Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Making a better air oil separator

Considering the AOS is an item sure to fail at some point with little notice, and the high potential for damage to the engine, it sure would be great if there was a version other than the Porsche design that would be easier to maintain and offer more reliable operation.

There are some smart talented people on this forum - is there anyone out there willing to come up with an improved design? I would think there is a decent market for an improved AOS. I have seen some great threads where guys have designed and installed a homemade AOS that seemed to work well. It would be awesome to never need worry about a smoke bomb attack!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Think I saw an aftermarket one in the $800 range IIRC!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

There IS one in the DIY section.

Stelan made his own, and although he did not create a full DIY with pictures, he did describe it in enough detail with a schematic that a DIY'er could recreate what he made and has been successful with.

Here is the link to the thread: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61861-more-stupid-aos-talk.html

With Stelan's design: http://986forum.com/forums/498956-post19.html

Looks like it has been working perfectly but we need a track tester and some more field reports as time goes on to see if it lasts.

Top it off, you'll be hard pressed to spend $75 to build it yourself.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-11-2016 at 08:30 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Well, they may be failure prone but on the other hand they're all 10-15 years old.

A pretty good design to have lasted that long.

Wouldn't waste in effort thinking of alternatives ... unless you're an experienced automotive design engineer.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

i think one of the things to note is that porsche has improved the design over the years - there are a number of iterations of the AOS. make sure you have the latest version and the likelyhood of failure is much less than the first version (which, if still on your car, is over 15 years old at this point).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i think one of the things to note is that porsche has improved the design over the years - there are a number of iterations of the AOS. make sure you have the latest version and the likelyhood of failure is much less than the first version (which, if still on your car, is over 15 years old at this point).
+1. I would also not that we see many more aftermarket AOS units fail prematurely than factory units.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

My version of an aftermarket AOS is about to be ready for sale, I wanted to have at least 5k miles of use in all driving conditions and it is reaching that point, it includes a long trip deep into central america from Texas and back. in the interim tooling was developed for fabrication. hopefully soon as I have been in Europe for a while due to work.
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Ben-Auto-Design

Stelan, you should make a thread about it and post some pictures! I want to see that
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
Stelan, you should make a thread about it and post some pictures! I want to see that
Sure will, thank you
Old 10-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

I cant wait to see it!!
engarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

Stelan is the only guy to actually Post a viable alternative system here. A few of us(me too) mumbled about Catch Cans but we never achieved anything.
It took a bit of prodding and encouragement from Forum members but Stelan was busy and the latest diagrams and improvements were well worth the wait.
What Stelan did not emphasize in his brief post above is that his system is a major simplification of the AOS system.
http://986forum.com/forums/498956-post19.html
It is worth reading the entire threads just to see how the concept developed.
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/61861-more-stupid-aos-talk.html
The simplification is important because it reduces the number of potential failure points.
The use of generic parts minimizes the cost & makes repairs/replacement easier- no special orders.
The generic parts can be upgraded from plastic to brass if desired.
The hoses can be upgraded to ones that do not split or crack. (Vacuum-specific Silicone)
The Stelan "AOS" is buried and would not be noticed as 'illegal' during the Visual part of Smog Check.
It is reversible, inexpensive,easily sourced and upgradable.
The Stock aftermarket AOS units are reported to be failing prematurely.Fitting a free replacement does not guarantee a good unit. Some are duds out of the box ! R&R of an AOS is a miserable job.Stelan's is much easier.
Rather like Ben006's ball-bearing Shifter and his Intake, Stelan's "AOS" may benefit from a little refinement during the concept stage but it is great home-brew answer to a chronic problem.
Thanks for helping us Stelan.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Stelan Aftermarket AOS

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/64368-stelan-aftermarket-aos.html