986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Off topic-gun ownership (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59756)

oc-boxster 12-07-2015 02:19 PM

Off topic-gun ownership

I know it's not Porsche related but since the members here on the forum represent almost the whole country, I'm looking for some advice from those with knowledge. With all the BS going on in this country and crazy people and crime at an all time high, I have been thinking its time for me to exercise my 2nd amendment right to bear arms. I live in California and have never owned or fired a gun before. What is the best way for me to purchase, educate, learn and train to be a responsible gun owner? I don't have much of an interest in guns, but unfortunately I feel it's time to have one to protect my home if necessary-any gun owners out there with advice?

flouese 12-07-2015 03:49 PM

If you are not familiar or comfortable with firearms, take a class. In Florida, unless you are active duty or retired military and you desire to carry concealed, you must take a class. The class teaches the four firearm safety rules and you spend time on the range where you can handle a variety of weapons from revolvers to semi-automatics.

Revolvers are bulky (IMO) for concealed carry, but they are point and shoot, no need to chamber a round. Semi-automatic have a smaller profile and are easy to conceal. A .22 if put in the right location will stop a bad guy just as a 9mm or .357. If you miss w/a .22, you better be able to out run them.

Most semi-automatics have a 10 round magazine (not a clip). If you can't get the job done in 10 rounds, again, you better be a fast runner.

Unfortunately, the only place I don't carry is at work. For some silly reason, you're prohibited from carrying on a military base. Hopefully a change will come around, especially after the results of Ft. Hood.

My preference is a compact Kel-Tec 9mm; light, no safety, but a long trigger pull which acts as the safety and ammo is readily available. If I'm going to a movie, I carry a Walther .22. Fits comfortably in my pocket where I can draw it from a seated position if necessary.

Lastly, best advise, train, train, train. If you can't shoot, have a good throwing arm. You might get lucky and hit them between the eyes when you chuck the empthy weapon at them.

Luv2Box 12-07-2015 04:03 PM

Like you I live in California and in a small town where it is unlikely I would ever have use for a weapon. Years ago, as a youth, I owned a 22 semi automatic rifle and took a course on handling, firing and care of a weapon. I don't remember who it was through but I also recommend you do the same if considering owning a firearm. I had not owned a firearm until I saw what the youth gangs did to the elderly after the earthquake in Haiti and decided that it was time to own one again. I decided on a Chinese made assault shotgun with an 18" barrel. Just to look at it makes me want to run and I'm hoping it would do the same to an intruder, or group of intruders. If not I have 00 buck and one ounce slugs to convince them to run...or die.:cheers:

Jamesp 12-07-2015 04:35 PM

Safety is the first thing you'll need to learn, and be able to teach to anyone you handle guns with. That really is the most important thing. Then you need to learn to operate your guns which requires practice at the range. Having a gun is less than useless if you are not proficient with it. Hoping to scare a threat off with a gun is wishful, and dangerous thinking. If you pull a gun, kill a man, that way there's only one story to tell - G Gordon Liddy. Seriously, you'll need a course in gun law right out of the box, and then take it from there. The last thing to come to grips with is if you really want to shoot someone if that is what it takes to stop a threat. You'll live with that the rest of your life. Hiding / running away is a viable, and maybe less dangerous alternative. Doing so with a gun in your hand affords extra insurance.

Chuck W. 12-07-2015 04:53 PM

If you elect to buy a gun get a lot of training. One on one training is the best. Then, practice practice practice. Dry fire, live fire .. practice. In addition to being proficient with the firearm, work on being mentally prepared when to use it and when not to. Be well educated on the laws dealing with using deadly force. Talk to the experts and learn which firearm would be best for you needs.

10/10ths 12-07-2015 05:07 PM

Take a safety course...

...learn how to safely operate the weapon.

Never point the barrel at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Never put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on your target.

If you can't see it, don't shoot it.

For home defense, get a Remington 870 pump shotgun and load it with #4 bird shot.

The sound of you "pumping" the shotgun is the universal signal to get out of the house because you know what comes next.

#4 bird shot is lethal at bed to door distance, but won't punch through the walls of your apartment and hurt the baby in the next room.

For personal carry or glove box, get a Smith & Wesson "Air Weight" .38 revolver. It's small, light, and will not jam. You pull the trigger, and it fires. Every time. Five shots is enough for most situations.

If you decide you want a semi-auto with a high capacity magazine, it's hard to beat a Glock or a Springfield Armory XD series gun. Both offer 9mm with 19 round magazines.

I would stick with a revolver, however, because they have no safety to fool with, have less chance for accidental discharge, are simple, won't jam, and you can hand it to a spouse or child or co-worker if everything is going to crap and THEY can shoot it without thinking or training.

Load a pistol with Hornady "Personal Defense" ammo or Speer "Gold Dot" ammo and you have a very effective load.

Finally....Practice, Practice, Practice.

Shooting a weapon in anger at someone who is trying to kill you is NOT easy.

Good luck.

Be safe.

Mark_T 12-07-2015 05:45 PM

I'll weigh in on this one. This will be all my opinion, but I can back my opinion with results - 1990 Canadian champion, ISU Standard Pistol

A handgun is difficult to shoot well and requires much training. Mastering the basic fundamentals is key.

I started with an good quality air pistol, a Feinwekrbau. This allows you to master your fundamentals before dealing with the noise and recoil. Starting with too much gun too soon can cause you to develop a flinch which can be difficult to overcome. Practice until your group is smaller than a dime at that 10 meter distance.

From there I moved on to a .22. The Ruger Mark III is an excellent choice for starters - reliable and accurate. Again, this allows you to further your skills while still having minimal noise and recoil to deal with.

With this method of training I found I could fire any centerfire handgun accurately. I particularly liked the .44. I've had S&W 29's, Redhawks and Super Blackhawks and I can guarantee you that you won't hit squat with these guns if you haven't developed a good skill set first.

Now, as far as what gun would I carry for defense (if we were allowed to do that here in Canada), my first choice would be an accurized 1911 in 45 ACP. That's totally a personal preference as that gun just worked for me. A good choice that would work for just about anyone would be the .40 Glock - hard-hitting, accurate, reliable, lightweight, and relatively easy to fire well.

Get into competition and shoot regularly. Practice your draw and be totally comfortable with the gun you choose. Be fully prepared and committed to using it should the situation arise.

If we're talking home defense here, I wouldn't use a handgun. A good short-barrelled 12 gauge is the way to go. My preference here would be the Winchester Defender, probably the fastest cycling pump out there, with practice of course. Five aimed and controlled shots in under 2 1/2 seconds is quite achievable.

oc-boxster 12-07-2015 06:20 PM

I didn't think about a shotgun. That may be a better more visible deterent.

10/10ths 12-07-2015 07:38 PM

Indeed it is...

...there is an old saying, "A handgun is something you pick up on your way to your long gun."

If it's home defense, yes, shotgun all the way. And I will go along with the Winchester Defender.

Remington 870 is also great.

Mossbergs are cheap and reliable.

Racer Boy 12-07-2015 07:58 PM

Actually, most crime in most places is at historic lows. For most of us (depending on where we live and our age), it is less likely that we'll be a victim than at any other time during our lives. But there have been some highly publicized events that have many people frightened.

Like others have said, practice, practice, practice. Personally, I won't carry a gun, as it is so unlikely that I'll ever need a gun that it just isn't worth the hassle of carrying one. Mark_T is right, a shotgun is the way to go for home defense. It's really a safer weapon (less likely to have an accident with it), and like someone else said, the sound of one chambering a round is universally understood that something bad is about to happen.

BIGJake111 12-07-2015 08:05 PM

Threads like this are why I like this forum. There is a lot of knowledge floating around here be it on defensive driving, tires, or guns. I don't always comment but I'm always reading and learning.

Thanks to all those who contribute to the wealth of knowledge present here.

I'll be looking at getting a gun some point later in my life. Not a concern for now, but it's still nice to learn.

Lapister 12-07-2015 08:22 PM

Guns

Your'e in SoCal, go to your local gunshop be it Turners or any other reputable shop and take your gun safety test there. Believe there is a small fee but they will run you thru it. They can help you out in familiarizing you with handguns and if you decide to purchase, there is a 10 day wait. I just sold a handgun to a friend and he just went thru it in the store. Good luck. I'm off to the range tomorrow!

jdraupp 12-08-2015 03:20 AM

The comment about the shotgun was dead on...they hear you rack a round in the chamber and that pucker factor kicks in straightaway. For home defense a 12 gauge shotgun can't be beat, though I'd load it with at least buck shot and my preference is for slugs. Remember if you have to use it you want it to count as it is your life likely on the line.

