Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #301

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Clarification (everyone): Martin's brother has the GTC style cap. Not the GT3 style published in this thread.

I've been told by email from his brother that he suspect his mechanic/Wheel installer unscrewed the wrong screw! Mecanic possibly/wrongly associated the center screw for the one holding the cap in place. He may also have forgotten the technique required to secure a M4 screw back together correctly. Bro therefore lost the center part/badge of his cap within days following the maintenance.

Nice8Six Factory should have raised a formal complaint to the CA Transport Ministry and delay all diplomatic relations until further notice, however have instead agreed to simply replace the missing part for free - Martin Bros are good friends of us

Thanks for letting me know you received the cap Martin! SG has no exit port checks, that bag should be held-up at the custom with CA Post. Keep up hope the Inspection Officer is not a chick LOL
Lol gotta love Costco for that, my first gen caps they left loose to rotate >.<

P.s her bag came while I was working outside debating about holding it hostiage to see what I can get out of the deal ...... if I don't post anymore you know she did not take well to the idea! Lol

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #302

Oh yeah the Facebook guys love your caps
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydorsey View Post
Jeez
lolll

Exclusive stuff, enjoy bud
Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #304

Fred.... please never design anything with 5 small set screws holding it again! Lol what a pita taking the old caps off. New ones look amazing!!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Fred.... please never design anything with 5 small set screws holding it again! Lol what a pita taking the old caps off. New ones look amazing!!
Good god... Martin this looks nice. Thanks for sharing bud. Keeping this PS version in 2xcopies. One in the caps folder and the other in the projector folder. Owe you huge brother. Thanks!

RE previous model's 5x set screws. Hmm, doable but not easy man, can't disagree here. Sorry about that... won't happen again.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #306

Look what just arrived:

Plans to wash the car (ugh - pollen) and then install these later this afternoon
soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #307

Garage
Nice color combination!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan1966 View Post
Look what just arrived:

Plans to wash the car (ugh - pollen) and then install these later this afternoon
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #308

Quote:
Look what just arrived:
Are those packing bags exploding due to altitude? That little post lady was so not impressed with my packaging skills... she said this is going pop loud in the cargo. Was she right?! we're they still sealed when you got them?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #309

Garage
dude that looks so badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO JEALOUS !!!!!!
Quote:
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #310

Quote:
Are those packing bags exploding due to altitude? That little post lady was so not impressed with my packaging skills... she said this is going pop loud in the cargo. Was she right?! we're they still sealed when you got them?
They were sealed perfectly still - not even a single bubble in the bubble wrap was popped.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
dude that looks so badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO JEALOUS !!!!!!
They look even better in person. They are just sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me to get them outside (quick T-storm just passed thru and I finish up work in a tad, then its out to wash the car and pop those suckers on). Will update with a pic after.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #312

Garage
Just arrived a little while ago. I'll take some proper photos of them installed sometime during the next week.

Absolutely brilliant, Fred. So lucky to have you on this forum!! Thanks so much.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #313

Quote:
Look what just arrived:

And here they are installed:

Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #314

I got mine..there is only one word for what Fred has done. SPECTACULAR! Its almost too gorgeous to put it on the car. I feel like it needs to be displayed with an Art Collection!
THANKS FRED! Now I want your projectors and anything else you decide to make. Fan for life!
2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #315

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
I also received mine Wednesday, will take a pic when I get them on. Thanks Fred.
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Absolutely brilliant, Fred.

Good lord, you have some style Kevin. Nice comp and lighting. Symmetry and all. Jeez man. Glad to hear you like them. And please go easy on us if you take some more pics (wish I had yours skills)

Brilliant software and machines, kudos goes to those assets. I'm just an operator loll
Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
I got mine..there is only one word for what Fred has done. SPECTACULAR!
Way too kind David, appreciate the kind words. Glad you like them

@Jim - way cool to see them on your car finally, looks cool bud. Boring and unchallenged install I presume? didn't take long for you to get them there. Got to be a better way lolll

@Terry - can't wait

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-09-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: google translate:great invention
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #318

Quote:

@Jim - way cool to see them on your car finally, looks cool bud. Boring and unchallenged install I presume? didn't take long for you to get them there. Got to be a better way lolll
I had the read the instructions earlier - put them in the fridge while I washed the cars (my 986 and the wife's speed yellow 987). Lined them up, first two prongs in then pushed the rest on - a little tap with the palm of my hand and right in. Very easy.

Thanks again
Old 06-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #319

People seem to like them here in Sweden too. Some believed I had converted to center bolts. 😁
After my explanation, though, one comment was that original looks better and this is like putting M3 badges on a 320...
Can't please everyone...
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:46 AM   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
People seem to like them here in Sweden too. Some believed I had converted to center bolts. ��
After my explanation, though, one comment was that original looks better and this is like putting M3 badges on a 320...
Can't please everyone...
The comments I am ALWAYS getting is “where the hell did you get those” or “man those are f n nice”. Occasionally comes from non-porsche owners and friendsa also. The recent comments we had for the latest caps here at the club is “HOLLY *&^&&^, whatever those cost I want them also” lollllll

Reminds me; when we were out on our monthly Porsche Drive, this guy (Spanish guy) comes up to me and asked if my car was a CGT?! He was so (soooooo) upset by the fact that my headlights and wheels were retrofitted. Standing there, red face, arms straight on the side of his body, literally getting ready to kick my ass. It was one of the most ‘porsche’ awkward moment I’ve ever experienced. As is scary as hell. The same guy who owns a Guards Red 996 with carbon fiber stickers/trims, road-rashed oem wheels, rusty lug bolts, Alibaba.com $5 knockoffs center caps, and old style yellow’ish headlights. When my mate later found out he had GT3 labeled floor carpets in his interior and told everyone, the guy magically disappeared we just never saw him again. Weird(est) dude ever!

You got to be careful who you play with in this Porsche/business man, weird dudes like this do exist (real)! You just can’t be into this “please everyone” thing, that will never work (see below; speaking with experience). Just have fun for 'yourself' my friend