Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #21

Yes I had two of them actually over the course of 5 yrs.

The first developed a rattle, and the supplier replaced it. It sounds great, no resonance that i noticed, however it made a farting noise when the RPM come down to idle. Hard to explain until you hear it.

Anyway, it was all ok, until I put on the Cat delete pipes, and the Maxspeed headers.
After that, the sounds was still great, but the was so little backpressure that the timeing was retarted.

Went back to stock muffler, keeping the delete pipes and headers. The retard went away, and the car is much better on the power side.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #22

Is this for s model only ?
ocoeeboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #23

no. you can put it on either one.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM   #24

i just got my charlie chan chinese exhaust hopefully it will go good with my chinese wheels and some pork fried rice . i have not put it on yet. they were back ordered for awhile. the quality of the part actually looks good nice and solid. the bracket looks a little out of alignment and the mufflers are a little offset i am not sure if it is suppose to be this way . i will find out when i install it. not to long ago they were asking 800.00 for these.
Attached Images

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
i just got my charlie chan chinese exhaust hopefully it will go good with my chinese wheels and some pork fried rice . i have not put it on yet. they were back ordered for awhile. the quality of the part actually looks good nice and solid. the bracket looks a little out of alignment and the mufflers are a little offset i am not sure if it is suppose to be this way . i will find out when i install it. not to long ago they were asking 800.00 for these.
Have same muffler and will install it later this month (Sat 25th) and will let you know how the installation and sound turn out. Charlie Chang exhaust, I will have to remember that one. Also I notice that there exists on the market silencer exhaust tips that could be welded or clamped on that would cut the sound somewhat if you have the dreaded resonance issue. Stebro has them on their site so go check them out. If SWMBO has noise problems I will probably add these tips or something similar. Muffler weighs only 18 lbs compared to stock which is around 36+, I will weigh it when I replace it.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #26

Thats the one I had. The holes at the tip try to PREVENT the resonance.

Please let us all know how it sounds. I really hated the farting noise. If they have not fixed it, to replicate the fart.... from idle, go up at around 3000 rpm, and lift your foot off all at once. when the rpms hit around 1000-1100 there will be a rasberry farting noise.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #27

did it at least sound half decent when it was not farting ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #28

I happen to like the burble... don't think a normal car can make that sound.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Are you sure that you're not confusing it with this exhaust ?

Really sweet danger, glad to see you are on top of these things. I can't wait to see/read what's next??? Party ON!

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #30

The burble is nice. The muffler sounds great 99.9% of the time. The burble would happen at the instant the throttle is released. The farting happens at the moment the RPM hits idle. They may have fixed it.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #31

M2 exhaust

I just had those M2 exhaust installed yesterday on my 03 S. It cost me about 500 parts and installation. First impression, not that much louder than the stock exhaust (a little deeper at 3-4k rpm). And my stock exhaust has the "chirios" mod - holes inside the tip. By the way, they are much smaller in real life than they appear in the pictures. I'm glad I did it though because it must have shaved at least 30 pounds from the back & it looks better The stock ones weight at least 50 pounds and the M2 can't be more than 15 or so pounds.

The car does sound good. I guess for the price, it's a good look. I am planning to add an intake soon, which would probably make it much louder.
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
What does a raspberry fart sound like?

oh no, you didn't ask that now did you? You just know Danger will come up with something for sure! Egad!!!

AKL
Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #33

ok after a long search I found the fart noise in all of its glory. Listen when the rpms return to normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOt7sbzSTE&feature=related

Last edited by jhandy; 06-13-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
ok after a long search I found the fart noise in all of its glory. Listen when the roms return to normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOt7sbzSTE&feature=related

I see you are running this muffler with the secondary cats removed. I imagine if you replaced the secondaries they would act as a sound deadening device and your muffler would be a bit more quiet. I didn't find your sound offensive and as far as fart noise goes those sounds are nothing like some of the farts I have heard and , sad to say, I have heard many. Unless the sound was not unlike something bounced off a wooden bench or chair that produces basso profundo that will rattle the windows I am not offended. Party ON!

AKL
Old 06-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #35

Ok I saw the video I don't think mine makes that noise and I have OCD.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #36

That is video is not my muffler, rather a video of someone else with the same muffler that I had. Alan, You are correct in your previous statement.

With the OEM headers and OEM cats, the farting was like you heard on the video, there but not that bad. When I put on the headers and took off the secondary cats, The sound was embarrassing. The awesome sound was always followed by a "PFFFFST" sound that bugged me.

On top of that, When I sent my car to Jake for the IMS replacement, He confirmed that with the headers and cat delete pipes and the muffler, the car de-tuned and retarded the timing because of low back pressure.

He advised me to put on the OEM muffler, and leave the rest. In doing that, I noticed better fuel economy and more low end power, but a wimpy sound.

Last edited by jhandy; 06-13-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #37

Not-yet-tuned '97 2.5L with maxspeed-motorsports.com NHP full exhaust. 200cells CATs, aftermarket headers and exotic muffler and tips. Passed with new maf, o2 sensors, splugs & coils, stock air filter.

******************************** style="height: 390px; width: 640px">
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #38

Ignition timing - exhaust back pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
That is video is not my muffler, rather a video of someone else. Alan, You are correct in your previous statement.

With the OEM headers and OEM cats, the farting was like you heard on the video, there but not that bad. When I put on the headers and took off the secondary cats, The sound was embarrassing. The awesome sound was always followed by a "PFFFFST" sound that bugged me.

On top of that, When I sent my car to Jake for the IMS replacement, He confirmed that with the headers and cat delete pipes and the muffler, the car de-tuned and retarded the timing because of low back pressure.

He advised me to put on the OEM muffler, and leave the rest. In doing that, I noticed better fuel economy and more low end power, but a wimpy sound.
Do you have an idea about whether stock headers, secondary cat delete pipes, and modified (welded-on by pass pipes from the muffler entry to the exhaust tips) stock s muffller would cause too low a back pressure? I believe quite a bit of the exhaust gas is directed through the muffler by-pass at high rpm like a pse. My exhaust sounds great and growls deeply but I am not sure it has improved engine performance.

I would think those with scan tools (via obd port) would be able to check whether their timing has been retarded with a change in exhaust components and get an idea on how they are doing with a stock flash. What ignition timing value range would be considered good and what range is bad for performance?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #39

Garage
If anything is causing a loss of low end and midrange torque in Jhandy's vehicle, it's the 100 cell cats. In the past, I experimented with different cell counts. And the use of 100 cell cats resulted in a loss of back pressure; especially when they were located mid stream.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
If anything is causing a loss of low end and midrange torque in Jhandy's vehicle, it's the 100 cell cats. In the past, I experimented with different cell counts. And the use of 100 cell cats resulted in a loss of back pressure; especially when they were located mid stream.
Since I am keeping the stock header and cat configuration, I wonder if I will experience 'de-tuning' with the Charlie Chan muffler and my secondary cat delete pipes? Would make the case for adding the secondary cats again with the CC muffler to eliminate loss of backpressure and consequent 'de-tuning'?

AKL