Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #61

Custom Cockpits

Quick Update

Still going ahead, part-time, tempering with details and getting closer & closer to some 'potentially' rewarding material. Judge by yourself! I'll update on the technical bits later on, but for now. Coding coding coding and fancy pics ladies and gent.

^ My dream! and something/somewhere tells me its yours too

^ Supports daytime: in white! Evil Porsche Boxster Amber for night driving as above cockpit of course. Our CAD boxster is mapped on a 10mm*10mm grid... so we can light up the affected areas of the car as fault occurs real-time (/w a meep-meep-meep alarm sound lolll).

^ No gauges sorry guys, although preetee easy to do. Only using scientific plots/charts, stylish and clean ones with splines.

^ Of course, all customizable

Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #62

Oh, Note: those plots/charts are LIVE

I.e.They slowly more from right to left and update as data bind from the odb/can. Nothing as static looking as those visuals lolll I'll see if I can videograb and upload on youtube to show the flow of this LIVE console diagnostic panel. Pretty sweet
Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #63

Garage
Very nice work! 👍🏻
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #64
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

^ Supports daytime: in white! Evil Porsche Boxster Amber for night driving as above cockpit of course. Our CAD boxster is mapped on a 10mm*10mm grid... ...
Brilliant. But... Now I'm going to want a pressure sensor array with a module to feed the data into CAN. Could be used for live aerodynamic tuning. In my case, I'd just like the pretty picture on my screen.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #65

Calls on every Developers-of-the-World for help lolll

In all seriousness, if anyone wants to develop its own widgets or even smart apps, be my guess. Jump in and just make it your own. Welcome All
Old 06-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
In my case, I'd just like the pretty picture on my screen.
You need that same virtual boxster in Interactive 360-Vision version
(with less dramatic colors)

Old 06-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #67
I am No. 1348

Garage
That would be incredible. I haven't coded in years. Looks like C Sharp in .NET
Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #68

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
I too would like a decent single din system, I want to do the GT3 delete so cannot move the aircon controls down.
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
I too would like a decent single din system, I want to do the GT3 delete so cannot move the aircon controls down.
Wrong thread, Terry lolll Have a look at what these folks did. Don't think it gets better than that in the single din config. Post in their thread if you have questions on the single deck, sure these fellas knows more than I do. Luck with the GT3 setup

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/66343-continental-tr7412ub-stereo-installation-review.html
Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #70

Garage
Quote:
Oh, Note: those plots/charts are LIVE

I.e.They slowly more from right to left and update as data bind from the odb/can. Nothing as static looking as those visuals lolll I'll see if I can videograb and upload on youtube to show the flow of this LIVE console diagnostic panel. Pretty sweet
Can we get the oil pressure live from the odb/can? Would be sweet to be able to monitor the oil pressure and get a VERY clear alarm if it goes under a set level.

Yes, I run on R-tires and occasionally track the car..
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #71

General answer; whatever the official Porsche PIWIS I, II and III can "READ" in terms of sensors and states (live or stored data), you can have it rotating on those plots/charts. Nothing is encrypted, easy to sniff traffic, anything really?

Will require 3rd party (inexpensive) Bluetooth ODBII interface. If you opt for the additional $9.99 Bluetooth GPS module lolll, you can have that oil temp & pressure mapped for each laps/waypoints - shall we need that.

Limitless/again, wait until other chaps joins in the development

Note: no idea if Piwis 3 works on our cars, only have access to PIWIS I & II here
Old 06-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #72

As for writing, e.g. storing new keys, upgrading cruise controls, immob, etc, that will require "wired" interfacing. No fool write to Porsche cars with cheap $9.99 ODBII dongles from ebay.com. That USB-2-CAN interface is roughly $120 (China price lolll). Shall anyone need this option.

Developers and Developers of-the-world, where is your support when needed!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert986 View Post
Can we get the oil pressure live from the odb/can? Would be sweet to be able to monitor the oil pressure and get a VERY clear alarm if it goes under a set level.

Yes, I run on R-tires and occasionally track the car..
No, there is no oil pressure sensor on the 986 boxster, just an oil pressure switch that goes off around 10 psi or thereabouts.

There is oil temperature though....
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #74

He needs the data on odb/CAN. I've assumed that he already changed the switch for part # 996990*** whatever it is 911. That should register as voltage/channel on the CAN. Can't imagine they've omitted the CAN register for pressure (software-side)? Although I wouldn't be surprised, is the loom/6P connector there at least?!

Do remember reading mechanical pressure gauge are hardwired/retrofit, never read about enabling them over CAN so just guessing here. We'll find out soon enough

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-12-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #75

Fred,
As far as I recall even guys with a 996 cluster in a boxster don't route the signal though CAN bus or the older style protocol. It is 996 pressure transducer stuck in the left (if you want to retain the idiot light) or right bank wired to the back on the gauge.....not sure what the stock 996 does. I have a sneaking suspicion that the signal leads are right in wiring loom....someone correct me?

PLX devices for dashcommand and Kiwi require a big signal conditioning boxes. But there is nothing for a windows platform yet as far as I know. Not sure how Bluetooth pairing works for oil pressure on startup...my guess is not

I have a an old dgauge that will take two transducers feeds straight in along with OBD II and display with alarms but I am having trouble with the k line signal timing with my 986 ecu .....was made for a 996 apparently. So the thing does not light up.

Your display style ....is spot on

Last edited by jaykay; 06-12-2017 at 03:10 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #76

So you mean the German pressure sensor is in the dash and sensing remotely? just kiddin..

Signal is available somewhere already I'm sure of that, just got to find it. I'll shoot pid and bytes/conversions here on the board... if I find them before you do I'll go have a look at that sensor when I find passion for it

kline bosch clones made my china $79.99. Works beautifully its funny lolll
Old 06-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #77

post. deleted, I could be completely wrong here. I'll have to look deeper into this to find out more. Got to be an easy and simple way lolll

Nothing misleading to see here carry on your conversations fellas

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-12-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Quote:
Wrong thread, Terry lolll Have a look at what these folks did. Don't think it gets better than that in the single din config. Post in their thread if you have questions on the single deck, sure these fellas knows more than I do. Luck with the GT3 setup

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/66343-continental-tr7412ub-stereo-installation-review.html
Eh? Not sure how it's the wrong thread but since that Continental head unit looks ideal for me I won't sweat it.

Headlights Fred, headlights! Did I mention headlights..., oh and by the way don't forget the headlights!!!!
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #79

Weekend!

Quick Update

Finally had an Alone-at-Home day so I took advantage of the situation for coding the player. Simple as per design requirements, but with extremely advanced sound manipulation algorithms. I am basing the code onto CsCore's library which gives us access to a full 10 bands EQ, few low/high pass filters (bass boost!), and of course (semi-funky) visualizations!

Fairly happy! It is what I've always dreamed of having. Plays literally everything; from the highest bitrate MP3 to lossless FLAC quality

^ The white theme is absolutely mental in daytime. For the moment, here goes what it looks like streaming on the IPS display during the evening. Surely needs to be in a Porsche to standout!

^ Default start-up is the Line Spectrum visualization, tap that spectrum with your finger and you get below:

^ A 3D Print Spectrum for audiophiles... greatly help to achieve a decent sound freq when using the 10 band EQ. Also kinda relaxing to watch as it doesn't bounce up & down like the Line Spectrum.

Subject for change, but for now we can call it a fully debugged backend!

All good fun - enjoy!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #80
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks like that will go well in my car with the amber Skybreaker and Vivos.
Pasted over my old Pioneer system: