Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #1

RUF Modifications.

I have a wonderful 2002 Boxster S with 30K miles.
I have never had a problem with the car and I recently bought an extended warrenty until 80K miles.

I am thirsty for more power. I wanted to know if anyone has done or knows of the RUF conversion for the Boxster S.
I was also thinking of getting a used 2004 turbo cabrio. I would like the extra power and I must have a convertable. Believe it or not, I really dont like the large backend and the feel of a 911. I have never driven a turbo, but I was not impressed with the carrera how it allways wanted to kick out the rear end.
Should I just keep my 02 unmodified and be happy with it? Is the performince really that much different. Remember I am not racing, I drive the porsche on the weekends and maybe to the office once in a while.

Please advise.
Thanks,
James

jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #2

Welcome James. Keep your Box. Looks much better as a convertible and is much more balanced than the 911. You don't really need the Turbo power. No one does. I also spend time toying with different replacement ideas. All guys do. It's fun especially during winter storage. But all thoughts were gone after I took my Box on the twisties and on the track again this spring. No way I'm giving it away for anything.
Z.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #3

Well, if you got the extended warranty, you cant do anything to it without voiding your warranty. There have been many threads dealing with power uprgrades, from mild to wild. It just depends how much you want to spend.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #4

Well it is not so much the money that I am worried about it is the reliability. The extended warranty was only 1000$ and it is correct that it would void the motor coverage.
That’s my question. Is the RUF upgrades worth the 20-30K and has anyone done this or similar. What is the reliability of the motor swap and the other small upgrades?
A used turbo convertible is only ~90,000$. Is the 60,000$ difference worth it? I have never driven a turbo so I can not say that yea there is 60,000$ worth of fun in the car.
The local Porsche dealer here does not have a turbo convertible- because they have not made one in a while- to test drive.
I just don’t want a headache and an unreliable car that may leave me stuck somewhere. That is why I will not put a turbo or a supercharger on the 02 S motor.
How about the chipping and headers for the 02 S? I have bypass pipes with a low flow muffler. There is some difference, but I dont know how far to go before I turn my lovely solid as a rock car into a work on it everyweekend pain in the rear.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #5

If you are considering spending $30k, why not look into getting a new 2007 Boxster with the 3.4 engine (295hp)?

Also, since you don't track your car I think you should question the 'need' for more power. Is there really a benefit in street driving? Isn't there something to be said in having to work through your gears in normal driving, versus rarely getting above 2nd gear (911 turbo)?

Although I love the 911 too, but for different reasons.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #6

RUF can do some amazing things. Why not see if he can transplant the 700hp go-part from his latest Cayman beast!
700hp RUF Cayman

Last edited by BoxsterBob - CA; 04-12-2007 at 10:57 AM.
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
^^^picture stored to harddrive!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #8

I think he said he needed a convertible.

I've driven the Turbo and I dig it. I'm looking for one but not a convertible. I'm not a fan of cars made into convertibles just to sell more cars. I like cars that are designed to be convertibles from the get go like the S2000, Z4 and our BoxsterS.
The Turbo is more of a GT not really a pure sports car in that its heavy, awd, and feels like a big car. A good all around car for daily living(if you don't mind driving a gas guzzler) and the GT1 engine block is much stronger for hard driving than all the other engines in the 911's, Boxsters and Caymans. Just needs a major diet.

I would not go spending lots of cash on more power for any Porsche. Just buy a more powerful Porsche. You will save more money and have less issues in the long run.

that urge to get more power is usually an indication that you aren't too familiar with the limits of your Porsche yet. If you want a bigger kick in the pants when you leave a red light consider a lighter car with equal power or get a car with a bigger engine. But the more driving instruction I've had the slower I seem to drive on the public roads and I lost all feelings that 250HP wasn't enough for me. I might get a nicer sounding exhaust at some point but that's it really. The thing with power mods is that you spend ALLOT of money with this car and after a while you get used to the power and want more.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #9

WOW! That car looks amazing. Looks like the rear of the Carrera GT and front of the Cayman GT. Porsche could take some style tips from these guys.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #10

Well you may have a point. I have never gone to the Porsche driving school. My car is fast, I don’t deny that. Unfortunately I recently had to talk my way out of a 101 in a 55 ticket- luckily I was on my way to surgery and I had a somewhat good excuse.

I just wanted lower-end power; my car seems to have trouble getting out of the hole as it were. Also I would like to upgrade the interior with a new radio system, and maybe a NAV system. But that is another thread.

The reason I would like a convertible is that driving my car is my therapy after a long day of work, it is like a motorcycle just not as much of a death trap.

Also anyone have trouble with CHI'S muffler? Mine seems to rattle a bit, the Porsche techs say it is from the inside that muffler. It sounds like nails rolling around in the muffler that comes and goes sometimes.

James
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
bmussatti

Jhandy, damn... you Doctors get all the brakes! Fast cars...get out of speeding tickets...and lots of sex with all those interns (I watch Grey's Anatomy I know what's going on)!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #12

Ditto on not needing additional power. I would love more straightline acceleration too, but when I get up in the sick twisty stuff in the mountains I'm in 2nd or 3rd and sitting in the sweet spot between 3 and 5 grand...more power won't get you a thing in that kind of driving and that's what the Box is all about, as far as I'm concerned.

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote