Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #1

3.4-3.6 swap to 986 S Tiptronic?

Hello, I just sold my 93 RX7 Twin Turbo. While I loved the RX7's power and handling it was too old, too complicated (turbo system), and it's maintaince level was extremely high. I'm planning to purchase something a little more friendly on the maintaince side and more luxurious.

I'm thinking about a 2002-2005 Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic (for convenience) and would like to get closer to the power the RX7 was putting out. I would like to stay naturally aspirated.

My question: Would the 3.4-3.6 swap match up with the tiptronic transmission? I've done a light search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
-C.T

Last edited by Halfbreed83; 03-21-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Halfbreed83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #2

I don't see why not, each of these engines can be paired with a Tiptronic S in the 996/7.

You may need to reprogram the Tiptronic controller, or swap it for a 996/7 unit, but other than that, it should work out fine.

I have the tiptronic and I like it quite a bit, but it is different than the Manual. This is not my asphalt ripping toy, so I like the convenience.

Aside from convenience, the maintenance is lower and there seems to be a lower incidence of IMS and RMS issues with the Tip cars, probably attributable to the lack of direct mechanical link between the flywheel and the tranny.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbreed83
Hello, I just sold my 93 RX7 Twin Turbo. While I loved the RX7's power and handling it was too old, too complicated (turbo system), and it's maintaince level was extremely high. I'm planning to purchase something a little more friendly on the maintaince side and more luxurious.

I'm thinking about a 2002-2005 Porsche Boxster S Tiptronic (for convenience) and would like to get closer to the power the RX7 was putting out. I would like to stay naturally aspirated.

My question: Would the 3.4-3.6 swap match up with the tiptronic transmission? I've done a light search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks
-C.T
I've had a couple of rx-7s and loved them. I have to say though, if you're looking for something less temperamental and something that won't need as much attention, providing more piece of mind, a modern Porsche may not be the best place to look. You'll love the car, but it's nearly as demanding as the FD with much more expensive parts (and often labor) costs.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I've had a couple of rx-7s and loved them. I have to say though, if you're looking for something less temperamental and something that won't need as much attention, providing more piece of mind, a modern Porsche may not be the best place to look. You'll love the car, but it's nearly as demanding as the FD with much more expensive parts (and often labor) costs.

Glad to see another RX7 lover on here! I was comparing this board with the an Rx7 board and it seems that people here don't have nearly as much problems with their boxsters. I figured with an N/A sports car the Porsche would be less troublesome and easier to maintain. I'm not a mechanic but i can do simple maintainance like spark plugs, fluid changes, etc.

I'll do more research Thanks!

Last edited by Halfbreed83; 03-21-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbreed83
I was comparing this board with the an Rx7 board and it seems that people here don't have nearly as much problems with their boxsters. I figured with an N/A sports car the Porsche would be less troublesome and easier to maintain.

I'll do more research Thanks!
Mods are so common on FDs, you're bound to have a bunch of people complaining about problems. Especially considering how sensitive they are to any changes in flow. Their price also makes them attractive to kids with just enough $$ to buy them but then they take short cuts on tryong to make more power. In general, the FDs will last a long time if left stock and cared for.

The aftermarket products available to Boxsters is extremely small compared to the FD. The Boxster crowd is much less active in internal mods for this reason and the drivers are generally more mature. It's hard to screw up a Boxster when the common mods are limited to exhaust and intake.

In general, if you want to keep either one in good shape, the Boxster will probably cost you more.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Mods are so common on FDs, you're bound to have a bunch of people complaining about problems. Especially considering how sensitive they are to any changes in flow. Their price also makes them attractive to kids with just enough $$ to buy them but then they take short cuts on tryong to make more power. In general, the FDs will last a long time if left stock and cared for.

The aftermarket products available to Boxsters is extremely small compared to the FD. The Boxster crowd is much less active in internal mods for this reason and the drivers are generally more mature. It's hard to screw up a Boxster when the common mods are limited to exhaust and intake.

In general, if you want to keep either one in good shape, the Boxster will probably cost you more.
I was one of those kids! However, i took my car to reputable tuner (Pettit Racing) and spent about 7g's to make sure the car was in good shape. After, I performed my routine maintance on the car (oil changes every 2000 miles, all other fluids replaced once a year, spark plugs changed every year, etc). One day, i decided to WOT the car, the boost spiked and after that it was down hill Just bad luck i guess.

Thanks for the insight, i'll keep reading and keep your advice in mind.

Looking into getting a 2002-2005 Boxster S
Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Don't get me wrong, the Boxster is a fantastic car and well worth the premium, but it's just not going to be cheap compared to the rx. Look at the price of motors compared to the 13b and you' ok see what I mean.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #8

I had an original Series 1 - '79. It was great fun, but I have to admit, I liked my 240Z much more.

The Mazda rev'd great, but felt much more the China Doll compared to the 'Z' - the 'Z' could be whipped like a draught horse so long as you didn't get it wet.

Not a fair comparison, I know, but owning them both, that's my impression.

I'm not sure I agree the Boxster will cost more in terms of constant dollars.

I've owned mine 10 yrs. come October and my maintenace costs have been <$500/yr. and that includes consumables.

Granted, it is a sunny Sunday car w/ only 25+k mi. But while I did swap the pads (when I had the calipers off for painting), and did the obligatory oil, brake fluid, plug, drive belt, cabin filter, coolant, powersteering fluid, battery changes + a set of tires through the years (coming up on #3 due to age in a month), the only actual mechanical issue I've ever had was a dirty Transmission switch - cleaned up by the dealer for $167. I also did a DIY tranny filter/gasket/fluid swap (due to a leaky pan gasket) for around $240 (incl. tools). Yes, I do all my own maintenance which helps considerably.

I'm still on the original RMS, ignition switch, Coolant reservoir, AOS, OČ sensors, plug tube 'O' rings, MAF, Seatbelt latches, Window regulators, Top and plastic window, etc. Really no issues whatever.

Yea, I understand there'll be a reckoning, and probably sooner rather than later, but if it's a 2nd car (in my case 5th) that you don't constantly beat the P*ss out of, the Boxster can be a very good car with minimal maintenance cost, at least in my experience. True, these cars had some issues, but really no more than any other true Sports car.

I have a dedicated separate Track and Auto-X car, even though my Box has done both. Even when you look at the general experiences of those here, most aren't going to the poor house with these cars. Most have had a positive experience.

Absolutely, there were those cars which came out of the gate with issues, more still which were not properly maintained in a former life by PO's and were bought used by members here. Then there are those who think they can treat them like 5.0 Mustangs (which you can't) and as I sift through these threads, lots of guys who use their cars hard have more problems.

Yea, part 'X' for a mazda costs $100 while the Porsche equivalent costs $250, but it's always been that way - Porsches were never cheap throughout their history.

Do your homework, wear out lots of shoe leather and keyboards, and you'll find a car worth owning. Don't, and you'll have lots of stories to tell.

I think that if you have a history with Sports Cars in general, the Boxster will be great. It is, IMO, a douse of cold water in the face for many who have transitioned from a Civic or such, even a mustang, to their 1st true Sports Car.

In my day, you started with an MGB, Bugeye or Spitfire. When those grenaded, they were easy and cheap to fix - times have changed.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-21-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #9

Yes, if decided to get the Boxster the car would be my weekend car. I have a beater 2000 Civic that will be my daily commuter. I'm sure the Boxster S Tiptronic will keep me happy for a few years until i can afford the 3.4-3.6 engine swap. I just wanted to make sure if i felt the need for a significant power upgrade i could go to a larger N/A engine without having to go forced induction.

Looking into getting a 2002-2005 Boxster S
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #10

It's possible, but its in no way an easy swap... nor a cheap undertaking... no matter if you a connecting the 911 engine to a tip or manual. A guy over on renntech has done a small write up on swapping a 3.4 into a tip... no 3.6 that I know of yet

1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote