Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
After Driving a Boxer, another car is like...

The difference between wearing running shoes and muddy boots. Took my 03 Mustang GT convert out of mothballs getting ready to sell it. Large, Slow and heavy, yet ponderous with body stiffness reminiscent of riding on the spine of a drunken cat. Scary. And to think I enjoyed driving that car. What is your experience with driving other cars?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #2

My son and I took a test drive in a 2013 Scion FRS this weekend. I think it must have been a ragged out example with a "tuner" exhaust but I was pretty disappointed, I really expected to like it better. The clutch felt too light, it seriously lacked power compared to a Boxster, and it did not "wow" me with the handling. Note that it was a short drive and I didn't get to really "work" it.

The stock seats were *very* nice and supportive though. A guy that co-drove my Boxster at a past autocross just got a 2015 BRZ and I am going to try and get a ride with him in a few weeks. I expect to be more impressed then.

But I still am probably not getting one anytime soon
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #3

Garage
I got to drive the families new extra car, a Toyota Sienna...

I have not driven many other sports cars but find them to just have a less grown up feel.

Other sports cars I've driven feel like normal cars with power and things to make it seem sporty. The boxster feels like a mix of a super car and 550 made to seem civil.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

BIGjake111.....

..."The boxster feels like a mix of a super car and 550 made to seem civil."

You NAILED it. THE best description I have ever heard. That's it!!!!

Bravo!!!

10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Rookie

Garage
Occasionally drive the wife's 2011 Subaru WRX, for a "rally car" design it leaves me a little cold. Body roll that leaves you guessing about the next corner, the tires leave the ground easier than you might think. You sit up high and youre surrounded by glass, I feel like I want to keep the tinted windows up just for some damn privacy. The audio just isnt there, and Im not talking about the radio, and theres a nice drone at speed (stock exhaust). It has a heavy clutch thats likely comparable to a Boxster S, my base clutch is smooth and light. While the car has an aggressive look, in the hot metallic blue it definitely turns heads, but ultimately it feels like Im driving an economy car that knows somebody who works at a aftermarket performance shop. The Box, on the other hand, feels like youre climbing into the cockpit of a jet fighter. The design of the fun seat hugs you, and the throttle rewards you if not with blinding speed but with a audible bliss directly behind your left ear. The view out the side mirrors overlooking the rear tire humps gives you the impression that theres some serious meat on the back axle and that the ground is not far from where your butt is currently planted. You are very sure of what the next corner will feel like and how the car will react, even if your skills taking that corner will likely be far less than ideal, its ok, you know the Box will forgive you. So you find yourself seeking out long, winding roads devoid of speed limits and traffic to experience the car in its purest form. It inspires you to drive, if nothing else just for the wind in your hair and the noise in your ears.

Last edited by TypeA; 07-18-2015 at 01:38 PM.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

Garage
When the Boxster S was introduced I had just started my job as a new car test driver. I drove most of the new cars available & the main thing I remember is, after driving a Porsche, be aware the next vehicles brakes will seem inadequate by comparison. Quit that job 2.5 years later due to a management change, so I had to dig my 1967 Firebird 400 with drum brakes out of storage & learn to drive it again in LA traffic. I missed driving the Porsche's so sold my Firebird & bought my Box S on E-bay. Fast Forward to the 1st of this month, Bought a 2015 Lexus GS F-Sport off E-bay for $20K off MSRP! It had been wrecked with 60 miles on ODO & repaired with salvage/rebuilt title. Drove up to Sacramento to check it over & drive back. It has a 12.3" wide screen "media center" with mouse mounted on console, electric power steering, huge 2-piece front brake rotors, 8-speed auto trans, 19" wheels, 4-wheel steering, HUD, I can't remember all the gadgets.
Handles very nice, especially turning radius, but you can't feel anything, particularly in "ECO" mode that slows throttle opening & gear shifts. The worst is that big screen, so distracting, finally learned how to turn it off. It reads text messages aloud. Wife loves it though.
Recently departed automotive journalist & race driver of note, Denise Mcluggage wrote a article in AutoWeek entitled "Drive what you're in". It was about all the different press cars she drove & being mindful of what you are driving at the moment.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

I go back and forth between the Boxster ('97, being sloooooowly converted to a specBoxster) and my 2014 Challenger SRT8 (470HP/470TQ) ... both are completely different driving experiences, but both completely enjoyable in their own ways.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #8

I've been driving a new to me Mini Cooper S for a couple weeks and haven't driven the Boxster in that time. The Mini is a fun car to drive but after driving the Boxster today at first I was surprised at how different it felt. It feels like its made out of a solid piece of granite with all the controls at first feeling heavy. While neither the Boxster or the Mini are considered fast by today's standard the Boxster by comparison feels fast. I remember when the power that both offer would have once been considered over the top for their category. Now you need twice that to be considered powerful. Anyways, I love driving the Boxster and nothing compares.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
When the Boxster S was introduced I had just started my job as a new car test driver. I drove most of the new cars available & the main thing I remember is, after driving a Porsche, be aware the next vehicles brakes will seem inadequate by comparison. Quit that job 2.5 years later due to a management change, so I had to dig my 1967 Firebird 400 with drum brakes out of storage & learn to drive it again in LA traffic. I missed driving the Porsche's so sold my Firebird & bought my Box S on E-bay. Fast Forward to the 1st of this month, Bought a 2015 Lexus GS F-Sport off E-bay for $20K off MSRP! It had been wrecked with 60 miles on ODO & repaired with salvage/rebuilt title. Drove up to Sacramento to check it over & drive back. It has a 12.3" wide screen "media center" with mouse mounted on console, electric power steering, huge 2-piece front brake rotors, 8-speed auto trans, 19" wheels, 4-wheel steering, HUD, I can't remember all the gadgets.
Handles very nice, especially turning radius, but you can't feel anything, particularly in "ECO" mode that slows throttle opening & gear shifts. The worst is that big screen, so distracting, finally learned how to turn it off. It reads text messages aloud. Wife loves it though.
Recently departed automotive journalist & race driver of note, Denise Mcluggage wrote a article in AutoWeek entitled "Drive what you're in". It was about all the different press cars she drove & being mindful of what you are driving at the moment.

Just drove my Boxster for the 1st time since I bought the new car 4 weeks ago. This has been the longest gap since I rebuilt the engine 5 years ago. Takes about 4 blocks to reaffirm it is the ultimate driving machine!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
P
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just drove my Boxster for the 1st time since I bought the new car 4 weeks ago. This has been the longest gap since I rebuilt the engine 5 years ago. Takes about 4 blocks to reaffirm it is the ultimate driving machine!
Uh, I think you may be on the wrong forum and you made a mistake

"There is NO Substitute"
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-28-2015 at 11:33 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #11

Garage
The features of the boxster that I instantly miss whenever driving something else are the seating position and the steering.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #12

Garage
Drove a half hour or so this afternoon to buy some fresh fish from (naturally) the fish guy. Mix of 2 lane twisty semi suburban roads and 4 lane 45mph business/residential highway. Followed a GTI for about 5 minutes or so on the 2 laner, and finally when we both turned onto the 4 lane, blew by him, running it up to 6000 RPM or so in 1st and 2nd. Love the sound of that exhaust between 4500 RPM and redline: it just screams! The GTI, by the way, looked and acted like an absolute pig.

When I first bought my S, I described it to a friend as a "big go cart" that sticks like crazy and loves it when I stomp on the go pedal. Still feel the same way. It's so planted and well mannered, yet it howls like a banshee when you set it free. There IS no substitute.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Drove a half hour or so this afternoon to buy some fresh fish from (naturally) the fish guy. Mix of 2 lane twisty semi suburban roads and 4 lane 45mph business/residential highway. Followed a GTI for about 5 minutes or so on the 2 laner, and finally when we both turned onto the 4 lane, blew by him, running it up to 6000 RPM or so in 1st and 2nd. Love the sound of that exhaust between 4500 RPM and redline: it just screams! The GTI, by the way, looked and acted like an absolute pig.

When I first bought my S, I described it to a friend as a "big go cart" that sticks like crazy and loves it when I stomp on the go pedal. Still feel the same way. It's so planted and well mannered, yet it howls like a banshee when you set it free. There IS no substitute.
I currently own 2002 Boxster and a 2006 Lotus Elise, I love my Boxster but after driving my Lotus Elise the Boxster actually feels like the overweight pig.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
I go back and forth between the Boxster ('97, being sloooooowly converted to a specBoxster) and my 2014 Challenger SRT8 (470HP/470TQ) ... both are completely different driving experiences, but both completely enjoyable in their own ways.
Interesting, the Challengers are fun cars. Different animals….I have to confess that when I saw the new Hellcat Challenger with 707 hp, I was like "Whoa!"…...

I drive a '14 Escape Titanium as my main DD, and it's a decent vehicle. Handles well for a small SUV, runs well, has some pickup……no complaints.

However, it does NOT handle like the Boxster. It simply doesn't drive as well. But, it was never designed to. It's the grocery getter, DD, shuffle my daughter and her friends around in car.

NOW, my neighbor just bought an '06 blue Corvette, and let me drive it. I have to confess, I miss that raw horsepower. I was interested in the handling, and thought for sure the Boxster would completely blow it out of the water with handling. I wouldn't say that.

While I think the Boxster does handle a little better, it's not as big a difference as I thought, and I was really blown away with how that Vette drove. I've driven older Vette models. C2's, C3's, and C4's…and always walked away a little disappointed with how they handled…..

Not this C6. I think GM, while not having caught Porsche, is making some big inroads in that manner. I do think the interior on Boxster, despite being a '98, was nicer than the interior on that '06 Vette.

It's gotten me thinking about picking up a used C6 Vette in VY to sit in the garage next to the Boxster…..different cars….satisfying different urges. Why not?
spinedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
So I just bought a 2015 Ford F150 3.5 liter dual turbo with a 3.55 E lock axle. Wow - this behemoth may be faster in a straight line than the box. Look out for discontinuities in the road however, it easily becomes unsettled and skips along the road. Amazing straight line performance from any speed.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
Beginner

Garage
And it hauls 4x8 sheets of material which is what I bought it for.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
Oh yeah, and trailers up to 12000 pounds. and gets better gas mileage than the box.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #18

Garage
You have to haul a Porsche behind something. (If it isn't street legal) I think that other then a bonkers cayanne diesel, a ford truck is the best way to go.

I wish they still made the Lincoln trucks and that trucks in general didn't cost as much as used Audi r8s these days.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
So I just bought a 2015 Ford F150 3.5 liter dual turbo with a 3.55 E lock axle. Wow - this behemoth may be faster in a straight line than the box. Look out for discontinuities in the road however, it easily becomes unsettled and skips along the road. Amazing straight line performance from any speed.
As I was waiting for the patient to be stabilized enough for transport last night I remembered this discussion. Straight line acceleration is great, but the rapid decel on the other end can suck. 19 years old. ...not sure if they could get him put all back together at the hospital.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #20

........having sex with an ex-girlfriend, convenient but not as fun.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote