Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

Unhappy Boxster Go Boom-Boom

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem with 986s...

I had my car for about a day when I was driving when I heard a loud 'clang' sound and then a 'thud'. Right around that same time I saw a piece of my car go bouncing down the road behind me. Immediatly all sorts of warning lights came on and my engine temperature was peaked at 250f. Immediatly I pulled over and called AAA and got my car towed to Porsche.

Basically, what happened is the AC air compressor locked up, stripped the bolt and flew off. This is what flew out of my car (after playing pin-ball with my engine componets, of course.) On its way out it damaged my crank-shaft pulley, severed my wiring harness for the engine temperature sensor (which is why it went to 250f), shreded my serp belt, and wedged another pulley between my frame and my engine.

Estimated cost via Porsche: $2050.

This hurts me pretty bad, as I didn't even get the car registered yet (I purchased in in SC, live in NC, ironically that is what I was on my way to do.)

So after I get this thing out of the shop, I'm out around another $700 for tax, tag, and title. Of course I did not forsee this and am very unprepaired at the moment...

Wish me luck all!

ChrisH027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
bmussatti

Was a PPI done?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

It was.

I purchased the car in SC, with no warranty (that was my bad). SC has no 3-day Right to Rescind laws---which is fine, I want to keep it, I just want it fixed. Porsche said beyond that the car looks OK.

I'm trying to come to terms with the dealer who sold it to me, he says he will help pay for it and he is sorry--but does not want to pay Porsches rates....I'd prefer Porsche to do the repair and get it done right though..

Tough times.

Last edited by ChrisH027; 03-21-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
bmussatti

OK Chris, good job doing the PPI!

Negotiate with the seller, and be firm. What is he willing to pay per hour? Can he provide the new parts? Will the P-dealer accept the parts? What does the P-dealer charge per hour? Within the answers to these questions you should be able to constuct a win-win negotiation.

Some money may still come out of your pocket, but you will have piece of mind the work was done properly.

One more thought. What about the guy that did the PPI? Can he share in the responsibility of "missing" the potentail obvious failing a/c compressor? I would ask him to refund a portion (25-50%) of your PPI fee. Worth a try.

Good luck. Brighter days are in front of you. And you will have a grin like this guy-
Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #5

QOUTE bmussatti:
OK Chris, good job doing the PPI!

Negotiate with the seller, and be firm. What is he willing to pay per hour? Can he provide the new parts? Will the P-dealer accept the parts? What does the P-dealer charge per hour? Within the answers to these questions you should be able to constuct a win-win negotiation.

Some money may still come out of your pocket, but you will have piece of mind the work was done properly.

One more thought. What about the guy that did the PPI? Can he share in the responsibility of "missing" the potentail obvious failing a/c compressor? I would ask him to refund a portion (25-50%) of your PPI fee. Worth a try.

Good luck. Brighter days are in front of you. And you will have a grin like this guy

----------------

That is excellent advice, I did just that and struck a deal with the dealer.

Legally, he could tell me to screw off and thatd be that, but thank God I found an honost man to deal with. We aren't getting it repaired at Porsche, but at a German Import center in SC. He is paying for 75% of all costs. When I get it back up here I am going to bring it to Porsche and have it checked out and get me a oil change while I am there.

I feel ecstatic!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Tell the dealer to buy you the new AC compressor and you will take car of the rest... the harness can be patched back up with some solder and heat shrink insolation.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #7

On another note...not related, but I figured I'd mention it anyway...

Everyone at the Porsche dealership has been AMAZINGLY helpful through all of this, totally the nicest and most honost service staff at a dealership I have ever dealt with. (Before I had the Porsche, I had a Dodge). I think buying my first Porsche was a great idea, to have a car I love, and a dealership I can trust. Amazing.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #8

Smile

I gotta say that if it were me, I would return the car. I have been down this road before with dealers and it is a crap shoot.

Good luck and get it in writing and repaired at Porsche. You are due that.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Good luck and get it in writing and repaired at Porsche. You are due that.

I agree with Richard on this point, get it in writting. You could simply write him an e-mail, confirming your conversation, and ask him to reply back with approval.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

Don't get your oil changed at the stealership. Get the German ******************************** or whatever the place is called to do it for you. It's an issue of price, which will probably be $125 vs. $280.

And if the $125 freaks you out, remember, you're pouring 9.25 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic in the motor plus a filter, O-ring, and crush washer for the drain plug. The parts and fluid alone are $85.

Upside: Only needs to be changed once a year or 7,500 miles (Porsche says something like 15k, but they're full of crap according to a vast majority of forum members).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH027
On another note...not related, but I figured I'd mention it anyway...

Everyone at the Porsche dealership has been AMAZINGLY helpful through all of this, totally the nicest and most honost service staff at a dealership I have ever dealt with. (Before I had the Porsche, I had a Dodge). I think buying my first Porsche was a great idea, to have a car I love, and a dealership I can trust. Amazing.
nice. maybe I should start taking my car down there...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #12

QOUTE RandallNeighbour

Don't get your oil changed at the stealership. Get the German ******************************** or whatever the place is called to do it for you. It's an issue of price, which will probably be $125 vs. $280.

And if the $125 freaks you out, remember, you're pouring 9.25 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic in the motor plus a filter, O-ring, and crush washer for the drain plug. The parts and fluid alone are $85.

Upside: Only needs to be changed once a year or 7,500 miles (Porsche says something like 15k, but they're full of crap according to a vast majority of forum members).

--------------------------------------

There are no German ********************************' around my area. I'm not too familiar with the Porshe yet, can any German-Import service center change the oil?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #13

If I were you, I'd contact someone in your local PCA region and ask them for a good indy mechanic. Most anyone who works on Porsches will be able to change your oil without thought.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Tell the dealer to buy you the new AC compressor and you will take car of the rest... the harness can be patched back up with some solder and heat shrink insolation.
The dealer has already agreed to pay 75%, that would seem to be the logical route. These are not easy cars to jump into and start repairing after one day of ownership.