986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Adding engine oil, what weight? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385)

PeterJoyce 08-29-2004 10:39 AM

Adding engine oil, what weight?

I have a 2004 Boxster. I have read that there can be as much burnoff as 1 quart for every 1,000 miles. My Boxster has 1,600. So I want to add oil, the dipstick is just below half mark. What weight comes out of the factory as standard. I also cannot read the coolent level in the trunk. Is there an easy way to check it? Thanks!

Lux 08-29-2004 12:14 PM

Factory fill for 2004 is 0-40 Mobil 1.

How many bars are showing on the dash when you check it in the morning (cold)? I lost 2 bars at around 1K miles and it stayed that way until 2.5K when I flushed the oil.

From what I understand, losing all of the bars on the dash is equivalent to 1/2 quart? So if your dipstick shows half, your dash lights should be mostly gone?

mrmickeymouse 08-29-2004 12:46 PM

You should really check it manually, with the stick. Depending on electronics can be hazardous to the longevity of your motor.

I have read and experienced a "bar" drop after driving, which is natural. The oil goes into all of the galley's and loses what appears to be some oil when it is full.

If you are burning 1 quart every 1000 miles after it is broken in, you may have a problem.

PeterJoyce 08-29-2004 01:42 PM

I have about half of the bars on level ground. Should I add when all are depleated?

mrmickeymouse 08-29-2004 02:28 PM

Please use the dipstick, a mechanic I knew trusted the bars so much he topped my car when I asked him to check the alignement work another shop had done.

He over filled my car by half a quart, when I checked the car with the dipstick I found it.

You should check your oil when cold or it has been sitting for awhile.

The electronic check is only a reminder for me.

Lux 08-29-2004 03:02 PM

Absolutely agree that you should check the dipstick for final verification. The bars are great for a quick check every morning before first fire-up though.

Peter,
You can add oil whenever you want. I would keep a running tab of how much oil was added and at what mileage for future reference. I think the marks between low and high on the dipstick is 1 quart (not positive though). So don't go dumping in a full quart just yet. Pour in a little bit and give it 15 minutes to settle in the pan. Then re-measure with the dipstick.

mrmickeymouse 08-29-2004 04:01 PM

I would love to see Porsche trade the oil level bars [idiot light alternative] for a oil pressure bars /gauge/ or whatever which we could really use in the Boxster.

The Boxster is a real sports car, a sports car with a real race motor- detuned. It should have an oil pressure gauge.

PeterJoyce 08-29-2004 04:01 PM

Thanks everyone.

Brad Roberts 08-30-2004 07:01 PM

The air cooled cars are just as bad. I have yet to see a 993 or Carrera with a dash gauge that read correctly. They are all over the map. I think they put that level indicator in there to fill a slot in the gauges..:p

B