Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #21

I sure wouldn't unleash a can of bear spray in the house!!!!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #22

Some good information here.

Police Officers are well trained and have a 15-25 percent hit probability in street encounters when they fire their guns. It is one thing to shoot a paper target in a sterile environment. It is another to have an armed suspect firing at you and returning fire. Practice and mental preparation is so important.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Great advice all!

My father gave me my first .22 rifle when I was 12 yrs old (I know, heresy today, but pretty common back in those days) and have owned many, many firearms over the many years and fired over 20,000 rounds.

The single reason that I use my 9mm Glock for home protection is that I can keep it in a quick access gun storage container that can be kept just about anywhere in the house whereas storing a shot gun (because of the size) can can limit the storage locations.

Several years ago, a very mentally ill person (deranged and dangerous) tried to break into my house thru the locked french doors that lead onto our rear deck while we were at home. I got the Glock out in about 10 sec's and stood guard in the family room waiting to see if he would gain entrance while my wife locked the kids in our bedroom and got on the phone to 911.

We waited an eternity of 10 mins before the police arrived with the guy screaming and hammering on the doors while my wife pled with the dispatcher to tell the cops to hurry! Ultimately, the police arrived before he gained access but it still required 4 cops and 20 mins to subdue him and get him into the police car.

We live in a beautiful suburb in LA where there is almost no crime to speak of - don't think that it can't happen just because of where you live.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-19-2015 at 08:10 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Great advice all!

My father gave me my first .22 rifle when I was 12 yrs old (I know, heresy today, but pretty common back in those days) and have owned many, many firearms over the many years and fired over 20,000 rounds.

The single reason that I use my 9mm Glock for home protection is that I can keep it in a quick access gun storage container that can be kept just about anywhere in the house whereas storing a shot gun (because of the size) can can limit the storage locations.

Several years ago, a very mentally ill person (deranged and dangerous) tried to break into my house thru the locked french doors that lead onto our rear deck while we were at home. I got the Glock out in about 10 sec's and stood guard in the family room waiting to see if he would gain entrance while my wife locked the kids in our bedroom and got on the phone to 911.

We waited an eternity of 10 mins before the police arrived with the guy screaming and hammering on the doors while my wife pled with the dispatcher to tell the cops to hurry! Ultimately, the police arrived before he gained access but it still required 4 cops and 20 mins to subdue him and get him into the police car.

We live in a beautiful suburb in LA where there is almost no crime to speak of - don't think that it can't happen just because of where you live.
Scary stuff! Something similar happened to my family when I was a kid. Luckily the cops where out pretty quick but it also took 4 cops to hold the guy down, cuff him and get him into the back off the squad car. Great neighborhood with very little crime so you never know.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Great advice all!

This old adage certainly comes to mind...

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away..."

Glad all worked out ok for you and your family
Old 12-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #26
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Great advice all!

When I lived in a small town in Upstate NY an intruder broke into my home late in the night. He had been in the house for a while before my wife and I were alerted and woke up. What woke us up, was our 100lb German White Shepherd confronting him at the bedroom door. He ran down the stairs and was vanishing down the street before I got to the door. I now have variety of guns secured in the house and my wife is also trained to use them.

A favorite pic of my old dog:

Epilogue: The next day, the girlfriend of the intruder came by our house to apologize. He was a DJ who had left a party quite drunk and had known a previous tenant of our house. Our back door had been unlocked and he came in to 'crash for a while'. Had I shot him, instead of having him chased out of my house, it would have been ...regrettable. Bottom line, I will not hesitate to use deadly force if my family is in jeopardy, but I will not make the decision lightly, or blindly fire at an intruder.

Some of the marketing and lobbying efforts of the NRA can be very annoying to me, but the safety and proficiency training through affiliated groups is top notch. NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA Certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Last edited by 78F350; 12-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Not in CA my friend :-)
Just read the brief on this. Interesting stuff. Absurd, but interesting. Is CA the only state with this specific... not sure what it is? Not being an owner of any of these won't effect my avoidance of your lovely state.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #28

Not to sound like a conspiracy nut..............Given the uncertainty of things politically bragging about your arsenal (most of you guys have not) online isn't very bright.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgal48 View Post
Just read the brief on this. Interesting stuff. Absurd, but interesting. Is CA the only state with this specific... not sure what it is? Not being an owner of any of these won't effect my avoidance of your lovely state.
Yes, we give up quite a bit politically to live in the nice weather and job market...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #30

.45 ACP for me. I open carry plus have a CCW.

SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #31
Racer Boy

What reactions do you get from people when open carrying?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #32

Does not matter. It's legal to do so and I love watching the liberals cringe.
SteelStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #33
Racer Boy

I figured that would be your response. That fits the profile of most of the open carry guys I've seen.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #34
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Why drag up this disgusting spew masquerading as a discussion thread?
This is a car forum.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Why drag up this disgusting spew masquerading as a discussion thread?
This is a car forum.

Then you'd be supportive of doing away with the "Off Topic" forum section?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #36
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Then you'd be supportive of doing away with the "Off Topic" forum section?
Most definitely

"Off Topic" section (as in, not the Porsche 986 Boxster, but maybe still car related ) or not, this is still a car forum. Take the little **** political gun debate to a gun forum.
Unless your intent on this site is to create rifts within our community, topics like this have no business here. How is that not obvious?

Nothing says you can't stick your tongue into a wall socket, either. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-14-2016 at 12:32 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #37

Back on Topic

I carry a S&W featherweight .38 most of the time because it's so light I don't even know I have it on. Sometimes I carry my 9mm Glock. I have a CCW, but sometimes, given what I'm wearing I end up open carrying -- which is legal in Ohio. The only comment I ever got was, "Exercising your rights, huh?"
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #38

Garage
German cars and German guns...Sig Sauer and H&K are well built pistols. If you are a first time buyer I would go to a gun range and take advantage of their rentals to see what you like and can handle. Practice once you have one.
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Most definitely

"Off Topic" section (as in, not the Porsche 986 Boxster, but maybe still car related ) or not, this is still a car forum. Take the little **** political gun debate to a gun forum.
Unless your intent on this site is to create rifts within our community, topics like this have no business here. How is that not obvious?

Nothing says you can't stick your tongue into a wall socket, either. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.
And I guess none of your conversations ever divert from the original topic. Sheesh. Since this is the 986 forum, we better not discuss ANYTHING else, to include 987s, 911s, Gemballas, cats, etc. Better stick on topic.

Here's an idea: if you don't like a topic, don't participate, just move on, or should we all conform to your expectations? Here's another idea: start your own forum and run it the way you want.

Last edited by ianacole; 09-25-2016 at 08:45 AM.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #40

Actually, we don't talk about cats. Not anymore, anyway.