Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

Photobucket killed my threads!

I'm so pissed and sad right now. I've been using photobucket for almost ten years now and they've decided to quit 3rd party hosting for free. They want $400 a year for a subscription! Needless to say I'm not going to pay that and I don't think anyone else will either. I'd be hard pressed to pay a tenth of that.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Mine, too. I'd think that the traffic I bring to their ad-laden site would be payment enough, but I guess greed has outweighed common sense. No one is going to pay such a ridiculous extortion fee. If they don't backpedal, this will be their end.

Making things worse is that Pelican has changed the forum so that you can't go back and edit older posts. I would go back through my DIY threads and upload pictures to replace all that are missing, but Pelican has decided that feature should be done away with for some odd reason.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Mine, too. I'd think that the traffic I bring to their ad-laden site would be payment enough, but I guess greed has outweighed common sense. No one is going to pay such a ridiculous extortion fee. If they don't backpedal, this will be their end.

Making things worse is that Pelican has changed the forum so that you can't go back and edit older posts. I would go back through my DIY threads and upload pictures to replace all that are missing, but Pelican has decided that feature should be done away with for some odd reason.
I didn't even notice that until you said something. I wonder what was Pelican's motivation for that? I'm not sure if other people agree with me on this but what Photobucket did was equivalent to burning down a library. I'm flying into Denver in a couple of hours and I'm half tempted to visit photobucket's headquarters's there. I want to heckle the CEO and tell him what a moron he is
Old 07-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Seems as though post editing is limited to 30 days.

I'm not opposed to photobucket wanting compensation, but the amount is ridiculous. They've been great up until now. There are plenty of free photo hosting sites that pay their bills with ads and don't have half as many ads as photobucket.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the "free" third party image hosting service has this sort of thing happen. For anyone surprised by this, you must have never heard about Sony's Imagestation site doing about the exact same thing, circa 2007/2008...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageStation

Kudos for pelican for completely fixing the functionality of their own image hosting feature on this site earlier this year, which was broken for a long time before that, which unfortunately probably drove more folks here to Photobucket and other third party hosting sites. I've noticed there are a lot more photos being shared since they fixed it, also. Time to make use of it!

It does suck what happened, and I feel for you guys who were using photobucket this way. Hopefully, the images will remain accessible to you for a long enough time to grab them, if you chose to keep your only copy on photobucket. (I would make no assumptions that the files will be maintained on any free web service in perpetuity...)

Last edited by jakeru; 07-01-2017 at 12:36 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Completely bonkers decision. I'm looking for an alternative but not found one yet or maybe just need to spend a bit of time getting used to a new one.

I might have paid 50 bucks a year but 400, they can take a jump for that. I post across a few forums and like that once I did one post I could just copy all the text and image codes and paste it to another.

Crazy business decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

Much hate and a few ideas here
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-big-photobucket-hate-mergefest.1236609/
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I feel the pain and it hurts!

For a short-term solution I am using Img Safe (Img Safe). They have a free account that allows 3rd party linking.

In the longer term, I will self-host all of my photos on one of my many websites to avoid something like this happening again.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Please see my post here to Pelican Parts asking for them to re-enable the editing of old posts. If you could post a voice of support, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/67506-pelican-parts-we-need-your-help-image-issues.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

I'm trying to download a picture. Can anyone see it?

Last edited by itsnotanova; 07-10-2017 at 07:08 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm trying to download a picture. Can anyone see it?
Not working here...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #12

I stopped by PB's headquarters to visually express my opinion.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #13

Now we see it!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #14

Way to go Woody!!
91 BMW 850i
71 MGB GT
bcinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 AM   #15

You can use Dropbox for free sign uop for an account here if you like https://db.tt/eoRP3giMxG
All you need to do copy the photo to your public folder and insert from the url, change the end of the link from dl=0 to raw=1

Last edited by mavis.d; 07-23-2017 at 01:54 AM.
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #16

You can thank TrumpyAl for sharing this, but you can use google chrome and get around Photobucket's blockade. They have an app to use when using their service
Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #17

Garage
I'm not sure but my plan was fairly cheap I get a basic 2 Gig. In 6 years I have only up loaded 7% of that. As I say I don't remember the cost but it stick in my mind that it was only $19.99 a year for three years. They have a 52 Gig package for $59.99 I ended up having to call customer service to get the smallest possible account.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I'm not sure but my plan was fairly cheap I get a basic 2 Gig. In 6 years I have only up loaded 7% of that. As I say I don't remember the cost but it stick in my mind that it was only $19.99 a year for three years. They have a 52 Gig package for $59.99 I ended up having to call customer service to get the smallest possible account.
Who's plan are you referring to? Photobucket now charges $400 a year
Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #19

Garage
I've been Grandfathered, because I had been paying Photobucket for a Plus no ads account my plan was just renewed Oct 27, for $19.98 for the year. Here is the catch they will only honor this at the price I paid until December 31, 2018. All the pictures will stay posted until then and after that they will no longer be linked. I copied all my photos back to my hard drive and will look to post through another service.

I tried but I can't post a new photo.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 10-30-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #20

Garage
I just moved all my Photos to Smugmug. I'm debating how many old photos to swap. what are other going to do?