Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #81

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
Intercooler. nos, methanol

PK,
I am counting DODOS (nights). I go down to FL to my condo at end of month for almost a month. Here we are going to have snow almost untill June !!!
I forgot to send you picture of fan already fixed inside trunk lid just under scoop. It is a powerfull 10 inches 1200 cfm. It will take air from outside, thru filtered scoop. Air will flow on intercooler and will evacuate by the two one way vents located on each rear side ot trunk. They look like shark Jaws. They have high capacity to evacuate and are weather tight. For intercoolers, I will put 4 CO2 foggers instead of aluminium tube. I will freeze them prior to spin the car by a push button located, as other systems switches, in ashtray. That's the messs you actually see on console picture. My only nightmare and probably you and your friends can help me. How to fix my Line Lock that permits to lock front wheels to heat rear tires. Brakes lines on porsche are not common like most of cars.
Enclose picture of fan
Good night boy
Jacques

pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #82

i dont understand why you have a hood scoop in the front when your intercoolers are in the rear.
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
i dont understand why you have a hood scoop in the front when your intercoolers are in the rear.
You are right, it looks like front hood. My Boxster has full Aerokit. Brake light and spoiler are removed. It is full lid made of composite.
Bests
Jacques
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #84

I see what you did there... put a hood emblem on the rear lid...

So the fan is for pushing air out? Where are you going to be bringing air into the trunk?
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #85
pk2

Hey Jacques,

Sounds like you got the your airflow sorted out, the only reason I asked is that I've done a fair amount of work in the HVAC industry and those guys are hyper vigilant about intake and exhaust efficiency and noise issues.

In general you want your intake opening no less than 2/3 the surface area of the heat exchanger at its tightest.

But I guess if you clobber it with `1200CFM your O.K. May be noisy but who cares on the track at ``60mph,

Sorry I'm not aware of anything to lock up the front breaks for Porsche's. Might be an interesting project for somebody to “hack” the ABS system to accomplish it.

Regards, PK

P.S. If your so inclined, I'm a designer and have done a bit of automotive work (Toyota and Lexus). If you wanted me to design a more “Boxster like” scoop that any Florida surfboard shaper cold make...I might be able to do it for a token couple of beers.

Last edited by pk2; 03-11-2008 at 10:21 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #86

You are right, I forgot to specify. The car is a kind of phantom. So I added emblem on lid. To answer your question, I made oppenings on lid (picture) and fan is bolted inside. It pumps air from outside, blow in the trunk and air evacuates by openings on each side.
I appreciate your questions. It helps me better detailing work.
Thanks very much
Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
I see what you did there... put a hood emblem on the rear lid...

So the fan is for pushing air out? Where are you going to be bringing air into the trunk?
Old 03-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #87

Hmm no updates on this thread so bump it goes...

Whats up Jacques! thanks again for the oil info. I was going to respond via PMs but figured it's time to share with the forum so why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Here are my good friends el cheapo made in china t3/t4 hybrid and intercooler before going into the car. The pix of the intercooler installed is a spare for mock up, excuse the dirtyness.

I love having 2 trunks and I wanted to keep them both so I did this.

Here's my little buddy saying hi to everyone with his ass end showing

To PK2: what up Peter

Did you get your meth injection going yet? With our already retarded timing 91 octane cars I figure both of us has got to get this going sooner or later. Are you planning on going to the Porsche event in Fontana this coming month? I'd love to see your car and compare notes.

To Gary: I really got to update but I'm going to get this thing running 100% first. Thank God stock driveability is present. Mark my words, tomorrow no drip and the first WOT run at a cool 3.6xx psi on 91

Forced Induction rocks
boostiality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #88
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostiality
Hmm no updates on this thread so bump it goes...

...To PK2: what up Peter

Did you get your meth injection going yet? With our already retarded timing 91 octane cars I figure both of us has got to get this going sooner or later. Are you planning on going to the Porsche event in Fontana this coming month? I'd love to see your car and compare notes....
Forced Induction rocks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty cool looking pics, hope it works well. I'm still working on peripherals as fast as international mail permits, but really everything is peripheral. The last step is the mere pulley.

Did wire in my EGT gauge to the two sensors this weekend, ...works like a charm.

Meth/O2:, Now heres a little laugh, I did a little quid pro quo for Aquamist ( see it at http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=333872 I'm the “industrial product designer” mentioned). so one of their engineers is building me a custom PWM (AIC like) valve controller for absolutely precise meth/h20 metering at a constant 100 PSI, fully atomized at the nozzle (slick trick). Will be coming in from the U.K,. hopefully sooner than later.

