Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BayArea
Posts: 45
Axle Boots, Disconnect What?

So, looking at the job, you would just need to disconnect the UJ from the Trans, then remove it, right? Then slide the new boots down to the wheel end, and replace the trans end after re-attaching the UJ and torquing it back to the trans? No Need to remove the axle bolt at the wheel, correct?
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSSS View Post
So, looking at the job, you would just need to disconnect the UJ from the Trans, then remove it, right? Then slide the new boots down to the wheel end, and replace the trans end after re-attaching the UJ and torquing it back to the trans? No Need to remove the axle bolt at the wheel, correct?
Incorrect. The boots slide over the axle, ahead of the CV joints, so to replace them, the axle comes out of the car, and the CV joints come off. You will find there is little to no room to do what you describe while it is still in the car.

__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-06-2016 at 07:14 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design
 
Ben006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: French Riviera
Posts: 774
You don't need to remove the axle from the car, and in fact can slide both boots out while removing only one CV joint.

You'll need to lift the car fairly high to make it easier.
Remove the bracings and midpipes, the just unbolt the inner CV joints.

Pop the end cap (hammer and punch), remove the clip on the axle, and the joint should slide out.

If it doesn't, you'll need a puller.

Be careful to use quality boot clamps, or the grease will sling out!

If you don't have access to a lift, you'll have a hard time doing it on the car. If you can take them out, do it.
__________________
ASE certified Automotive Master Technician.
Porsche Tech in France.
www.benautodesign.fr
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
2001 986 S, Manual, all black.

Last edited by Ben006; 08-07-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,973
I wouldn't want to do them on the car, especially if you are trying to clean out old grease etc. iI's a messy job! Besides, you might want to consider pulling the hubs and doing wheel bearings at the same time!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BayArea
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
You don't need to remove the axle from the car, and in fact can slide both boots out while removing only one CV joint.

You'll need to lift the car fairly high to make it easier.
Remove the bracings and midpipes, the just unbolt the inner CV joints.

Pop the end cap (hammer and punch), remove the clip on the axle, and the joint should slide out.

If it doesn't, you'll need a puller.

Be careful to use quality boot clamps, or the grease will sling out!

If you don't have access to a lift, you'll have a hard time doing it on the car. If you can take them out, do it.
Followed this exact procedure, would add, remove the sway bar. Slow going, but if you keep at it, it works. UJ, outers were a bit gummy, dry, inners were better lubed, Mechanically, everything seemed fine, More than ample room, once you remove the mids and Sway bar, just pulled the outer boots down the shaft. Don't forget your clamps!









Last edited by SilverSSS; 08-21-2016 at 08:44 AM.
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Registered User
 
jsceash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,372
Garage
+1 with Ben's description. I've done both this way. The clip mentioned is a external snap ring. Use a good tool it's a heavy snap ring and if it gets stretched replace it also.
__________________
2003 Boxster 3.6 LN Nickies Black
NHP exhaust, 987 Intake, IPD Plenum, 74 MM Throtle body, L&N Pan Extension, L&N IMS, RSS Underdrive pulley, Recaro Pole Position seats, Accusump, Remote filter, Softronics Flashed ECU, GSR electric power steering pump Kit. GT3 control arm, KSport coil overs
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,031
Doing it the car takes way too long, it is much quicker if you just pull the axle and do it on the bench. In the shop, time is literally money, so doing both correctly and quickly is essential.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-21-2016 at 06:56 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
jsceash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,372
Garage
If your charging that time to the customer. for a DIY guy?
The big problem from point is the average DIY guy is the torque spec for the axle nut. Unless you rent or borrow the heavy torque wrench the job suddenly get 2-4 times as expensive. 50-400 and 100-500 ft/lb torque wrenches are pricey for the average joe to just have sitting around for one or 2 uses.
__________________
2003 Boxster 3.6 LN Nickies Black
NHP exhaust, 987 Intake, IPD Plenum, 74 MM Throtle body, L&N Pan Extension, L&N IMS, RSS Underdrive pulley, Recaro Pole Position seats, Accusump, Remote filter, Softronics Flashed ECU, GSR electric power steering pump Kit. GT3 control arm, KSport coil overs
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Miami florida
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
If your charging that time to the customer. for a DIY guy?
The big problem from point is the average DIY guy is the torque spec for the axle nut. Unless you rent or borrow the heavy torque wrench the job suddenly get 2-4 times as expensive. 50-400 and 100-500 ft/lb torque wrenches are pricey for the average joe to just have sitting around for one or 2 uses.
Don't need no stinkin torque wrench. Take the torque spec, 340 and divide by your real weight (no cheating). That gives you a distance measurement in feet. Now take a long breaker bar and mark out calculated distance. With the breaker bar parallel to the floor, put a foot on the mark and stand on the bar with all your weight.

There, human torque wrench.

Torque=lbs x feet
__________________
Current car

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: BayArea
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Don't need no stinkin torque wrench. Take the torque spec, 340 and divide by your real weight (no cheating). That gives you a distance measurement in feet. Now take a long breaker bar and mark out calculated distance. With the breaker bar parallel to the floor, put a foot on the mark and stand on the bar with all your weight.

There, human torque wrench.

Torque=lbs x feet

Love it! lol.
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page