Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #1

Hello from North Ga

Hello. I am a new forum member looking to get into a Porsche in the next year. I have wanted one for about 20 years and never been able to buy into one. The closest I have gotten so far has been a couple of Matchbox and Hot Wheels 911s. I even started to buy a 944 once but backed out due to the age and it really wasn't what I was looking for. I want the classic 911, but realistically, I think a Boxster or Cayman would suit me better. I do all of my own mechanical work and have since I was about 9yrs old. I am 46 now. I have a background in electronics, computers, all things mechanical, and work as a Nurse in the only Trauma center in North Ga. I am hoping this forum, along with reading other information, will get me up to speed on the years that will suit me best so I can go into purchasing a good Porsche unit and not make big mistakes in new ownership.
Also, I moved into the mecca for driving in N Ga, after 22 years of making it a goal. So, some may say it takes me a little while to act on my goals, but at least I am making some of them now after cutting loose a big anchor attached for the last 21 years.

eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #2

Welcome! And thank you for serving in your noble profession.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

I was in your same spot last year. This forum has been great, members were really good with answering my questions (I had a lot of them). The best advice that you will see repeatedly is to buy the newest Boxster you can afford and prepare for $1500 yearly in upkeep. Also read about the IMS bearing. When it is time to buy be patient, there is a lot of junk available. I scoured cargurus.com, cars.com, autotrader.com and Craigslist for months. I was very particular about what I wanted.

I just bought one today and I have loved my first 3 hours of ownership. I already made an appt to get some work done on it so my journey begins.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum, some great guys with lots of knowledge. I share what little have when I can, but there is an impressive amount of knowledge here.

Also when shopping go through the maintenance documentation, and get a PPI as final step. These cars are in the 20 year zone so always something to sort. However, its the most enjoyable car I have driven so far, and I have driven alot of cars.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

Sorry for the late reply in welcoming you to the forums...

Welcome!

I found it was really helpful to talk to people face to face about their cars - most Porsche owners I've met are all too happy to show you their car, tell you about any upgrades they've done, problems they've had, and why they love their cars so much.

If you aren't far from Atlanta, you might want to come to one of the monthly club "Socials", which are basically the monthly club meeting held at a restaurant. The location varies each month, and I don't see a location for next month yet, but you can find out what it will be by checking the calendar on the PeachState PCA website (Home | Peachstate PCA).

You might want to check out one of the Porsches & Coffee meetups - the next one is down in Peachtree City (Starbucks, 130 Peachtree East Shopping Center, Peachtree City GA 30269) on August 4th from 9-11am.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Sorry for the late reply in welcoming you to the forums...

Welcome!

I found it was really helpful to talk to people face to face about their cars - most Porsche owners I've met are all too happy to show you their car, tell you about any upgrades they've done, problems they've had, and why they love their cars so much.

If you aren't far from Atlanta, you might want to come to one of the monthly club "Socials", which are basically the monthly club meeting held at a restaurant. The location varies each month, and I don't see a location for next month yet, but you can find out what it will be by checking the calendar on the PeachState PCA website (Home | Peachstate PCA).

You might want to check out one of the Porsches & Coffee meetups - the next one is down in Peachtree City (Starbucks, 130 Peachtree East Shopping Center, Peachtree City GA 30269) on August 4th from 9-11am.
I am in Helen Ga. Seems the perfect spot for a Porsche group to meet up before going on epic ride through the mountain roads up here. I will check and see if there is anything I can make. Would probably feel out of place not being an owner.

eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote