Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #421

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Can't wait to see Herbert's "amber" kit. That should be quite cool as well

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. Still have to do a better one with my Canon

hemonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #422
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemonu View Post
Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. Still have to do a better one with my Canon
Nice! I like the match to the interior lights
Old 02-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #423
Run

Just added myself to the list on the site. I will take the tough as nails version :dance:
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #424

Quote:

Whoa, you got a silver boxster car... amber lighting and silver paint got to be the best combo, can't wait to see this with a canon. Let's have a look!

Thx Hebert

edit. Is it just the camera or the WD amber temp is the exact same as the Porsche amber lighting? from the radio it looks as it is. Got to find time and try that kit on my boxster here

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-16-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run View Post
Just added myself to the list on the site. I will take the tough as nails version :dance:
Your on man!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:33 AM   #426

Garage
Quote:
edit. Is it just the camera or the WD amber temp is the exact same as the Porsche amber lighting? from the radio it looks as it is. Got to find time and try that kit on my boxster here
It's a bit of both. On the picture it is much more "white-ish" than in reality, but it didn't match 100%. I took the picture with my phone and I really have to play a bit with manual exposure and white balance to match reality. A camera sensor is something very different from our retina. Sensors react to many color components our eyes cannot see like e.g. infrared. On the other hand dynamic range is very very poor compared to our eye. Will be back from Paris on wednesday night this week and hopefully weather will allow some better pictures before end of week.

Nevertheless it's gorgeous :dance:

Herbert
hemonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #427

I also added my info at the site. This looks like an excellent project for my new to me '02 Boxster.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #428
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I finally got around to wiring mine in.

At first I was just going to do the splice, but after getting a good look at my center console, I decided that I'm going to completely refinish it (another day). That being the case I decided to add a plug for the connector so that it is easy to pull when I do the console.

I plan to fit the control knob to one of the unused oval switch positions (heated seat switch - not installed in mine) behind the ashtray. Has anyone done this yet?

Mine is Amber and I eagerly await my Amber Bi-Xenons.

Embrace the Amber:

Cut, then extend the wire:

Splice and add plug:

Add plug to WD harness:

Plug it in:

Last edited by 78F350; 02-27-2015 at 04:07 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #429

Garage
Quote:
Is it just the camera or the WD amber temp is the exact same as the Porsche amber lighting? from the radio it looks as it is. Got to find time and try that kit on my boxster here
Hi,
perfect top down weather during this weekend and hereby a picture, which gives a better impression on the amber.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I finally got around to wiring mine in.

At first I was just going to do the splice, but after getting a good look at my center console, I decided that I'm going to completely refinish it (another day). That being the case I decided to add a plug for the connector so that it is easy to pull when I do the console.

I plan to fit the control knob to one of the unused oval switch positions (heated seat switch - not installed in mine) behind the ashtray. Has anyone done this yet?

Mine is Amber and I eagerly await my Amber Bi-Xenons.

Embrace the Amber:

Cut, then extend the wire:

Splice and add plug:

Add plug to WD harness:

Plug it in:
I wished you had this installed when I was there. I would have loved to look at it.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #431
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
I wished you had this installed when I was there. I would have loved to look at it.
Actually it was installed. We got so busy with the parts car, that I forgot to show it off.

Sunday, I did one more update to the WD install. A false bottom for the console storage compartment to cover the switch and wires:

Cut out from a piece of scrap plastic

Place in the tray over the wires and switch:

Done:
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #432
98 Boxster

Added myself to the list as well. Hopefully you're still making SkyBreakers?
Roxshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #433

Looking forward to placing an order for the new tough version. Added it to my wish list on the Gtprojectors website I think the page is down at the moment though.
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #434

Jeez, I've been away from the forum for 6 months and when I come back more interesting ideas have been put into production.

Very cool Fred.

I had started a thread in 2012 on edge lighting ideas but there did not seem to be much interest.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37335-diy-led-light-accents.html#post305655

Perhaps DIY vs Get it done for you was the missing ingredient.

I like the edge lit crest but having other options is great.

I wonder what happened to the clear engine cover and lighting idea? You could have your own Flux Capacitor light show in your engine compartment.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-23-2015 at 06:02 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #435

Added to wish list

I need this. Can't wait until it's available.
Josephjochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 AM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjochoa View Post
I need this. Can't wait until it's available.
Me too - I'm checking on here daily to see if there's any update! Though I was one of the many that swamped Fred with a headlight order in his last run, so I take some responsibility for the delay.

I still can't decide on which colour backlihght to go with - I have silver with a blue hood - has anyone tried the blue backlight with this combo? Or red backlight? Would love to see pics if so.

Thanks
blackandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #437

Quote:
Hi,
perfect top down weather during this weekend and hereby a picture, which gives a better impression on the amber.
I meant to say this before today: THANK YOU!!!

I absolutely love the setting of that picture Herbert. That's a keeper for me

Thx again bro
Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #438

Quick Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post
Me too - I'm checking on here daily to see if there's any update! Though I was one of the many that swamped Fred with a headlight order in his last run, so I take some responsibility for the delay.

I still can't decide on which colour backlihght to go with - I have silver with a blue hood - has anyone tried the blue backlight with this combo? Or red backlight? Would love to see pics if so.

Thanks
Rox, BoxterPHD, Joseph, all, thanks for the support. Well received guys. I've seen your reg on that GTP site so I'm keeping you guys priority on everything!

Quick Update: I am happy to say that I have finally received 100 (one hundred!) "professionally" coated panels for the manufacturing of the Boxster Illuminated wind deflector. High Quality Stuff! So so (sooooo) happy about that. Received them last Wed. 2 month wait but worth it believe me, they-are-killer.

(Its hard to rush a guy/manufacturer who enforce a MOQ of 10,000pcs/month lollll I'm so bloody grateful he did those for us - making new friends here!)

So finally we have something to play with. From those 100, there are 20'ish reserved to previous SkyBreaker owners (prod recall) so that leaves us with little over 80 kits. Hopefully this time we should have enough for everyone.

I also received 100 PWM controllers/boards so no more excuses, those SkyBreaker kits are going in prod as soon as next week! Good mate Andy is as involved as I am in the making of the SkyBreaker so it should go pretty quick assembly & packaging wise

I'll update on the progress, pics, etc!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #439

^^
Great news. Thanks for the update Fred. This is one mod I'm really looking forward to doing
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #440

Garage
AWESOME....can't wait!! Love to see your work Fred.

drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote