Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

Has anybody used this supercharger?

Came across this one on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster--T3T4-Turbo-Charger-Kit_W0QQitemZ270413862502QQcmdZViewItem#ht_6613wt_ 941

aconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #2

Cheap China Crap.

Buyer beware.

Spend the extra money and go with a reputable company who has designed a system specifically for the boxster along with software for it.

Just my .02
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
(Insert techno music)
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #4

Wow. Guess you're really going to need their "front mount intercooler" and "battery relocation box" to free up engine bay space in your Boxster.

You couldn't pay me a decent sum of money to put this on any car I own.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #5

i like the "fine print" in their ad. NO instructions! but most people can get this kit installed in a weekend, despite the fact that some parts are direct bolt on and some are NOT.

"We are the parts supplier, not mechanic. We can try our best to help with generic questions, but it is best to consult a professional turbocharger installer with specific questions."

"There are no installation instructions included. The install is simple and most customers install it themselves in a weekend. If you cannot figure it out or feel uncomfortable with the installation, please have a professional assist.
Most of these parts are direct bolt-ons. Some are not. "

"The piping needs to be fitted up. Because of the bends and couplers included, it should be simple.
The T3 turbo flange needs to be welded to an adapter pipe or directly to the stock manifold.
To run this on a street car, the turbocharger down pipe will need to be connected to your existing exhaust. Expect to fabricate an adapter pipe or have an exhaust shop connect them."
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.

Last edited by 23109VC; 09-07-2009 at 07:43 AM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #6

Ok guys. Thanks for the thoughts! Won´t go with this one... But what kit is the one to have?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aconnoisseur
Ok guys. Thanks for the thoughts! Won´t go with this one... But what kit is the one to have?
It would make a great 4th of July gift !
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #8

There are people who understand the internals of the M96

who don't like your chances of holding the engine together unless the internal engine parts have been strengthened and the compression ratio lowered. That means dealing with someone who has done these successfully and who knows what works and what doesn't on the M96 engine, not someone selling a kit.

Can you do it...yes you can. But you could probably buy a newer Boxster with a bigger engine for the cost of doing a turbo correctly.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #9

Let’s see: You are going to use a supercharger on an engine with 11:1 compression ratio…………..yeah, that will be spectacular, but only very briefly……….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #10

Hysterical, really really funny.

How many suckers are there out there anyway?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hysterical, really really funny.

How many suckers are there out there anyway?
What is so funny? Asked a question and hoped to get some answers?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconnoisseur
What is so funny? Asked a question and hoped to get some answers?
And your question received the attention it deserved…………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Let’s see: You are going to use a supercharger on an engine with 11:1 compression ratio…………..yeah, that will be spectacular, but only very briefly……….

I don't know, I'm beginning to change my personal opinion on this one. It seems that our engines can take mild amounts of boost (6 psi) without too much trouble. Granted this is with proper tuning though. The eBay kit discussed here doesn't include any form of tuning (except maybe fuel pressure regulation).

Last night I was checking out some threads on superchargers on 6speedonline for the 996. There are lots of guys who've been running the VF Engineering supercharger on their 3.6L cars for 20,000 miles or more with no problems except an occasional CEL. There's even a dedicated thread to them logging their experiences and dyno results. I was pretty impressed. As the 3.2L on the Boxster S is just an underbore version of the 3.6L, with thicker cylinder walls, it should hold up to 6 psi even better.... I'm just not sure that what is currently offered for the Box is setup and tuned as well as the VF Engineering option is for the 996/997.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #14

We've been rolling this idea around lately. I'd like to see a properly executed twin turbo setup on one of these cars, however, that really means lowering the compression in the engine so that you can run some meaningful boost. I'd really like to see this done on an LN sleeved block, with uprated connecting rods so that we can be very confident it won't blow up. Can you probably get by on a 3.2, since it does have the thickest sleeve thickness? Probably, but I'm still not sure I'd want to push that. Either way, you're going to need lower compression pistons to do it right, and if the motor is apart, I'd just as soon sleeve it with LN sleeves.

Next comes the topic of where to put the intercooler. I'm sorry, but I don't buy the idea of removing the chassis bracing plate and putting the intercooler there with the core lined up vertically so that it's only relying on convection cooling as there really isn't any air being moved through the core, plus the fact that you simply can't fit a very large core there and the loss of structural integrity by removing that plate.

We've got a set of 2.7 case halves laying around that need to be sleeved (suffered sleeve failure), in which case it will become a 2.9, and we're debating having JE make up 8.5-9.0 pistons for it. If things go this way, the car will get a pair of turbos, and either air/water intercoolers or a giant air/air unit mounted where the rear trunk used to be.

We'll see what fun the future may hold
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #15

hummm

the twin turbo sounds interesting to bad it cant be doen easily while maintaining factory aesthetics, or can it be done
dirtyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I know 4 people who put superchargers on their 2.5L.....3 blew the engine. The 4th was the dude who used to post here Gary_in_BR or under some idea similar to that. He eventually ditched his supercharger for a Turbo set up.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #17

If we go for air/water intercoolers, I think maintaining factory aesthetics could certainly be done. If we go air/air, the only place to get a large enough core with enough airflow is to take over the rear trunk.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #18

I was laughing at the Ad, not the question.

Having said that, these engines have enough issues without adding to their plight, IMHO.

However, I would LOVE to have someone buy and install this just to see if I am wrong.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #19

i ran 11 psi through a 5.0 liter air/air intercooled American V8 with EFI back in the day. It was a blast and I never blew the motor, even after putting 40k on it.. and it had a 9.5:1 ratio. That being said; it was a bolt-on kit. It took almost a month to hammer all the kinks out (literally and figuratively). If you're not a pro, this is not something to embark on. You can hand your car off to a pro and pay the full price and run moderate boost.... or you can build a bigger, better motor. Or you can rebuild with lower compression and run high boost. But no matter what, it's not going to be under$ 10k on a Porsche...
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #20

Good input Patrick. I concur on the intercooler issue. I would see maybe putting a big air to air unit in the rear trunk and making a fiberglass trunk lid with scoop to channel air into it. You could work out some exit flow under the car. My Gemballa rear bumper is actually setup for this pretty nicely with a mesh opening in the middle.

Most of the companies doing this kind of thing right now use an air/water intercooler though, such as TPC with their Carrera and Cayman kits and VF Engineering with their Carrera kit. They both use an OEM GT3 front center radiator (about $500), which would create problems on the Boxster S I guess. Again though, you could always fit the radiator in the rear trunk with venting.

Gary in BR has his intercooler under the car and I just don't care for that location. It may work, but it's certainly not optimized....

The best way to go would be a Raby rebuild to low compression and then turbo charge the crap out of it. But I bet you'd be looking at a total spend of $13K or so for Raby and $7K or so for a turbo kit. Pretty pricey.

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote