Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #161
Ben-Auto-Design

Sorry PKP I didn't had time to research wether or not it would fit the 3.6 :/

Winter.K, It's stereolithography, they basically melt nylon powder with a laser, layer by layer, you have a better precision and it's much stronger than the hot ABS wire printer that you can buy for 300$.

About sharing the file, the thing is, if I give you the file, I must give it to anyone, and therefor I become useless.
Right now I don't have enough money to print the new version, if you want to try it, we can do something, I PM you.

Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #162

Hey Ben, I totally understand. Your design, keep it safe!

As for the process, I ask because I wonder about the durability of the 3D printing. I'm an engineer myself and we use Viper SLA machines for prototyping designs. They can be very high precision but the material (usually translucent) always yellows and becomes brittle within months. You can probably imagine what I'm getting at... Additive ABS might last longer if its strong enough. I'm no expert though, does your shop have other options?
winter.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:38 AM   #163

Boxster Intake Proto

Hi Ben I have been watching and I am interested. Mine is a 03S. E mail me details to try one. Leebherron@netscape.net
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:00 AM   #164

Winter.K,

Ben006 is utilizing SLS (selective laser sintering) of nylon powder which results in a very durable thermoplastic part rather than SLA (most typically is a UV laser cured photopolymer liquid) which results in brittle non-thermally stable part.

In my opinion, SLS nylon is an ideal material/technology for prototyping and/or short production runs of this type of part. FDM ABS would be difficult to build without support structure (extensive post build processing) and would be weak and not thermally stable in an under hood environment
gdotcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #165
Ben-Auto-Design

SLS !
that's the right name !

That's what it is, nylon powder melted by a laser, sorry for that error and thank you for correcting

Thanks gdotcvg !

Ben
Old 12-22-2015, 03:19 AM   #166

Been a while since an update, hows it coming along?
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #167
Ben-Auto-Design

Sorry, I was over in France for vacation and didn't had time to do anything :/ and I still don't have enough money ...

So, I decided that it was just a waste of time for you because I won't be able to test it ...

IF SOMEONE WANTS TO TEST IT SERIOUSLY, I'LL GIVE HIM A LINK SO HE CAN BUY IT AT COST PRICE.
Just PM me.

This is the last version, with the wedge and improved stiffness (1mm thicker + ribs) and better vacuum pick ups.

The only thing is that you will need to prep it yourself, it's not hard.

For now that's the best I can do, deliver a half tested product.

Ben
Old 01-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #168
B6T

I'm seriously impressed by your CATIA skills. That's certainly not an easy program to use, and you seem to have modeled your part flawlessly. Way to go.

I'll have access to a FDM machine soon. We have a makerbot at work but just got a bigger/better machine in this week (cost only $3000 so don't expect miracles).
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #169
Ben-Auto-Design

Thank you
I like Solidworks better but only have access to Catia now. everything takes more time with Catia !

I had never heard of the markerbot, but it looks like it does quite good, but it's FDM. I don't know if it's tough enough to endure the stress, even with the new design.

Ben
Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #170

There is a member here who is all into engine modifications and also 3D printing. I bet he is missing these cool threads (not a (very)active member). Contact member epapp, sure he'd be willing to give it a go, dunno.

Epapp got sensors/telemetry stuff also so you might get some data out of him, one day, who knows. Worth a try

Cool work Ben (I'm a fan)
Old 01-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #171
Ben-Auto-Design

Ahah, thank you, I appreciate your support !

I'll try to contact them!

Even if someone doesn't have anything to collect data, you can still give it a try.
I think I had enough data to see how it does without the wedge to be confident that it will perform even better with it.

Ben.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #172
Ben-Auto-Design

Hi guys!

I'm done with the shifters... I can go back on this project!

So... the next version is "ready", I just want to check some dimensions again, to make sure, and I will have it printed so I can test the new shape.
Then if it is successful, which I have almost no doubt about, I'll make it available for everyone.

I thought about having it molded (aluminium or nylon66 like the stock plenum) like Nine8six advised me, but that would mean doing a production and I don't have the time or the money to do so, that would also make the part a lot more expensive for no reason other than the fact that people might be more comfortable with something made from a material they know well :/
Tell me how you feel about it!

For those still worried about the printed part melting, just remember that the original intake tube is 1mm thick ABS plastic (melting point 200°F lower than nylon), it's exposed to the same temperature, and it doesn't melt at all.
The only difference is that the plenum is under a greater pressure differential, hence the webbing on the new version to stiffen it.

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #173
Ben-Auto-Design

Mmmmh
Tuesday I'll go see a foundry, I might be able to make them out of aluminum without having to do a big /expensive production!

We'll see!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #174

Is there that much of an advantage using the 83 throttle vs the 76?

Last edited by madmodz; 10-01-2016 at 08:43 PM.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #175
Ben-Auto-Design

I can't tell, I haven't try.

But the 83mm being at least 300$, it defeats the purpose of a "cheap" upgrade :/
A 911 76mm TB only costs 50 to 60$ used!

On the 2.7 the 83mm is totally overkill, and even for the 3.2 I don't think it's worth it.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #176
B6T

So... did you guys know the IPD manifold was patented...
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #177
Ben-Auto-Design

Yes.

Pedro, FVD, Champion, and more have also made a similar product.

I haven't stole their idea, neither did I reused their design. (If I did reuse a design, it is more of the original design than theirs. But what looks more like a tube than a tube ?)

And since I'm aiming at a totally different kind of people, I'm not ripping them off of any of their potential customer.

The IPD is a superb part, with "air bearings", a CFD designed shape, and that is 100% plug and play. For those who want to be the fastest and the best product, at any price.

Mine is a simple design, only available through this forum, plastic or aluminum we don't know yet. That will require the use of a custom intake tube to fit (even if it's not really hard to do, it's not included) made for those who can't afford a 1000$ part like this, but still want to have a little fun modifying their cars.

I don't think IPD has any reason to worry about me!

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #178
B6T

What you said is totally debatable and the reason why patent lawyers exist...

Once you get into selling parts and affecting companies bottom lines, you open up a whole big ugly can of worms.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #179
Ben-Auto-Design

Well if IPD tells me to stop, of course I will!
I do that mostly for fun, nothing worth getting in trouble for. That would be counterproductive!

But if they haven't bother big(ger) companies, I'm not too worried.

There is very little probability that they haven't seen this thread yet!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #180

Garage
Ben,

I wouldn't worry too much about comments concerning patentability or infringement as of yet. I would stay away from cast aluminum, since that is the same materials of construction used by another supplier and may be an integral part of a patent.

The patent holder bears the burden of proof to show that the defendant infringed the patent. The plaintiff must prove infringement by a preponderance of the evidence. This standard means that the greater weight of the evidence must show that the patent is infringed.

If you have concerns or want to take this item from a DIY project and make it a marketable product, go see an attorney familiar with this area of the law.

I am not an attorney, but I am interested in your DIY project and hope to purchase one soon. Best of luck.