Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 AM   #1

need help with repainting tool

Hi
I need advice because I can not resolve the problem alone. I do the repainting of the bumper. I ordered a 3 phase motor for my air compressor, but it seems that it is impossible to mount it. In my garage I have 1 phase. What adaptor or connector should I buy to power the air compressor?

jackval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #2

I'm no electrical expert... but you're not going to be able to tap a 1 phase connection to power 3 phase equipment. You're going to have to contact your electric company and have them run the additional power to convert your location to 3 phase power.
dijinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #3

Call the manufacturer of the compressor, and see if they offer a single phase motor that can swap directly in.

The other option is a 'variable frequency drive', but converting single to three phase you need to oversize the VFD by 100%. (ex 1hp single phase motor would require a 2hp VFD) ABB ACH550 UH 04A6 2 AC HVAC Drive 4 6 Amp 3 Phase 0 500Hz | eBay

Also, you will be limited to 208v motor, so if you have a 480v 3phase motor you are out of luck.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM   #4

I agree with alm001.

The easiest way to exchange them motor for a single phase.

Otherwise you will need a phase converter. You can make one yourself. Do a search on the interwebs, I'm sure there are plans freely available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7sgy1JR1s
emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackval View Post
Hi
I need advice because I can not resolve the problem alone. I do the repainting of the bumper. I ordered a 3 phase motor for my air compressor, but it seems that it is impossible to mount it. In my garage I have 1 phase. What adaptor or connector should I buy to power the air compressor?
You don't need parts, you need a licensed electrician to run the multiphase power to your compressor and connect it properly.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Most homes do not have 3phase power. Commercial/industrial buildings generally do

To convert single phase to 3 phase would require a converter. They are not very cheap.

You are best off exchanging the motor for a single phase model
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by emore93 View Post
I agree with alm001.

The easiest way to exchange them motor for a single phase.

Otherwise you will need a phase converter. You can make one yourself. Do a search on the interwebs, I'm sure there are plans freely available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7sgy1JR1s
yes, exchange is the best way

Buildings one would cost the same as the motor or more as a DIY one is basically a motor being used as a generator
Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

I'm in the same boat with my 550v three phase lathe. Not interested in ponying up the cash to bring three phase to the garage. Looking into rewiring the motor for 240 with phase converter or stripping it out and redoing the whole thing for 240v single phase. No easy solutions...
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
inveniam viam aut faciam

There is no need to use a three phase large commercial compressor just to paint a bumper, let alone an entire car. Running three phase power to a residence is silly expensive, and I would question if you could even get it done. A friend with a business had to pay many thousands to get three phase into his shop. A phase converter would work, but the cost and difficulty in getting it to work properly would not be worthwhile. In my experience, phase converters often need to be tweaked to get to work properly depending on the load. The two guys that I know went that route spent more than than they would have just getting it converted to single phase or replacing the equipment. You would need to paint a lot of cars to make that worth the cost and effort.

My suggestion is to get the bumper painted at a body shop, or get a single phase motor to use with your compressor or new compressor (likely cheaper than that three phase motor) if you are stuck on doing it yourself. I have painted a few cars in my day with a decent 240V compressor with a big air tank.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
or use plastic-dip rattle cans
Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Jackval, can you post some pictures to give us a better idea of what you are looking at? We all love pictures, and it would possibly reveal a better solution.
I have two compressors:

A small 5 gallon compressor that would be minimally adequate to paint a bumper, running at constant duty. Plugs into a standard household outlet. Cost under $200.

A 60 gallon 240V compressor that easily provides the pressure and volume for painting an entire car. I wired it to plug into the same outlet that is used by a clothes dryer. Cost $500 to $1200.

Your requirements for a compressor will also vary depending on your spray equipment. As others have said, You may be best served by getting a premixed spray can or two from an auto parts store that sells paint or an online vendor such as 'Scratch Wizard'.

Post again since you have a bunch of us interested in the problem, but you may best solve the problem with your three-phase by asking an electrician. I don't doubt that we have a few experts here, but we are more about the cars than how to wire your garage.

Last edited by 78F350; 12-19-2015 at 09:45 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:36 PM   #12

Well, it will be expensive to add 3 phase to my garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Call the manufacturer of the compressor, and see if they offer a single phase motor that can swap directly in.

The other option is a 'variable frequency drive', but converting single to three phase you need to oversize the VFD by 100%. (ex 1hp single phase motor would require a 2hp VFD) ABB ACH550 UH 04A6 2 AC HVAC Drive 4 6 Amp 3 Phase 0 500Hz | eBay

Also, you will be limited to 208v motor, so if you have a 480v 3phase motor you are out of luck.
How do you think, will this VFD work for my motor? https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/general-purpose-motors/26523_vm3546_baldor/

jackval is offline   Reply With Quote