Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
Boxster_S_Dude

Garage
Hello Everyone (New to the Forum)

Hello Forum Member

Hope everyone is doing well!

I purchased my single owner 2000 Boxster S hardtop/softtop convertible recently. I always wanted a convertible sports car but wanted something older that I could update and work on.

I really enjoy driving the Boxster S with the hardtop on or off. Its a great looking vehicle. I am learning a lot about the car as I have started to work on it.

1. Added a new double DIN stereo w/ apple CarPlay and added a backup camera.
2. painted a sunburn on the rear quarter panel.

It has 55K miles on it and is in excellent condition.

I am about to replace an oil gasket on the car as it has a leak due to the car had been sitting for about 4 years before I was able to get my hands on it. Gasket hardened due to lack of driving. I will also do the clutch as the clutch should be replaced about every 30K miles and currently the car has the original clutch in it. It is easy to replace when doing the oil gasket. I'll take photos. Probably won't do it for about 2-3 weeks from now.

I also own a 2017 Macan that my wife seems to enjoy as I don't get to drive it very often.

Recently test drove the Taycan and it was the fastest vehicle I have ever been in. 0-60 in < 3sec and 25-90 < 3sec...its crazy fast! If you get a chance to drive one, go for it.

2000_Boxster_S_Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #2

Please tell my why a clutch should be replaced every 30 thousand miles???
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
Boxster_S_Dude

Garage
Porsche recommends to change the clutch on the Boxster S every 30K miles. In my case, I don't know how the car was driven by the previous owner so I will go with the recommendation. If you drive on the highway often and don't live in a city doing starting and stopping and driving up and down hills etc. then the clutch can last a very long time. If you live in a city, like the previous owner of my car did, then it is likely to last 30K-60K miles. If you autocross the car often, you might want to do it sooner depending on how you drive.

I am doing the clutch mainly because I am changing the oil gasket seal and the clutch will be exposed and easy to change. Otherwise, I might have taken my chances and waited until the clutch starts to slip/fail.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Boxster_S_Owner View Post
Porsche recommends to change the clutch on the Boxster S every 30K miles. In my case, I don't know how the car was driven by the previous owner so I will go with the recommendation. If you drive on the highway often and don't live in a city doing starting and stopping and driving up and down hills etc. then the clutch can last a very long time. If you live in a city, like the previous owner of my car did, then it is likely to last 30K-60K miles. If you autocross the car often, you might want to do it sooner depending on how you drive.

I am doing the clutch mainly because I am changing the oil gasket seal and the clutch will be exposed and easy to change. Otherwise, I might have taken my chances and waited until the clutch starts to slip/fail.
I'm trying to follow you here.... 'cuz this is a cool acquisition.
In your first post, you say you're going to replace an oil gasket..... but we were left wondering which one. And then you said you'd replace the clutch because it should be done at 30k miles and "its' easy to do". (?!?!?!?!)

Now in this post you seem to be clarifying that you're talking about the rear-main seal that you intend to replace? And that's why the clutch would then be "easy".

All I'm thinking right now is that either you are the BADDEST-A$$ DIY-er, who approaches a rear-main-seal and clutch so "nonchalantly", or you aren't yet certain what t is you're in for.

Tell us which, so we know what role you'd like us to play here?

(I'm a guy who ain't skeered to dive in and do just about anything on a car, but I still need to be "emotionally prepared" to do something like a clutch. :dance: )
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Boxster_S_Dude

Garage
Sorry...I had an oil leak and it was coming from the rear main seal. When you replace the rear main seal, you can get to the clutch. I will do this with my brother in law who is a Porsche Mechanic and have done several DIYs with him before. I'll take photos and try to show how to do it. The last time we did something like this we did in about 1/2 the recommended time but I do give my brother in law credit of course. I am learning as I go but have done several re-builds of engines so far. Also, I have access to a lift so I will be working while standing below.

With all this said, it is not an easy process but if you follow the process and have the right tools it doesn't require a ton of complicated procedures.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
I just did the rms/ims and full clutch in my car at 100k. Probably original clutch as everything was oem porsche parts. The clutch can last in these cars. Did it on jack stands by myself and I will say it was easy. I used to wrench my own cars because I was cheap, but haven’t done a clutch in 35 years (vw, dodge pickup, toyota corolla rwd, and Honda prelude) and this was the easiest one by far. Toughest part was some exhaust bolts, but once I bought a torch and heated them...easy. 30k is early, but it’s a once your in there thing, right? Also used a little HF transmission jack that simplified the realignment.
Let us know how it goes and pay particular attention to your driveshaft to transmission bolts. Unless they are clean and with Loctite, they tend to back out after several hundred miles. Recheck them after a few days when your done. You will also be pulling the flywheel, so you need new flywheel bolts, and it’s good idea to replace that with clutch, along with pressure plate and release bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Boxster_S_Dude

Garage
Thank you for the head's up. I'll let you know how it goes.