After a month and half I got my comm cable for the Perfect Power AIC from in S. Africa so now I can talk to it.. So the plan now is to data-log my current AIC for a baseline map, do a transplant and work from there.

As for timing retard, I'm brewing my own 93 with race fuel so It's O.K. for now. EGT #'s confirm.

I have heard mixed messages regarding timing retard with these things. As a skip (2) tooth timing trigger, it gives you about 12 degrees of play. However, I got the impression with my AIC's instructions, that I might have to completely remap the timing, ditching the all existing loop, not really keen on that, I kinda wish with the meth/water injection I won't have to me with the timing.

Regards, PK
Old 03-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard mixed messages regarding timing retard with these things. As a skip (2) tooth timing trigger, it gives you about 12 degrees of play. However, I got the impression with my AIC's instructions, that I might have to completely remap the timing, ditching the all existing loop, not really keen on that, I kinda wish with the meth/water injection I won't have to me with the timing.

Regards, PK
I hate saying it, but I think as long as their isn't an affordable piggy-back for the DME the best band aid for us is going to be the methanol injection. It's not like we're using uber amounts of boost here and the meth injection would certainly be like running race gas all the time. What kind of race gas are you using btw? I found a place in Ontario that's selling VP MS 109 for 64.00 for a 5 gallon drum. I want to run leaded C16 but I'm too scared of killing my o2 sensors
Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #90

Just a dumb question on programing.

Turbowerx reprogrammed my stock ECU.
I'm asking weather or not it would be beneficial to talk to him and see if he can adjust parameters as you want and program your ecu with a somewhat custom program.

Doing this would by no means be a perfect answer and it would require some knowledge to decide what you want done to the ecu, I think all of you guys doing these mods know what sort of changes you would make to the ecu.

As I said this may be a mute point because of the other mods you guys have done. But it may be wort looking into it. If you guys want I can shoot him an email and see if this is even possible.

By the way, I took a few guys with high horsepower mustangs for rides this weekend and everyone of them where impressed. I love my little Box.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
Just a dumb question on programing.

Turbowerx reprogrammed my stock ECU.
I'm asking weather or not it would be beneficial to talk to him and see if he can adjust parameters as you want and program your ecu with a somewhat custom program.

By the way, I took a few guys with high horsepower mustangs for rides this weekend and everyone of them where impressed. I love my little Box......

I really appreciate it Gary, the only thing thats holding me back is just the price of the reflash. I got quoted by iA that a custom tune by them will be $2,000 which is just out of the question when I just asked for a simple tune. Simple FI equation would be to take out a degree of timing per psi.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #92
pk2

Hey Gary,

Reprogramming an ECU seems to be the preferred method, I guess theres probably more to it than just being a cleaner install. In my case though, I'd think it would require the ECU and engine with all mods be together and in one place to reprogram.

In my mind, I can tune my piggyback AIC to react to the same inputs the ECU uses (and more) and make the same adjustments as a flashed ECU has. Mine will have the added feature of also using the same variables and controller to calculate an shoot (thanks Aquamist) the necessary cooling (h20/meth).

So I don't know, for me, given flexibility of the piggyback/AIC for A/F, timing and in my case H2O/meth. Monitors the same input, tweaks the same output and then some (both in and out). Plus you have the ability to make a quick change with a new mod ...works for me.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 03-24-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #93
pk2

Quote:
I hate saying it, but I think as long as their isn't an affordable piggy-back for the DME the best band aid for us is going to be the methanol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess affordability is a relative term but for me half the fun is getting performance for pennies on the dollar. Split Second has a pretty good little piggyback, the FTC1, & a version hardwired for contemporary Porsche 6's... Boxster included. It definitely does timing. ($525 new). Someone gave me one from a Miata, I could probably make work but...

A seemingly knowledgeable performance guy here (somewhere) steered me to the Perfect Power SMT6. He implied it would do it all...better than the split Second. The manual is a little pigeon englishee which caused me to question if I could tweak the timing, but I'm now pretty sure I can. They show up on Ebay every month or so and go for about $150 ($425 new).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It's not like we're using uber amounts of boost here and the meth injection would certainly be like running race gas all the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would think, but then theres the 11:1 comp. ratio.

Quote:
What kind of race gas are you using btw? I found a place in Ontario that's selling VP MS 109 for 64.00 for a 5 gallon drum. I want to run leaded C16 but I'm too scared of killing my o2 sensors
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I go to a 76 station and fill the tank with about 3 gallons 100 oct., the rest 91. Then fill up a 4 gallon tank in my trunks. About $8/gal.

$64 for 5 gals. VP MS 109 is pretty sweet. Course I'd burn up the savings getting out there to pick it up.

When is Fontana? It would be fun to see what you've got cooking.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 03-24-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #94

Those piggybacks sound sweet, I'm going to have to look into them when more $$ free's up. I'm curious how has your car reacted so far to using regular 91? I'm actually basing my cars response to boost from your cars experience and reading your post. I know you haven't been intercooled all this time but you are running an AIC. I'm going the other way but I plan on using the methanol as an additional means of fuel not to mention getting to run 117 octane on boost

Quite frankly though I don't think our cars need anymore fuel then what they have now for how much boost we're running. This seems to be evident by both porsche not changing any of the fuel components nor does it seem turbowerx offer any sort of upgraded injectors for their TT set up any longer.... Makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

About the Porsche Festival of Speed it's going to be at Fontana raceway April 4-6. Theres a socal porsche contingent ala http://www.pcars.us/about3371.html which will be going april 5 @ 9am. It's said that you get free parking and admission for any porsche crew thats 20+ heads or more so I'm tagging along with them. Hope you can make it.

BTW, it seems that the Best Most Reliable combination for anyone whose thinking of forced induction for their boxster's should get one that has a black exterior and beige interior.

Last edited by boostiality; 03-24-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #95
pk2

Well, I run 93 by mixing 91 with 100... 4 to 1 ratio. I haven't run it on 91. But at 93 it does fine, no detonation I can detect. The EGT gauge bares that out . At's peek, exhaust gas temps are in the middle of the “hot” safety range.

It's running now with a pretty crappy piggy back AIC, It does nothing with the timing, it just runs rich at boost, but it works fine for now.

My 2 cents worth is that you can get a used Ebay SMT6 for the price of tank of 119, But let me be th guinea pig before you invest, but I'm 95% sure every thing will fly. (Or just nabb one and if it doesn't fly, put it back on e bay, they sell easily).

That interesting about turbowerks not including larger injectors, may just mean the existing injectors are not maxed out under stock conditions. My setup has an add 7th 500cc injector. But apparently this is not ideal, The SMT6 can hijack the stock injectors and remap accordingly eliminating need for 7th injector. But I'm going 1 step at a time

Regards, PK
Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Well, I run 93 by mixing 91 with 100... 4 to 1 ratio. I haven't run it on 91. But at 93 it does fine, no detonation I can detect. The EGT gauge bares that out . At's peek, exhaust gas temps are in the middle of the “hot” safety range.

Regards, PK
Ever considered xylene or toluene? I'm looking at the conversion tables and I think the way they do it is by basic average ratio's. If thats the case, xylene is 117 or there abouts and you can mix 1 gallon of that per 8 gallons of 91 to 1 gallon of that and get an average higher then 4:1 with 100 octane.

It's odd even not under boost, the car runs SO much smoother with a decent octane gas as opposed to our 91 =/
Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #97
pk2

Quote:
Ever considered xylene or toluene? ...
It's odd even not under boost, the car runs SO much smoother with a decent octane gas as opposed to our 91 =/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ya I did some reading about toluene. I haven't even tried to find it. I assumed it was like all good things, banned by the Ca. Air Resources Board . I'd certainly give a try if it's around and it saves a few $. Suposed to be paint thinner of some sort (no?).

Read a couple of hard-core articles on it. One was a bit breathless about how great it was, still rang like good science though. But then another suggested that, in short, it hits a point of diminishing returns despite the octane. Something about the speed of the heat dissipation or something...pretty molecular.

As for shooting for 100 oct., I've run it that way, wasn't hypervigilant but, just by the seat of my pants, I didn't notice a big change. As I understand it, with a stock engine anyway, you buy yourself exactly 0 if you go over the manufacturers recommendation. Obviously forced induction changes all that but by how much I wonder.

Regards, PK
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #98

trunk almost done

Hi Pk, some new pictures for you guys, I started engine with new equipment and runs surprising smooth. But still 6 feet of snow behind door.
I also include picture of buttons of methanol and nitro or probably C02 in ashtray
Take care guys

As for shooting for 100 oct., I've run it that way, wasn't hypervigilant but, just by the seat of my pants, I didn't notice a big change. As I understand it, with a stock engine anyway, you buy yourself exactly 0 if you go over the manufacturers recommendation. Obviously forced induction changes all that but by how much I wonder.

Regards, PK[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #99
pk2

Wow, it ran ok with no hose clamps on your intercooler? Min feels like 3 cylinders if everythings not cinched tight.

What are you using as a controler for your meth?

Regardds, PK
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #100
pk2

Toulene

So, I found a source for toluene, $16 per gallon. Any body have an equation or chart showing ratios of toulen to 91 gas to figure a target oct. number?

Regards, P