Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If its any comparision im only 17,about to turn 18 and I am buying a 99 Boxster with my own money in a little less then two weeks. Its amazing what knowledge of guitars and EBay can do for a young person. I think anyone who has a passion for driving classy cars can enjoy a Boxster none-the-less,despite the age.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 10-08-2005 at 05:26 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #42

Just registered...I've been looking for a good forum...

I'm 33, married (4 year anniversary in Nov.), and still w/o kids...I've been driving an Audi A4 for the past 6 years. When my wife said she still wasn't ready to have kids and wants to travel some more, I wanted to get my dream convertible roadster...because when the kids come, it may not be practical to get a 2-seater....So I got a '02 Silver Boxster S with 15K miles on it.

The way I see it...we are blessed!... we have a house, great jobs, no kids (yet) and it's like we are in our 20s...except we have more money now. At first, my wife was kinda pissed, but after a month, she's been asking when we're taking a trip up the Pacific Coast Hwy... :dance: Fine Living.....Live Like You mean it!
Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #43

Yes, the PCH up to wine country in your Box.

Does it get any better?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #44

There is no justifcation for buying a Porsche, it is not in any way a good financial move for anyone that is worried about the cost. I have spent WAY more than I thought I would on my used boxster (firgured it was "like new" since it only had 13k miles), and I would be much more "comfortable" if I hadn't bought it. That being said...

I love my Porsche.

Almost everyone on here does. It is a relationship, and a great one. It has a lot of ups and a lot of downs. There are many hidden costs. Here is a breakdown on what I have spent this year:

$500 - 15k Maintence
$1300 - Fixing electrical issues from car (2001 with 13k miles) sitting unused for 3 years
$1200 - New Tires (keep in mind you will need new tires every 15 to 25 thousand miles, and 25 thousand is really pushing it, CHEAP tires are 900 bucks)
$300 - Radar detector
$1200 - Various speeding tickets and lawyers fees for "fixing" tickets (god bless missouri, speeding tickets can be reduced to non-moving for a fee)
$250 - 30k Maintenence
$1500 - New Clutch (thanks original owner!)

I realize I have probably had more little things pop up than most other people. It averages out to about $500 a month extra for me this year. I hope that next year will be a bit more wallet friendly, however, if it's not I'm still gonna keep it because I love the car way too much. Point being? If you can't afford an extra 300 to 500 dollars a month in maintence, on top of your monthly payment, insurance and gas, then you should probably wait. If you can and are willing to, you will never second guess your purchase.

One last rant, the younger you are when you buy it, the younger you will be when it's paid off. My goal is to have it paid in full before I have any kids, then it's garage time and I get to have a great weekend car that's all paid off.
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #45

Obviously, that $300 "investment" in the radar detector is not paying off.

Perhaps, you want to look at that particular set of expenses as not related to Boxster ownership?

Old 10-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #46

I actually just got the radar detector and have been fine since. I didn't want one in fear that I would have 'too much faith in it', but 5 tickets into the year I decided I can't be any worse and most of my tickets are trivial 10-15MPH over so it should help. Luckily in Missouri, you can simply pay a traffic lawyer to get your ticket changed to a non-moving viloation for an extra 150 bucks or so. God bless America!

But I will stick with the point that for any guy in his 20's needs to factor in at least a few speeding tickets a year and arguably the increase of cost in going to nicer restaurants with better looking women (but that may be getting too nitty gritty).
natecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #47

"arguably the increase of cost in going to nicer restaurants with better looking women (but that may be getting too nitty gritty). "

Now there is NOTHING wrong with spending money on good looking women!

Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #48

PORSCHE =

Proof
Of
Rich
Spoilt
Children
Having
Everything

Im 26 and getting my 2001 boxster S tomorrow. Purchased with no finance. I'm a lawyer (long hours so its hard to find time to spend money). Hope to do my first track day next week.

Guys, why not take the car to the track and avoid the speeding tickets!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 AM   #49

CONGRATS on the Boxster. All that hard work paid off.

Enjoy!

Old 12-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #50

Cool Insatiable

I just love this site!!
Got a real charge reading what these "youngsters" say about owning / buying their Boxsters.
I'm due to pick up my first Boxster or Porsche for that matter at the end of Jan. An 03/ 2.7 with 14000 Kms. Arctic silver 18" wheels and a few other nice goodies.
Wait for it ------------------------------------------------- I'm 68 !!!!!!
Wife says I get free membership to SOFA ---" Silly Old Farts Association" but who cares ,you can still have fun up until they nail the lid down!
Any other Grandpa owners out there?
Happy Motoring to you all in 2006
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #51

Garage
I am 61 and have waited a long time for my Boxster..a 2004 S w/45k miles. I saved up, paid cash. Loved every minute behind the wheel. No major issues yet and the jist of money I have spent so far has been for tools so I can do my own service/repairs..
STRANGEPOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #52

Well I am 54, and get crap from everyone too. Why you do you need a sports car!
But my wife does enjoy taking trips in it.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFreeze View Post
Well, I just registered with the site and have been reading and taking in as much info as possible. Ive been tossing around the idea of purchasing a 01 Boxster S model. Overall are they good realiable vehicles? How much am I going to be looking at for expensises. I just turned 24, and was lucky enough to land a great job out of college... Just wondering if this will be for me. The way I look at it is I have no kids, no wife and this will probably be the only time in my life where I can say a Boxster is "practical"

Any thoughts?

- Jeff -
Assume preventative maintenance on all service items, IMS bearing, all bushes, ball joints, air-oil separator, alternator, water pump, thermostat, ancillary drive items, plugs, coils, engine sensors..

My strategy is to assume that if any of the above mentioned is not new or recently replaced, plan to replace it as part of preventative maintenance.

I for example budget a few hundred pounds (European dollars) per month and purchase one or a few of the above, until they've all been replaced by me. Only then do I have enough confidence to take the vehicle on a long road trip etc..

perhaps driving many old cars for daily drivers for years has made me a pessimist, but I have not broken down in the last 5 years of classic car daily driving..

Beers,

Biscuit.
Bullet-Proof_Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #54

Wow, old thread still alive. Funny thing is, the OP would be fast approaching 40 now! Hope he bought it and enjoyed it the last 13 years!
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #55
whiteraven

Garage
I waited way to long for my Porsche. But I agree with Insatiable, no need to stop having fun, until they close the lid. And even then....well who knows. Are you ready ........................I'm 69. 2008 Boxter 5 sp man. Love it. :dance:

Whiteraven is offline   Reply With Quote