Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I do have the wider tire setup for the fronts right now. I forgot the size exactly but its been covered on the forum before, so i went with the less understeer tires... the camber setting i have right now is the least amount of negative camber i can get since its lowered so i have ALOT more negative camber adjustment that i can tap into if understeer becomes an issue on the track which im sure it will, easy adjustment for me really.

Well what i'll do is go for the GT3 bar and if i hate it, ill go with M030 S for front and sell the GT3 bar.
john's right that you lose a bit of grip unless you set the camber a tad more aggressively. this is because stiffer suspension doesn't compress as much. since the suspension gains camber w/ compression, it doesn't gain as much camber with stiff suspension as with soft, so static camber must be increased. with the H&R bar, though, there is virtually no understeer on full soft and a bit of oversteer on full stiff. this w/ 225 / 265 tire setup. boxster guys that ride w/ me on track are suprised at the total absence of understeer. front camber needs to be about -1.0 to make this work on a street tire.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Yeah i understand the logic of stiffer front suspension equals less grip without the right camber settings and tires due to the stiffer springs. Makes perfect sense what your saying about how softer springs will allow the Negative camber to increase the further the spring compresses and stiffer springs means i'd generate less negative camber in turns than i normally would.

Right now Im between 1/10th and 2/10th's away from -1.0 degrees of camber. I get a hell of alot more negative camber than that if needed cause my camber bolts on my boxster are pulled completely outward to the max right now.

Right now my tire sizes are 225 / 255 setup so it looks like your rear tires are wider than mine so oversteer might be more of an issue than understeer for me... what do you think?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 01-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #23

There's basically no camber gain on a Boxster anyway - price we pay for having struts. Best solution for a track-only car is to go super stiff and add lots of camber. On any car with struts, ESPECIALLY lowered cars with a large roll couple and stock ball joint locations, it's especially true. Any body roll you get will cancel out any slight camber gain the suspension gives you.

CJ, you may have slightly wider front tires (225's I'm guessing) but unless you put some wider wheels AND tires up there you're not going to see much benefit - not enough to cancel out the stiffness of the GT3 bar.

Your car has barely more negative camber than my stock-height Boxster S maxed out (-.8 versus -.6 for my car). If I were going to run the GT3 bar at the track I would want at least a degree and a half of negative camber up front, 245-width tires on 8.5" wide wheels (minimum). On the street... I just don't think it's a great idea to run the GT3 bar by itself. But to each his own, you are correct that you can always sell it.

Last edited by John V; 01-30-2008 at 02:03 PM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
There's basically no camber gain on a Boxster anyway - price we pay for having struts. Best solution for a track-only car is to go super stiff and add lots of camber. On any car with struts, ESPECIALLY lowered cars with a large roll couple and stock ball joint locations, it's especially true. Any body roll you get will cancel out any slight camber gain the suspension gives you.

CJ, you may have slightly wider front tires (225's I'm guessing) but unless you put some wider wheels AND tires up there you're not going to see much benefit - not enough to cancel out the stiffness of the GT3 bar.

Your car has barely more negative camber than my stock-height Boxster S maxed out (-.8 versus -.6 for my car). If I were going to run the GT3 bar at the track I would want at least a degree and a half of negative camber up front, 245-width tires on 8.5" wide wheels (minimum). On the street... I just don't think it's a great idea to run the GT3 bar by itself. But to each his own, you are correct that you can always sell it.
Yes i do have the 225/45's infront.
Makes sense what you are saying in regards to camber and i understand that currently i do not have that much negative camber at -0.9 and -0.8 HOWEVER if needed it (which you've told me, which i believe) can get it cause i have ALOT of adjustment for camber to get the proper negative camber needed for a track day. Yeah I will look into other tire and wheel options that you and InSite have mentioned. How wide are the front and rear wheels on a stock 17inch boxster like the ones i have pictured in my sig?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #25

Fronts are 7" and rears are 8.5". The 7" fronts really aren't wide enough to properly support a 225 width tire.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Fronts are 7" and rears are 8.5". The 7" fronts really aren't wide enough to properly support a 225 width tire.
Ahhh ok this is good stuff... Will the rims that insite has support a 225 properly?

Edit: oh nevermind, i thought his rims were the porsche rims that DJ used to have.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #27

Don't know what wheels insite has.

If you're just driving the car on the street, I maintain that you will like the M030 bars better than the GT3 bar. I drove around with the GT3 bar and it while I noticed no detriment in ride quality, the increase in understeer was very annoying. Anything else you do to a street car to tame that is just a band-aid.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #28

Quote:
There's basically no camber gain on a Boxster anyway - price we pay for having struts.
we get very little camber gain from compression, but fortunately at least we have about 8 degrees caster, which means we get lots of camber with steering angle.

Quote:
the GT3 bar feels fairly neutral on the street for me at about -1.0 front camber. my experience on track is consistent w/ john's opinion; about -1.5 degrees up front. i don't run a 245, though. i bought carrera wheels, so my fronts are 7.5" wide w/ 225 tires. my rears are 10" wide w/ 265's.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote