Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #1

Adding engine oil, what weight?

I have a 2004 Boxster. I have read that there can be as much burnoff as 1 quart for every 1,000 miles. My Boxster has 1,600. So I want to add oil, the dipstick is just below half mark. What weight comes out of the factory as standard. I also cannot read the coolent level in the trunk. Is there an easy way to check it? Thanks!

Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Lux

Factory fill for 2004 is 0-40 Mobil 1.

How many bars are showing on the dash when you check it in the morning (cold)? I lost 2 bars at around 1K miles and it stayed that way until 2.5K when I flushed the oil.

From what I understand, losing all of the bars on the dash is equivalent to 1/2 quart? So if your dipstick shows half, your dash lights should be mostly gone?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #3

You should really check it manually, with the stick. Depending on electronics can be hazardous to the longevity of your motor.

I have read and experienced a "bar" drop after driving, which is natural. The oil goes into all of the galley's and loses what appears to be some oil when it is full.

If you are burning 1 quart every 1000 miles after it is broken in, you may have a problem.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:42 PM   #4

I have about half of the bars on level ground. Should I add when all are depleated?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #5

Please use the dipstick, a mechanic I knew trusted the bars so much he topped my car when I asked him to check the alignement work another shop had done.

He over filled my car by half a quart, when I checked the car with the dipstick I found it.

You should check your oil when cold or it has been sitting for awhile.

The electronic check is only a reminder for me.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #6
Lux

Absolutely agree that you should check the dipstick for final verification. The bars are great for a quick check every morning before first fire-up though.

Peter,
You can add oil whenever you want. I would keep a running tab of how much oil was added and at what mileage for future reference. I think the marks between low and high on the dipstick is 1 quart (not positive though). So don't go dumping in a full quart just yet. Pour in a little bit and give it 15 minutes to settle in the pan. Then re-measure with the dipstick.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #7

I would love to see Porsche trade the oil level bars [idiot light alternative] for a oil pressure bars /gauge/ or whatever which we could really use in the Boxster.

The Boxster is a real sports car, a sports car with a real race motor- detuned. It should have an oil pressure gauge.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #8

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #9

The air cooled cars are just as bad. I have yet to see a 993 or Carrera with a dash gauge that read correctly. They are all over the map. I think they put that level indicator in there to fill a slot in the gauges..

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote