Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Supercharged Boxster

Before I ask this question, I am going to guess that nobody on this board has done it, otherwise I would have heard about it long before now.

After the investments, the loan repayments, bills, and the IRA are all taken care of each month, I still have disposable income kicking around, gaining weight.

I've seen stuff online, I've heard rumors through the porsche world that its possible, but what I am wondering is if anyone has supercharged their Boxster.

I figure it this way...I could trade in the Boxster in a few years for a new Boxster S or perhaps a 911, but I could also save up for a bit, and when the time comes, repaint the Boxster, and send it away to get a professional Supercharger kit installed. It will easily push over 300 HP, and would solve the "this-car-needs-more-HP" problem that we all seem to agree on. Also, I'd have a pretty rare car, that would be smokingly fast, and would be my very own.

Am I crazy? Let's discuss.

:chicken:

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:19 AM   #2

Folks have supercharged the 2.7 Boxster - with mixed, but generally good results.

The S in not worth supercharging.

The 2.5 is best replaced with a non e-gas 993 or 996 engine.

Renntech, PPBB, Boxster Racing Board have all discussed real world supercharging experience in the past. Adding HP to a Boxster isn't cheap.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:31 AM   #3

TPC sells what is rumored to be a good kit for under $6K, expecting $1,200-$2000 for installation. While that is pricey, in the long run, it would give that edge that I'm looking for, and prevent me from going all out and buying one of our rear-engined sister-cars.

No worries, though, I'm not running out the door to start changing stuff JUST yet. Give me another 12-20 months.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 08-27-2004, 08:25 AM   #4

You should not supercharge a High Comp. motor.

If you wanted to do it without doing [less] damage to your motor.

The best methodology would be to drop the compression, add a better oil pump.

Then cross your fingers for reliability.

If you want longevity do would Ad Sach said, that is the reliable way.

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 08-27-2004 at 03:38 PM.
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #5

That's a good point. I've been reading most of the day, and called up a few shops, and it seems the best option would be to do the 3.4L conversion (or the 3.6, but really I don't see that being worth the extra money).

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
along these lines, what IS the best way to achieve more ponies -- bang for the buck in an S (2000 specifically)? I have read that exhaust doesn't give it -- just changes tone.

is there a list that exists of "what to do first when you want more ponies"? I know this was a lot easier in my 96 impala SS... but this is a whole different animal.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #7

My suggestion is to go to a better intake and a free flowing exhaust with some type of Cats [to stay legal]. I am not sold on the 100 Cell vis-a-vis the 200 cell [or is it 150].

Whatever, it seems your take on is it is like mine.

If you make your intake clean coming in and make it clean coming out, the back pressure dilema seems to be very wishy washy and subjective.

I hope I made sense.

Scott
Old 08-28-2004, 02:17 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
well, no scott -- you know me -- you lost me on the '100 cell' comment. thats okay though -- i think we are in the same boat....what works and what subjective?

honestly, i think we would all love more HP, but this is the fastest car i have ever owned....plus i have only had it for 7 weeks. so i am still in the "this car is PERFECT!" stage.

besides, who has money to throw at HP when we have coolant reserviors to buy.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #9

If you want considerably more hp in the S you have to do the intake, headers, GIAC chip or tweek your ecu, high flow cats(or no cats), and a good exhaust wouldn't hurt either. All those mods would put you in the 290ish hp range if you're lucky. Costs would probabbly range from 5-10K depending on where you buy.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Lux

Getting more ponies thru intakes/exhaust/headers/ECU programming can get costly. And the gains (is it something like 30RWHP?) sound good. But...

Doing an engine swap makes the most sense (to me). You'll get the important bump in torque. There's no replacement for displacement. Plus, you can still sell your engine to offset the cost of a motor transplant. You'll feel the torque a lot more.

My car's too new to think about motor transplants but how would that work in CA? Is it legal to swap in a different motor if the different motor still passes smog?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #11

I have asked the same question, and I have been told it will probably have to go to a referee.

My thought was; it will have everything a stock 996 will have, as long as I am careful with my ECU mods.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Lux

Yeah, I think the CARB board will frown on it. But I guess the real question is how will they even know.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:51 PM   #13
Watch Freak

My friends at Cargraphics USA have a power package that will dyno you at a tad under 300HP and allow you to beat 3.4L 996's. It should run you under $5,000 and keep the car N/A and reliable.

It involves headers, cats, exhaust, intake and ECU program.

Let me know if you want a referral and contact info.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #14

S upgrade is 30-40Hp for $5-$10K and you need to do the whole headers, cats, exhaust, intake and ECU package.

Otherwise just the intake and be careful not to foul your MAF.

- - - - -

How about modding yourself instead?
I passed a pair of 996 Carrera 4S's today with only 6 track days (of course they only had 3 or 4 days).

At around $135/day plus more expenses bringing it up to about $300/day in tires/travel/hotel - track time makes for a fairly cheap mod. The only real substitute for HP is learning how to 'get by' with less.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:55 AM   #15

http://www.turboperformance.com/
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #16
Forum Contributor

3.4l engine replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by Stryke
My friends at Cargraphics USA have a power package that will dyno you at a tad under 300HP and allow you to beat 3.4L 996's. It should run you under $5,000 and keep the car N/A and reliable.

It involves headers, cats, exhaust, intake and ECU program.

Let me know if you want a referral and contact info.
Hi

Can you send me the contact info with referral? I have a 2003 Boxster which I wish to add more ponies to.

Thanks in advance
sudeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #17

I agree, there's nothing like driver skill to really show off what a car can do, but this discussion is pretty informative. I also agree that the engine conversion is the best way to go.

However, Stryke, what is this I hear about a phantom 300 BHP for under 5K? Sounds too good to be true...

Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #18

I have spent many months around a 2.5 Supercharged Boxster. It was the Boxster featured in a 1998 issue of Panorama (Bruce Anderson wrote the story) I'm "friendly" with Mike Levitas who develops the systems for his company TurboPerformance. Unless some drastic changes have been made to the fueling system I say stay away... He has the 996 kit 90% nailed down (he used to bring the test cars by the shop because we did development with him.)

Also.. because of the way TPC mounts the supercharger in the Boxster config... the supercharger has a hard time keeping itself oiled. It isnt designed to be hanging at a 45 degree angle. So premature failure is just around the corner. We had 8-10k miles on our car and the bearings in the supercharger where starting to howl.

The car was strong however.. got tired of it lightly up lights in the dash however.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #19
Forum Contributor

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
I have spent many months around a 2.5 Supercharged Boxster. It was the Boxster featured in a 1998 issue of Panorama (Bruce Anderson wrote the story) I'm "friendly" with Mike Levitas who develops the systems for his company TurboPerformance. Unless some drastic changes have been made to the fueling system I say stay away... He has the 996 kit 90% nailed down (he used to bring the test cars by the shop because we did development with him.)

Also.. because of the way TPC mounts the supercharger in the Boxster config... the supercharger has a hard time keeping itself oiled. It isnt designed to be hanging at a 45 degree angle. So premature failure is just around the corner. We had 8-10k miles on our car and the bearings in the supercharger where starting to howl.

The car was strong however.. got tired of it lightly up lights in the dash however.

B
Brad

Thanks. I think 3.4l replacement is probably the best option in that case
sudeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #20

Sudeep,

You are more than welcome to stop by while I convert a 2.5 car to 3.6. I'm up the road in Redwood City from Santa Clara. I should have the engine late next week. With a start time on the car for Sept. 14th (if the engine arrives on time)

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote