Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Site Assistance or feedback here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Image uploader problems using iOS

I'm having problems uploading images on the forum from an iOS device, like an iPhone or iPad.

After I try the "new" image uploader, no matter which image I select or how I process it before uploading, I get the following error which makes no sense:
"We're sorry, but you may only upload image files (with an extension of .gif or .jpg). Please go back and select a different file."
I get this error no matter how I process the image file before uploading it (I've tried using various apps).

I can only get the "old" image uploader to take one picture per post, and it requires the image be first manually resized, which is somewhat of a pain. But the limit of one picture makes this method very lacking.

Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing similar problems using this forum with an iOS device?

Old 12-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #2

Use photobucket and just copy and paste the image links.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Use photobucket and just copy and paste the image links.
This is what I do.
It's free and easy to use.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #4

I tried a bunch of methods on the iOS and eventually gave up in frustration. Here I am using a windows desktop, image upload worked perfectly first try. I will probably just use the windows desktop when I need to upload a picture, although it will probably limit the amount of picture uploading I do on this forum, as I often surf using an iPad.

So as a feature request, can we get picture uploading working better on iOS devices? I am sure I'm not the only user having the problem. (Lots of iPad users out there - I'm sure! I've seen some other posts where people have complained about it.) Thanks for considering!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #5

I use ipad and iPhone almost exclusively,(tower is for work), and have absolutely no issues using photobucket as mentioned above.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I know I tried at least a couple photo sharing some sites and apps - all with issues for my intended purpose. Are your you just hitting the photobucket web site via safari web browser, or are you using some photobucket app?

I did seem to get photobucket working although still very clunky to copy the image link to clipboard (precision long tap, and precision highlighting required to copy to clipboard) and the auto resizing seems a bit messed up (so will probably need to be done manually.) Seems like quite the "Meh" user experience for this use.

Also I'd prefer more privacy than photobucket seems to allow. To make my point, Mr. Will Healy I presume, here is what I would surmise your kids wore for Halloween:

Last edited by jakeru; 01-09-2016 at 07:46 AM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

I use the app and have no problems with it though might have to look at what has auto uploaded and my securitysettings. Obviously it would be easier to not have to use one of these apps but such is life. If you do find a better system I'm all ears.

Yes, Halloween a few years back. They're a bit older now...
Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

I have problems too with IOS that started recently. For almost 2 years it worked fine and now it's a problem. With as many iOS user out there tere has got to be a real fix for this issue outside of using another app.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think it has more to do with Apple than this site. Things have gone downhill since Mr. Jobs passed.
Apple has just become a huge PITA. I have more trouble with their software than I ever did with Microsoft, and that's saying a lot.

Since Photobucket is free, why not just use a dedicated account for public pictures? That's what I do. I like Photobucket because I can use it for posting photos on any site, not just this one.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

Bump. This problem is still active, and very annoying for many of us users who like to contribute to the forum via IOS devices.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You seem to really be struggling with pictures. A 3rd party host would solve that, but you claim it's too hard. Not sure that anyone can help you, then.

BTW, I post exclusively from my iPhone and do not have the issues that you say you do.

Good luck!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Particlewave - please stop trying to insult me by saying things like I am "not trying hard enough". You seem to have more of an issue with this than I do, raising the issue as off-topic replies in other thread comments:
shift knob paint?

Your suggestion of using photobucket has also already been asked and answered, but thanks for trying to help, (if that was really your motivation for posting in this thread, now repeatedly). I'm glad to hear the forum is satisfactory for you, but that doesn't mean it's working as well for everybody else.

I notice many cases of people struggling to share pictures here for whatever reason, even where having them being able to share pictures would have been really helpful, and requested multiple times. (One such recent example: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62962-couple-more-questions-rear-lowering.html ). It would be great to get the forum software working properly! Thanks
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #13

I have an iPhone and never have an issue with it. Go to the little paper clip icon when you're doing a new post, click choose file, select a pic from your photo album, click upload, then just preview the post beforehand to make sure it's all squared away. It's prbly not the traditional way to post pics on here but I've seen easy success with it after doing it a few times. Prbly takes me 30 secs to resize a pic and upload on here via iPhone. Try it out and it'll become easy to ya. Good luck and let's keep it cordial boxster owners
2000986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Jake: you asked for help. Don't get pissy when people try to help you. I was implying that maybe the problem is either your devices or user error.

As I said, I post exclusively from my iPhone and don't have the same issues that you do, so maybe...just maybe...the problem is on your end and not the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing similar problems using this forum with an iOS device?

Last edited by particlewave; 09-08-2016 at 06:22 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #15

Garage
I use Tapatalk from my iPhone and iPad. It is really straight forward uploading images to this forum or the Boxster Register. It even lets you choose between three different sizes (resolution) prior to uploading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #16

Nadams, thanks for the suggestion about tapatalk. I've used it before and stopped, but can't remember why. That signature line is pretty awful, but maybe could put up with it. The image uploading workflow you describe does sound wonderful. As I recall, they do their own image hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
As I said, I post exclusively from my iPhone and don't have the same issues that you do
It would appear that's because you are using photobucket, though - correct? (That's what you said before, at least.)

I'm not surprised if you don't have the same issues, if you haven't tried the uploading methods I've reported here as being problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000986s View Post
I have an iPhone and never have an issue with it. Go to the little paper clip icon when you're doing a new post, click choose file, select a pic from your photo album, click upload, then just preview the post beforehand to make sure it's all squared away. It's prbly not the traditional way to post pics on here but I've seen easy success with it after doing it a few times. Prbly takes me 30 secs to resize a pic and upload on here via iPhone. Try it out and it'll become easy to ya. Good luck and let's keep it cordial boxster owners
Thanks; I just tried out the "paper clip icon" on both an iPhone 5, and the iPad Pro, using the built-in safari web browser. It seems to take you to the same interface as the "attach" button does down under the "Older method of attaching files" section, which is what I've been using to attach no more than one photo per post.

In either case, (using the "attach" button or the paper clip icon), and on both iOS devices (iPhone and iPad), uploading the second photo seems to overwrite the first uploaded photo, with the name of the one uploaded file always being "image.jpg".

So, this is basically what I'm using right now, but it requires manual photo resizing, and isn't working for me to upload more than one image per post.

...Am I doing something different from you? Are you able to upload more than one using that method?

I've experimented with a few free download image resizer apps, by the way. Haven't found one yet that I'm happy with, but I also haven't paid money (only tried free ones so far).
Old 01-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #17

Thank you, forum administrators!

Image uploading, including auto-sizing and multi-image uploading, is fixed on iOS devices!! I don't know if the fix was on the iOS software update side, or on the forum software side, but whatever it was, this is huge!

First post with 4 pictures uploaded using "newer style" image uploader, with an iPad - automatically resized to perfection, and worked perfectly. I couldn't be much happier with the new forum usage experience this is going to enable for me, and will be sure to start sharing many more pictures, now that it's not such a huge hassle to do so!
Took 20 years off my windshield!!

THANKS, FORUM!!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #18

Garage
Anybody else having this problem.....

In the past I’ve been able to upload pictures to the forum off my iPad by accessing my photo album and selecting the pictures to upload. Yesterday I tried uploading some pics with no success and received the following msg.:
"We're sorry, but you may only upload image files (with an extension of .gif or .jpg). Please go back and select a different file.

I am confident it’s not an Apple issue because I can still upload pictures at the PCA Boxster Registry forum.

Any assistance you could provide will be greatly appreciated.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post
In the past I’ve been able to upload pictures to the forum off my iPad by accessing my photo album and selecting the pictures to upload. Yesterday I tried uploading some pics with no success and received the following msg.:
"We're sorry, but you may only upload image files (with an extension of .gif or .jpg). Please go back and select a different file.

I am confident it’s not an Apple issue because I can still upload pictures at the PCA Boxster Registry forum.

Any assistance you could provide will be greatly appreciated.
I’m also having this problem with my iPad and iPhone with this site only. Pic uploads work perfectly on my other forum sites (except for the R1100s forum also hosted by Pelican).

I’ve tried everything (resizing, IOS settings, etc.). The problems started for me when Apple went to their new image storage format (HEIC). No problem when I upload via Tapatalk but I don’t like the Tapatalk forum interface.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:25 AM   #20
MarkT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
I’m also having this problem with my iPad and iPhone with this site only. Pic uploads work perfectly on my other forum sites (except for the R1100s forum also hosted by Pelican).

I’ve tried everything (resizing, IOS settings, etc.). The problems started for me when Apple went to their new image storage format (HEIC). No problem when I upload via Tapatalk but I don’t like the Tapatalk forum interface.
Is this fixed I also can’t upload from my iPad?
Thanks

Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote