View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
dgentileksu

Unhappy Tranny Shot! Need replacement advice

Please help!

I have a 98 Box w/72k miles and just found out I have a bad syncro in my 5-speed transmission. I know I need to replace the tranny, but want advice from others who have been down this road before.

1. I cannot afford one of Porsches "New" ones for nearly 7 grand!
2. The shop recommended putting a salvaged tranny in and quoted me ~ 2100 for something coming out of a salvage yard in Oklahoma with no warranty.
3. Vertex Auto has a "rebuilt" transmission for 2200 + 230 shipping. Has anyone got one of their transmissions? They offer a one year warranty, but don't cover syncros as they say they are easily damaged by bad driving...

If I am replacing the tranny, I will also replace the clutch and RMS.

Here is a list of all that I have already replaced so far:
- All new brake pads and rotors
- New spark plugs
- New rear wheel bearings
- New coolant tank
- New Oil/Vapor separator and lines
- Both Seat Belt Buckles new

I am at a crossroad... The engine seems very good and the miles are relatively low for the year of the car. If I have to sell it, I am trying to decide if I should sell it as-is, or fix it and then sell it. I need a daily driver for my wife and unfortunately this car is not working out as well as I had hoped. Does anyone have any idea of what a fair price would be if I have to sell it as-is vs after sinking another $4k into a rebuilt tranny/new clutch/RMS?
Your Thoughts?

Last edited by dgentileksu; 12-22-2008 at 12:59 PM.
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote