Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #421

Garage
Fred,
I'm in for a set in Rex.
Thanks
Van

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #422
WALDMEISTER

Garage
谢谢, 非常感谢, master Fred!

Last edited by BRAN; 01-30-2020 at 08:56 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Took note of all the names who are in for the next batch guys, thanks! I'll get a few dozen turned during spring and get this out before the good weather kicks in.
Awesome! That gives me time think whether I want the gunmetal grey or black version (or both!)

Evan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #424

Garage
Fred,
Count me in for a set of gunmetal gray caps.
Thanks,
Don
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #425

Quote:
You know what Bran, lets try a set anodized in "gold with a black center" and see how this ends up looking, although I' 100% sure it will end up looking killer. I have fresh dye stocks from mid 2019 and have that true gold finish in. Not-for-sale; just a complementary color-test kit for you Bran, I'll send it to you with your other kit (Man that classic pcar... those back wheels' and fender flares, yummy. Jeez man if I had money I'd hunt for a classic like this one).

Took note of all the names who are in for the next batch guys, thanks! I'll get a few dozen turned during spring and get this out before the good weather kicks in.

ps. here goes the spare parts I kept for you guys, just in case of mishaps. Got plenty of them in all colors, adapters and an industrial amount of those lil crests too. You know the drill, shoot me a PM if you need a replacement or anything

Hey fred - forgot I posted this + car had an accident recently. To clarify, only the outer-facing plate fell off, the clamp with tabs is still on the wheel. Unsure how that happened but would definitely love to get a replacement (just the 1 outer-facing plate is good). Let me know how we should do it!
shibeinboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #426
Who's askin'?

Hey y'all!
Help... please.
I'm installing a set of the 2nd generation center caps (man are they pretty!). So these are the ones with the tiny little set-screws. (I THINK that's the 2nd gen, right?)
What's the trick to installing them?

With my big banana-hands and hot-dog fingers, using the supplied allen wrench, I managed to -mostly- install one last night. it took me most of 30 minutes.

Is there a cool tool y'all use? or do you hire children from the neighborhood to do it?

Any tricks or hints would sure be appreciated.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #427

Agree that lil'wrench isn't fantastic, works but certainly no performing LOL See if you can find one with a longer handle in your toolbox or if not use a small diameter metal pipe as an extender e.g. slide the long-end of the hex wrench in it and use that pipe as handle (drinking straw size pipe, or anything else solid and hollow, old broken ink pen, anything...).

Hope the idea helps a bit
Old 02-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #428
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Agree that lil'wrench isn't fantastic, works but certainly no performing LOL See if you can find one with a longer handle in your toolbox or if not use a small diameter metal pipe as an extender e.g. slide the long-end of the hex wrench in it and use that pipe as handle (drinking straw size pipe, or anything else solid and hollow, old broken ink pen, anything...).

Hope the idea helps a bit
I ended up cutting most of the 90d end off of one so I could spin it between my fingers. Then I took the longer one and tightened them up.

They look BEAUTIFUL.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
so I could spin it between my fingers. Then I took the longer one and tightened them up.
Even better than I could come up with!

Ps. sorry for that HelloKitty wrench man (seriously couldn't found longer ones at the time, I'll put a bit more energy next time, thanks for letting know)
Old 03-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #430

Quote:
I realize I may be a little late but if there's any way to squeeze in another order you can put me down as well!

I took a little hiatus but now I'm in the process of really treating my boxster to what she deserves after years of teenage abuse (I know I told you all I wouldn't - I guess it's all part of growing up).

Anyway, it's good to be back! It's great seeing you well and still active in the community!
Old 03-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #431

Just saw this thread that the Fred wheel centers might be coming back. If so, I'm in! Whatever color most closely matches the color of typical aluminum wheels.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #432

Thanks guys. I'm seeing your posts/requests and can confirm those will be back soon enough. I keep you in. As soon as this 'health & safety' situation stabilizes itself I'll be able to give out time-frame.

In a meantime please remain vigilant and in good shape guys (eat & sleep well), and all will go fine. Got quite a few mates here who've been hit, some worst than others, but all recovered already.

ps. struggling with supplies at our end so business is severely impaired and running on the contingency plan. I'll update as soon as things starts to ramp back up.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #433

Garage
Great to hear you're doing well. Stay safe until things get back to some kind of normalcy
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #434
Who's askin'?

Fred, How'd'you like THEM apples?

Old 03-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #435

So today I made another DIY video for removing the stock center caps since I was going to install a set of 1st Gen center caps I bought from another member on here. Figured I'd share it with you guys and give Fred a heads up that a lot more people are about to know about these! ;-)

I know a lot of you guys already subscribe to my channel and I thank you very much for your support! If the others of you don't mind helping out a fellow Boxster owner by clicking a button for me I would really appreciate it!

Keep up the great work Fred! And I think I'm going to need to upgrade these to the new ones in Gunmetal!!! (Also, I sent you a PM about the best way to have people contact you. I included the email you gave me previously. If there is a better way please let me know and I'll change it.)

https://youtu.be/vr79LEFrlrM
2015 Ninja 300

Last edited by TTGator; 03-17-2020 at 12:13 PM.
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #436

Wannnnnnnnt these
damntall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Great to hear you're doing well. Stay safe until things get back to some kind of normalcy
Good to see you here and hearing from you too!!! Same bud, stay safe until this calms down, should be soon now that the weather is warming up a bit, let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
So today I made another DIY video for removing the stock center caps since I was going to install a set of 1st Gen center caps I bought from another member on here. Figured I'd share it with you guys and give Fred a heads up that a lot more people are about to know about these! ;-)
uh-oh, just pulled the GTC inbox and found quite a few emails in there. Why I'm feeling like I should get my rig together and start making instead of talking :/ Thanks man. Let me update in a day or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Fred, How'd'you like THEM apples?
Phenomenally beautiful. The whole Porsche car, I mean. That paint job (wow btw) and color combo is pretty cool. Good shot thanks man, I keep (saved!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damntall View Post
Wannnnnnnnt these
hmm me too :/ Let me get those out in a month (or two) max
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #438

Quote:

uh-oh, just pulled the GTC inbox and found quite a few emails in there. Why I'm feeling like I should get my rig together and start making instead of talking :/ Thanks man. Let me update in a day or two
Yes! He’s back. I need a new set to match my new wheel paint job
2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Yes! He’s back. I need a new set to match my new wheel paint job
Gun metal, saw that/heard!!
Old 05-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #440

Center caps

Fred

I’m in for a set. Not sure if I should get the wheel matching color or the red to match the car, Guards Red. Comments / pictures from anyone?

Thanks

Mark