Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Unhappy Tranny Shot! Need replacement advice

Please help!

I have a 98 Box w/72k miles and just found out I have a bad syncro in my 5-speed transmission. I know I need to replace the tranny, but want advice from others who have been down this road before.

1. I cannot afford one of Porsches "New" ones for nearly 7 grand!
2. The shop recommended putting a salvaged tranny in and quoted me ~ 2100 for something coming out of a salvage yard in Oklahoma with no warranty.
3. Vertex Auto has a "rebuilt" transmission for 2200 + 230 shipping. Has anyone got one of their transmissions? They offer a one year warranty, but don't cover syncros as they say they are easily damaged by bad driving...

If I am replacing the tranny, I will also replace the clutch and RMS.

Here is a list of all that I have already replaced so far:
- All new brake pads and rotors
- New spark plugs
- New rear wheel bearings
- New coolant tank
- New Oil/Vapor separator and lines
- Both Seat Belt Buckles new

I am at a crossroad... The engine seems very good and the miles are relatively low for the year of the car. If I have to sell it, I am trying to decide if I should sell it as-is, or fix it and then sell it. I need a daily driver for my wife and unfortunately this car is not working out as well as I had hoped. Does anyone have any idea of what a fair price would be if I have to sell it as-is vs after sinking another $4k into a rebuilt tranny/new clutch/RMS?
Your Thoughts?

Last edited by dgentileksu; 12-22-2008 at 12:59 PM.
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

How about getting your existing tranny rebuilt? Maybe just the 2nd gear syncro?

http://www.gboxweb.com/

Depending on your location, car condition, and the time of the year when you sell, your car is only worth 13-15k in good shape. With a shot 2nd gear syncro, may 8-10k? It's hard to say what someone would pay for it.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice! I checked them out and they appear to be the best in the biz, just not sure I can afford them...

If it's just the syncro and shift sleves, it might be doable. However, **************************************** is still way cheaper...

Anyone know if vertex auto's stuff is any good?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #4

Sadly, I don't think a 10 year old Box makes for a good DD for you wife. It is a wonderful driving car but it is not a Honda or Toyota reliability wise.

My wife would put up with zero downtime on her DD but that is just her.

Good luck.

PS-I would fix the tranny as cheaply as I could if I were going to sell it. Trying to sell it as is will be very tough I think.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #5

If I replace the tranny with a rebuilt one with transferable warranty and put in a new clutch and RMS, it should be in great shape! All the parts & labor for that will run me about six grand. If I do all of that work to it, do you have any suggestions for a quick way to sell it?

It is a wonderful car to drive and I hate to have to part with it, my wife and I adore it! However, we need a daily driver and cannot afford three cars as I am military and relocate constantly...

Any ideas on how to find my box a good home?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #6

If you want quick sale, then go to the nearest CARMAX lot and have them give you a purchase price estimate.

Check out Autotrader and Cars.com to survey the going prices for Boxsters in your area and across the country.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgentileksu
However, **************************************** is still way cheaper...

Anyone know if vertex auto's stuff is any good?
I used to have a 92 911 Turbo and a 87 944. The 944 had a complete engine overhaul in 1999 using Vertex supplied OEM parts( Piston rings, belts, rollers, water pump, oil cooler, etc...etc..), after almost 70k miles - no problems, absolutely bulletproof... I am totally satisfied with Vertex parts quality, price, and knowledgeable staff.
I am in the market for a new clutch and their Power Friction performance clutch for the Boxster is a great deal.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #8

How bad is your synchro? I have a bad 2nd gear synchro, but it gives me no problem as long as I double clutch, or allow a pause of about 2 seconds when shifting into 2nd. Since I don't like to pause, I double clutch. I know that a rebuilt will be in my future, but hopfully far off in my future. Or perhaps it will last me long enough to trade it on my next Boxster.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
How bad is your synchro? I have a bad 2nd gear synchro, but it gives me no problem as long as I double clutch, or allow a pause of about 2 seconds when shifting into 2nd. Since I don't like to pause, I double clutch. I know that a rebuilt will be in my future, but hopfully far off in my future. Or perhaps it will last me long enough to trade it on my next Boxster.
You'll never need to replace the syncro if you are good a double clutching.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #10

Red face Vertex

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
I used to have a 92 911 Turbo and a 87 944. The 944 had a complete engine overhaul in 1999 using Vertex supplied OEM parts( Piston rings, belts, rollers, water pump, oil cooler, etc...etc..), after almost 70k miles - no problems, absolutely bulletproof... I am totally satisfied with Vertex parts quality, price, and knowledgeable staff.
I am in the market for a new clutch and their Power Friction performance clutch for the Boxster is a great deal.

here are two compamies operating as Vertex the one from Florida is great the one from California is a ripoff joint!
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:06 AM   #11

How do you tell the difference between the two?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanluge
here are two compamies operating as Vertex the one from Florida is great the one from California is a ripoff joint!
There is only one **************************************** (from Miami)- they used to be sponsors in this website.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #13

I decided to go with the rebuilt tranny from Vertex. I got a new RMS and clutch kit that will go in at the same time. I hope to have the car back just after new years. I will let you know how it runs with the brand new drivetrain

At least now if I have to sell it, I can be comfortable knowing that the work was done right and the parts have a one year warranty.

Thanks for the input!

BTW, if I do let the car go in favor of something more practical for a daily driver, I was considering a Mazda Miata. I know several people on this forum have upgraded to the Box from the Mazda and was wondering if it would be a more cost-effective daily driver.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #14

Miata (1rs & 2nd gen), much less power but still fun to drive.
Much less storage space.
Generally cost less to maintain overall.
Pretty good after market and lots of great online resources (miata.net).
I still have mine and really like it.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #15

Miata, tons of fun, reliable, cheap to buy, cheap to fix. What's not to like as a DD?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote