Fabspeed tune, they may have deactivated parts of the emission monitoring to prevent the MIL light activating.

Hi Peter. I think you could install the stock mufflers on the Fab speed cat headers, but it would surprise me if it improve your torque / horsepower at lower RPM. Attached are my dyno runs, comparing the stock car to maxflow to supercup. I did not test the configuration you were talking about which is the new headers with the stock muffler. Nevertheless you can see from the charts that in all runs the Fab speed results were better than stock across the entire rev band.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #75

Not a flat 6, but I have these mufflers. They seem to do alright at 2k rpms. I still need to put the car on the ground and give it a good rev to know for sure.

As for quieting them down; an insertable motorcycle baffle might be the best way to give it a bit of "quiet". Thats what I'm gonna do if my V6 is too obnoxious during driving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-4-Exhaust-Muffler-Silencer-Baffle-Insert-Motorcycle-Chopper-ATV-Db-Killer/153732248608?hash=item23cb27f420:g:~CgAAOSwJzpc0yP 3

^^^ couple of these might do it right.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:48 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBleakney View Post
I'll add my 2 cents here. I had a Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust installed on my 2001 Boxster S. The upside is that it sounds great when hammering on from 4000 to the redline, and there seems to be more urge than before up there, but on the downside, the drone at 2000 rpm is driving me nuts and there's a noticeable dip in midrange torque. I'm wondering if it's possible to reinstall the standard muffler with the Fabspeed secondary cat delete pipes
This is interesting.

While not an exact comparison, I have the Fabspeed MaxFlo on my 3.6 996 and there is zero drone.

2ata is offline   Reply With Quote