As far as handguns, as many others have said find a place that let's you try quite a few. The tiny subcompact pistols are neat in that they fit in the palm of your hand, but they are very difficult to be accurate with. Most also have tiny little jokes for sights. The new glock 43 is a great option as you have the reliable glock system with actual sights in a compact package. Try everything though. Every gun has its own quirks, maintenance needs, operation methods.

If you can find a firearms class that will be well worth it. It also will be something to protect you in the awful case that you used your weapon and the person that forced you to use it on has family that thinks they were a choir boy and goes after you with a lawyer. Doubt it would happen, but in today's world you never know. At least you can say you had training that way.

Best of luck to you.

morgal48 12-08-2015 05:54 AM

Another option might be a Taurus Judge revolver. With a five round capacity and the ability to use both .45 ACP and 410 ga. shotshells at the same time. One can alternate 410s and 45s or use all of one or the other. The pistol is named the Judge because it is reputed to be a favorite of judges, and is carried in and out of the courtroom.
Practice is the key.

cfos 12-08-2015 10:32 AM

Though I prefer trap, I may consider sporting clays: Watch a marksman go clay shooting from a Porsche 911

Dlirium 12-08-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 475767)
...there is an old saying, "A handgun is something you pick up on your way to your long gun."

If it's home defense, yes, shotgun all the way. And I will go along with the Winchester Defender.

Remington 870 is also great.

Mossbergs are cheap and reliable.

Totally agree with this post. If you haven't owned a gun and this is for home defense, a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 tactical is the way to go.

In CA, you aren't going to be able to conceal carry a pistol anyway, so no point in even thinking about that option. Plus, there is a lot less "pain and suffering" associated with buying a shotgun vs a pistol out here.

Now, you DO have to be careful about what ammo you use, as 00 buck will go right through sheet rock. If you have kids, or others in the house, you may want to consider #4 shot - and NOT magnum! 2 3/4 is fine!

Dlirium 12-08-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgal48 (Post 475812)
Another option might be a Taurus Judge revolver. With a five round capacity and the ability to use both .45 ACP and 410 ga. shotshells at the same time. One can alternate 410s and 45s or use all of one or the other. The pistol is named the Judge because it is reputed to be a favorite of judges, and is carried in and out of the courtroom.
Practice is the key.

Not in CA my friend :-)

rick3000 12-08-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dlirium (Post 475849)
Totally agree with this post. If you haven't owned a gun and this is for home defense, a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 tactical is the way to go.

In CA, you aren't going to be able to conceal carry a pistol anyway, so no point in even thinking about that option. Plus, there is a lot less "pain and suffering" associated with buying a shotgun vs a pistol out here.

Now, you DO have to be careful about what ammo you use, as 00 buck will go right through sheet rock. If you have kids, or others in the house, you may want to consider #4 shot - and NOT magnum! 2 3/4 is fine!

I 100% agree with this, a shotgun if the best option if you are looking for home defense, and do not have any interest in shooting as a hobby. (A handgun requires aim and practice.) With a shotgun you don't really need to aim, and with the correct ammunition you can be less worried about a stray round going through a wall. I personally like the Mossberg 500.

If you are new to firearms definitely take a class and learn the basics. :cheers:

Topless 12-09-2015 01:37 PM

Yep, this crazy stuff is going to get worse before it gets better. I have owned rifles and shotguns all my life and it's time to stock up and spend some quality time on the range.

I agree with most of the other posters. If you really want to own a gun for home defense in CA, get a 12 GA shotgun and train with it regularly. Maybe take up skeet as a hobby to get you out to the range monthly. A gun is like a dog and needs regular exercise, care, and feeding. A gun in the house that you are not completely familiar with is more dangerous to you than the bad guys.

In addition, I recommend layers of security so that going for the 12 GA is never your first move when taken by surprise in your sleep, but your last resort when fully awake and aware. A gated property, dog for early warning, motion sensor outdoor lighting, big azz lock hardware, and a can of bear spray, all offer you a non-lethal opportunity for the bad guy to re-think entering your house and taking two in the chest. It also buys you a lot of time to get fully awake and aware, know his location, call the cops and take a strong defensive position if this perp really does want in. If you do have to make a mess in your house, you did everything right to try and stop him first

Good luck!

BYprodriver 12-09-2015 03:39 PM

A new can of wasp & hornet spray will shoot 30ft & temporarily blind someone if it gets in their eyes. That gives you time to restore your night vision from sleeping & get you weapon. :matchup: