View Single Post
Old 08-17-2024, 02:48 PM   #1
MontrealPharoah

CEL from new O2 Sensor Turns into Cylinder Misfire

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me as I'm new to the Porsche world and I'm having a problem that I'm going to discuss in detail in order to give all the info.

So I have a 1998 986 Boxster that has 151K Kilometers on it and it's in pretty great condition given it's age.

The previous owner I bought her from had the O2 sensors replaced for me before handing her over and it prompted a CEL which I assumed was just the sensors adapting or something of that sort.

So after almost two weeks I bought a cheap OBDII scanner (ANCEL AD310) and decided to clear the codes because I didn't wanna take her to a shop just to get the codes cleared.

The only code that the scanner showed was for the O2 sensor and since they were brand new, I decided it was okay to clear it.

Fast forward two days after (didn't drive it the next day), I get in my car and immediately I hear something wrong with the engine coming from the left side. I start moving and I hear popcorn noises from the left and she keeps on stuttering. I drive to a parking lot right next to my house and it feels like she barely has any power and every time I press the gas I hear the popcorn noises again. I give a few revs and wait like 5 minutes and it feels like she's a bit better.

She's a bit stuttery until I get to the highway and keeps shutting off and then on the highway it feels like she doesn't have enough power to reach 100 km/h while on 3rd. At some point, I shift up to 4th and she accelerates so it feels like she was lacking power from med. to high rpm.

I get where I need to get and I get in 3 hours later and she was mostly fine. Shut off a couple times in traffic but after that she was fine?

I hook the OBD2 sensor when I get home and I get the following codes:

P1317 - Misfire Cylinder 5 - Emission Related
P1215 - Misfire Cylinder 4 - Emission Related
P0130 - O2 Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 sensor 1
P0150 - O2 Sensor Circuit - Bank 2 sensor 1
P1130 - Oxygen Sensing

This was yesterday.

Today I start her up while worried the same thing would happen and she blows a lil white smoke from the exhaust that lasts about a minute or less but otherwise, she seems fine. I felt a bit of a loss of power on the highway and I could smell a bit of gas yet nothing alarming. Besides that, she seemed to run fine and without any issues.

I thought of clearing the codes again and seeing what happens but I'm honestly a bit worried to do so as I feel like that was the action that brought me here in the first place.

I'm very sorry for such a long post, I just thought it would better to give all the information I can give so whoever is reading can have the full picture.

Thanks in advance!
MontrealPharoah is offline   Reply With Quote